Mouldy shed roof, do I need to replace it?

Soldato
The felt on my shed was worn out and I had small leaks all over the shed. Consequently the whole of the roof on the inside is now mouldy.

Research online suggests spraying with bleach, leaving for a while and then scrubbing off with hot soapy water. I have done a test patch and the timber is still very black.
The roof is made from tanalised tongue and groove.

I have some bitumen sheets and fixings ordered which should be here in a few days.

My question is should I replace the tongue and groove with some OSB or leave it?
I don't know if the black marks left behind are harmless or not?

Soldato
No point treating mould until it's thoroughly dry, and no point drying it until the leaks are sorted. Ergo, fix leaks > ventilate well > treat/replace mouldy bits.
While i can see where you are coming from.He cant fix leaks then decide to replace mouldy bits
If he does he has to re roof with new felt again
So i would decide first if you are going to use new boards
if not pull off old felt,let dry for a day or so,treat with wood preserver etc then allow to dry a bit then re roof with whatever

Vents are a good idea too

Soldato
In this weather it shouldn't take long to dry completely.

I'd remove the felt completely and temporally cover it with a well secured tarpaulin. Let it dry, get it treated, and then re-felt.

Soldato
OP
roof was dry already to be fair.

I removed all the old felt and weirdly the top of the roof boards was not mouldy at all..
I have now fitted onduline roofing on top of the T&G and my plan is to treat all the mold on the inside over the coming couple of weeks.
WIll take a little while simply because of moving everything around to make sure I don't cover everything with bleach

Last edited:
Soldato
You can buy chemicals designed for the job that don't involve bleach.

Use one of them and you won't need to worry so much about it getting onto other stuff (or yourself).

Back
Top Bottom