• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How Much Warning Before Nvidia Release

Associate
I'm desperate to upgrade, I bought a 1050 as a stop gap some months back after waiting since I built a new Ryzen system last year & the GPU prices went through the roof. Right after I bought the 1050 the prices dropped a bit. :mad:I don't want to fall in that trap again. When the new Nvidias are released it is doubtful that they will be in my price range so I'll be looking at 1070s or 1080s. I'm only interested in new (not used) so I'll have to move fast.

So when they give us an official launch date how much notice do the tend to give, days, weeks, months?

EDIT I'm not asking you how soon it will be until release. Just the amount of notice they tend to give

Last edited:
Associate
It will go out on the emergency broadcast system at least ten minutes before release :p

On a more serious note, it is unlikely Nvidia will say anything until the last possible moment as they won't want to impact sales of 10 series.

Rumours of event invites are usually a bit of a clue but even those have been a bit misleading this year.

Gamescom next month is the latest rumoured announcement but we will have to wait and see.

Associate
OP
Maybe my question wasn't clear. I'm not asking if it is releasing soon or about stock levels. Or for your predictions on release date itself.

When they make the announcement of the launch date, will they announce it the day of the release or a week before the release, or a month before? What is the normal pattern?

Associate
Maybe my question wasn't clear. I'm not asking if it is releasing soon or about stock levels. Or for your predictions on release date itself.

When they make the announcement of the launch date, will they announce it the day of the release or a week before the release, or a month before? What is the normal pattern?

All of the above have happened in the past, there isn't really a norm I'm afraid.

Soldato
Associate
So when they give us an official launch date how much notice do the tend to give, days, weeks, months?

Last time round, it went something like this:
1st week May 2016 announced.
1 week later pre-orders start for founders cards.
27th May founders cards are released.
2pm 27th pre orders for non founders start. OCUK web server gets hammered and goes down for 15 minutes.

3 fan cards from big name manufacturers come in a month ish later.
Some people still haven't got their Evga pre orders by end of August.

Soldato
21st Aug - 25th Aug is Gamescom, where Nvidia are EXPECTED to make an announcement regards the 11-series cards. No confirmation that they will however, and we've been burned there before. I won't hold my breath until I hear the words come out of Jensen's mouth! And if they are announced, who knows when we'll get our hands on them... a month later perhaps, but in small numbers, so price will be crazy out of the gate, making a second hand 1080Ti look far more attractive no doubt! And then you have to recognise that the 1180Ti will probably follow 7-9 months later... decisions, decisions!

Caporegime
I expect this time round there will be a hard launch with cards against the next day or 1 week later. Nvidia have been building stock waiting for Pascal to shift, they won't be rushing the announcement.

Soldato
Until you see the wink stock hasnt happened. I expect a hard launch backed up by decent stock though. For all the questions about why Nvidia would release with no competitive card from AMD, they still have to maintain cadence of R&D and manufacture. You aren't just going to give all your engineers 6 months off.

Soldato
Nvidia would want to shift as many of their Pascal GPU at as high price as possible before getting rid of them at much lower EOL price, so considering that since one of their partner returned 300K chips to them, and it doesn't look like AMD would have anything that would be much threat to them anytime soon, they are going to drag out this gen as long as possible.

It's make no sense for them to compete against themselves with new products devaluing old stock that they still need to shift...if anything they will most likely pull the same as the 7950 vs GTX 670/680 wait for AMD to show their hands first, then they would have a bar to aim for in terms how how far down they can cut down on the mid-range chip to just be tiny bit ahead of AMD's offering and calling it a "xx80".

Base on the pattern of Nvidia's pass gen releases, it would most likely be either:
1. If they decide to wait for AMD's next release before releasing theirs, and AMD's next offering still doesn't exceed the GTX1080ti, Nvidia will be banging on the improved power efficiency with "slightly" lower pricing and "slightly" better performance than the 1070/1080, so that people that held off buying the Pascal card would not be able to stand to wait any longer and buy the new cards; whereas people that want to true performance upgrade would have to get a Titan, or wait a year for the eventual release of the a new "xx80ti"). (Based on the pattern of the gen 290/290x vs the GTX780/GTX970/GTX980).

2. If they decide not to wait for AMD and launch their new gen cards first, then they would just release a new "xx80" that's "a bit" faster than the previous gen 80ti (1080ti), and launch it at the same or higher launch price than the 1080ti, with the potential targeted buyers being both the people with a upgrade that's been long overdue, as well as 1080ti owner that got an upgrade itch alike). When AMD's eventually launch their new gen card, then Nvidia will adjust and lower the pricing of the "xx80" card depending on the pricing of AMD's offerings. (Based on the pattern of the gen GTX1080 vs the VEGA). Nvidia would then announce and release a new Titan to tease 1080ti owners and the new xx80 owners, to try to get them to open up their wallet (again) to drop a grand on the Titan; and those that could resist, they can have fun waiting for another 9-10 months for the eventual release of the new "xx80ti" (Based on the pattern of the gen GTX1080 vs the VEGA).

bru

bru

Soldato
Well they have market dominance now, but they will keep it only when they keep innovating and moving forward, this is why all these companies launch new revamped products each time, even if it is only a refresh of the same tech as before, the market demands it, just look at Apple, Samsung, Dell, etc they have to keep bringing new products else people wont spend their money. The Fastest cards, well yes but eventually AMD will get their act together and catch up, just like they have done with the CPU's. And as far as Surplus stock goes, well their have been stories of AIB's returning 300,000 GPU's, but that was about a month ago, so how long does 300,000 GPU's last. I would love to know just how many cards just OCUK has sold in the last month, because world wide, I bet 300k wouldn't last very long at all.

Anyway bottom line, is the new cards are coming, when we don't know, but they are coming whether we like it or not.

Soldato
Well they have market dominance now, but they will keep it only when they keep innovating and moving forward, this is why all these companies launch new revamped products each time, even if it is only a refresh of the same tech as before, the market demands it, just look at Apple, Samsung, Dell, etc they have to keep bringing new products else people wont spend their money.
They only need to innovate and move forward if they need to because of competition. They have absolutely no need to if they are the unchallenged market leader. Samsung, Apple and dell(?) all have constant competition. That's why they keep needing to bring out better and faster. While Nvidia have the fastest cards and the midrange mindshare they need to do absolutely nothing except R&D for the future should AMD make a move.

Soldato
They only need to innovate and move forward if they need to because of competition. They have absolutely no need to if they are the unchallenged market leader. Samsung, Apple and dell(?) all have constant competition. That's why they keep needing to bring out better and faster. While Nvidia have the fastest cards and the midrange mindshare they need to do absolutely nothing except R&D for the future should AMD make a move.

Intel found out the hard way that this is not a good strategy. Nvidia need to keep pushing as AMD will probably get it right at some point. With more money coming in this could be in the next 2-3 years.

Soldato
Intel found out the hard way that this is not a good strategy. Nvidia need to keep pushing as AMD will probably get it right at some point. With more money coming in this could be in the next 2-3 years.
Intel found out the hard way? What are you on about? Intel reaped the reward of being the only player in the market place and releasing "non upgrade" upgrades for years. Their profits soared and their share price doubled! in the time AMD were sleeping. How is that finding out the hard way? Sure we all hated it. But they were loving every minute of it.

Man of Honour

This^

I think the other thing intel have found out the hard way is where they dominated the CPU market for so long the culture and mindset of the company has become very fat and lazy making it difficult to react now they have got some serious competition from AMD.

bru

bru

Soldato
Also you cannot forget that the next generation of GPU was started several years ago, they don't just whip something up over night it takes many years to design and build a GPU. So to just leave it in drawer and not bring it to market would just backup the system, over a couple of generations it would just keep backing up. unless they know many years in advance that they don't need a new series, which of course is just not doable.

Back
Top Bottom