• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4790k 4 Core @ 4.4 Ghz V Xeon 6 Core 5650 @ 4ghz - GTX 1080

Caporegime
so overclocked to 4.2 its about the same as a stock 5820k in cinebench.

a 6700k at 4.7 ghz scores 1000
a 5820k at 4.6ghz scores 1300

nice to see the 970 sli scores.faster than a 1080.

Associate
On a i7-980x after all these years and about the same speed as a Xeon x5650? (I'm on 4.2 regular clocks, but does 4.4 easy). Thinking of an upgrade from two old GTX 480s ( I know) but.....to what ?

Tony.

Permabanned
In pretty much every game ipc over core count. Synthetics are designed for core count, most games even now are not.

Newer games are now better at multi-threading tho. The division loves threads. It is butter smooth using all 12 threads evenly on my i7 970.

Also many games use more than 4 cores / threads. BF4 uses 6 from memory on my rig. That's a big handicap for i5's without HT (for example).

You'd be better of with a 4790k if gaming's your PC's primary use. As mentioned you'll see a big performance difference in lots of games, I'd put money on the majority of games favouring the Haswell chip.
There's very few games that are going to take advantage of more than 4 cores & 8 threads.
If you turned off the extra cores & threads on the Xeon & matched it clock for clock you'd see a big difference and that's where it'll matter for gaming,
With just a handful of games that do use more cores and threads properly it's a no brainer,

bru

bru

Soldato
You'd be better of with a 4790k if gaming's your PC's primary use. As mentioned you'll see a big performance difference in lots of games, I'd put money on the majority of games favouring the Haswell chip.
There's very few games that are going to take advantage of more than 4 cores & 8 threads.
If you turned off the extra cores & threads on the Xeon & matched it clock for clock you'd see a big difference and that's where it'll matter for gaming,
With just a handful of games that do use more cores and threads properly it's a no brainer,

Probably right but certainly not worth changing if you already have a Xeon system.

Back
Top Bottom