Poll: German Grand Prix 2018, Hockenheim - Race 11/21

Rate the 2018 German Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
FIA International Sporting Code, Appendix L, Chapter 4, Article 4 d) states: "Except in cases of force majeure (accepted as such by the stewards), the crossing, in any direction, of the line separating the pit entry and the track by a car entering the pit lane is prohibited."
Why are there different penalties you can give for the same black and white breaking of a rule.

Soldato
If that is a jab at team orders then why are you not jabbing Ferrari for the same?

Because that’s different I guess?!... lol! Vettel didn’t even try to overtake him, just asked for him to be moved. Cracked me up when Kimi made him say it publicly too. :D

I don’t know why the Hamilton haters are so upset?? If their man didn’t decide to bin it he would’ve won and they wouldn’t need to be hoping for a Hamilton points reduction to help them out..

Soldato
FIA International Sporting Code, Appendix L, Chapter 4, Article 4 d) states: "Except in cases of force majeure (accepted as such by the stewards), the crossing, in any direction, of the line separating the pit entry and the track by a car entering the pit lane is prohibited."
Why are there different penalties you can give for the same black and white breaking of a rule.
JHnI1tz.jpg

Charlie also stated previously
As you can see below, FIA race director Charlie Whiting has been speaking to the media.

Some headline bullet points as we await the Hamilton outcome:

- "No specific precedent" for this situation - stresses Raikkonen in Baku was specific to that event

- No Ferrari protest

- While he is not part of the stewards, Whiting reckons any penalty would most likely be 'on the lower end of the scale' of the options available

And

FIA race director Charlie Whiting on stewards' decision: "Anything is possible. They might tell him [Hamilton] off. They might give him a reprimand. They might give him a five-second, or 10-second penalty, but the likely one would be on the lower end of the scale."

Soldato
Because that’s different I guess?!... lol! Vettel didn’t even try to overtake him, just asked for him to be moved. Cracked me up when Kimi made him say it publicly too. :D

I don’t know why the Hamilton haters are so upset?? If their man didn’t decide to bin it he would’ve won and they wouldn’t need to be hoping for a Hamilton points reduction to help them out..

This is more about the FIA's lack of consistency in dishing out penalties, as mentioned below:

Soldato

They gave them the benefit of the doubt due to the mitigating circumstances that were it was under a safety car, the team candidly admited their mistake and no one else was in danger. I find it funny that they werent even thinking about investigating it over the remaining laps. It’s almost like someone has been in the FIA’s ear afterwards...

Man of Honour

They have to blame someone else...

Associate
So some rules you can get away with breaking if its safe to do so? that makes no sense.

I reckon hamilton put the pedal down to try and pull out a lead incase he got a penalty, you could hear in his voice he was unhappy at the time of the teams late call, almost as if he expected repercussions

Soldato
If someone breaks the rule they should be penalised, plain and simple, no matter who you are or who you drive for.

They are trying to promote consistency but do the complete opposite.

The problem is, since when have all of F1’s rules had fixed penalties? They always leave it up to stewards to decide. Even in this case Charlie whiting himself gave the options of a reprimand, 5 or 10 second penalty?!? Maybe the rules do need to have fixed penalties, maybe they don’t. The only people who can change it are the people that don’t seem to want to change it. I.e all the groups that make up F1 as a whole. FIA, LM and the teams themselves.

So some rules you can get away with breaking if its safe to do so? that makes no sense.

I reckon hamilton put the pedal down to try and pull out a lead incase he got a penalty, you could hear in his voice he was unhappy at the time of the teams late call, almost as if he expected repercussions

Did you hear the audio? It was a complete mess of stay out’s and come in’s. What would you have done in that situation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
The problem is, since when have all of F1’s rules had fixed penalties? They always leave it up to stewards to decide. Even in this case Charlie whiting himself gave the options of a reprimand, 5 or 10 second penalty?!? Maybe the rules do need to have fixed penalties, maybe they don’t. The only people who can change it are the people that don’t seem to want to change it. I.e all the groups that make up F1 as a whole. FIA, LM and the teams themselves.

Well if they want to be consistent then they need to make changes and maybe that needs fixed penalties.

Soldato
He didnt "get away with" it though, he got reprimanded

18) SANCTIONS

18.2 Any driver who receives three reprimands in the same Championship season will, upon the imposition of the third, be given a ten grid place penalty at that Event. If the third reprimand is imposed following an Incident during a race the ten grid place penalty will be applied at the driver’s next Event. The ten grid place penalty will only be imposed if at least two of the reprimands were imposed for a driving infringement.

Although highly unlikely this could factor in later in the season, so he's kept the race win but not got away with it completely.

I think the outcome was fair and just common sense.

Associate
Don't get me wrong, I hate it when results are changed after the race. But as already said why wasn't it "under investigation" during the race. They had time for another incident during the safety car to investigate it and give a penalty.

Soldato
Don't get me wrong, I hate it when results are changed after the race. But as already said why wasn't it "under investigation" during the race. They had time for another incident during the safety car to investigate it and give a penalty.
Thats another issue entirely, and I agree this should have been dealt with before the final lap or at least flagged up to be investigated.

Soldato

If it wasn't for the rain and the last quarter of the race it would have been very dull. It became enjoyable despite the majority of "overtaking" being made by Hamilton but clearly no one was challenging him when he did. Made it all a bit false.

Caporegime

He didn't get away with it, he got a reprimand. The least severe form of rules penalty (they can also simply warn the driver). The rules offer that as the least severe form because it is appropriate in some cases. As in most sports some transgressions (such as, I dunno, deliberately ramming another driver under the safety car) are considered more severe than others (leaving the track) and the penalties are calibrated to that. In this case there was no risk to other drivers, so there was no real need for a more serious penalty.

LzR

LzR

Associate
If someone breaks the rule they should be penalised, plain and simple, no matter who you are or who you drive for.

They are trying to promote consistency but do the complete opposite.
Oh give it a rest would you? There are mitigating factors and different circumstances applied to any and every given situation, no two instances are the same, which is why it's not so simple as 'someone breaking the rules'. If you want to continue with that though, vettel should have been banned for intentionally ramming Lewis last year, right? but lets ignore that for your sake hey? :rolleyes:

Yes of course, Hamilton pulled out a miracle lead over the rest of the field just in case he got a penalty because that's all you need to suddenly gain time on your rivals, the threat of a penalty.

Next race 'Bono': Lewis you might get a penalty so gain an extra 2 seconds per lap would you old chap? Yes no problem me old mate, screw the tyres and physics i'll just hammer a few extra seconds out of fantasy land for you, cheers.

This is why i don't bother posting anymore there's so much ******** here it's tiring.

Associate
Yes of course, Hamilton pulled out a miracle lead over the rest of the field just in case he got a penalty because that's all you need to suddenly gain time on your rivals, the threat of a penalty.

Next race 'Bono': Lewis you might get a penalty so gain an extra 2 seconds per lap would you old chap? Yes no problem me old mate, screw the tyres and physics i'll just hammer a few extra seconds out of fantasy land for you, cheers.

This is why i don't bother posting anymore there's so much ******** here it's tiring.

There are numerous examples of this in the past, where a penalty has been expected/given and a drive has had to pull out a lead. Hamilton had no need to pull out a 5 second lead over his team mate at the end with team orders in place, why else risk it? Bearing in mind that they spend so much of races now driving below the cars/drivers potential (especially the leader) its not so much of an ask is it?

Back
Top Bottom