Titans (2018 (DC ) )

HeX

HeX

Soldato
I honestly don't understand why DC can't make a decent live action movie; it's like they go out of their way to cast the worst possible choices for roles and then just throw away everything that makes the characters.

What's even more bizare is that their animated DC movies are actually pretty damn good!

It's a good job we have this coming out soon instead:

:D

Caporegime
I honestly don't understand why DC can't make a decent live action movie; it's like they go out of their way to cast the worst possible choices for roles and then just throw away everything that makes the characters.

Too many beancounters with their own 2 cents that adds up to the movie being totally controlled by a committee and the director having little freedom to make the movie he wants to. Marvel movies seem to let the director do the movie he wants to do, with DC its all micromanaged bs that ends up with a movie that ultimately has had too many cooks attached to it.

Just look at suicide squad, the original trailer was really dark and had no comedic tone to it at all, Deadpool comes out and cleared house at the box office, then the next suicide squad trailer (after a ton of reshoots) is suddenly all colourful and jokey. Then they had to edit the new stuff with what remained of the old stuff to try and match the new tone they were trying to portray. There were allegedly 4 or 5 different edits of the movie in the works at the same time with different editors working on it. Ultimately it was another crap movie from the DC universe.

Last edited:
Associate

I just have no words.

Who the **** at DC keeps thinking doubling down on dark and edgy is going to pay off one day? I've said it before and I'll say it again, get two truck's full of money; send one to Paul Dini, one to Bruce Timm and get them to oversee your universe(s) in the same way Kevin Fiege does for Marvel, no more of this ****.

Associate
Kevin Smith had the right idea.
That DC should stop with the whole interconnected big budget movies. Marvel has that sorted.

It's not like DC doesn't have a history of making amazing superhero movies.
Also, leave Batman alone for a few years, don't reboot him. Let people miss him.

Instead of 200-500mil budget do smaller 50 mil one shot movies.
The greenlit 'killing joke ' is circa 50 mil budget and a character piece about the Joker origin.

Smaller budget , story driven movies is where DC should be.

Associate
In my opinion after Wonder-woman and Justice league movie its a right step in direction.

As for TV shows,i've not seen any of them but this one caught my eye as I do like the Teen-titans, they ruined the animated show with what they are putting out and this live action TV series is a joke. I got nothing against it being dark, but if they are not kids, why aren't they using Nightwing? Don't really have issue with their casting and no offense to their costume designer, i'm sure they work hard and they have fixed budget but budget cosplayers can do better job than them, it just seems they spent all their budget on Robins costume.

Some of their animated DC movies been really good and i've only just started watching Young Justice which is what the current teen titan show should be like in terms of maturity.

Soldato
Kevin Smith had the right idea.
That DC should stop with the whole interconnected big budget movies. Marvel has that sorted.

It's not like DC doesn't have a history of making amazing superhero movies.
Also, leave Batman alone for a few years, don't reboot him. Let people miss him.

Instead of 200-500mil budget do smaller 50 mil one shot movies.
The greenlit 'killing joke ' is circa 50 mil budget and a character piece about the Joker origin.

Smaller budget , story driven movies is where DC should be.

And fit the tone and story to the actual characters. The success of the Dark Knight trilogy seems to have acted like a bit of red herring for them. "Look! People obviously like dark noir-esque films!", nope, people like dark, noir-esque Batman films, because it fits the character perfectly, but that's not what you want from all of your roster. Tonally they've found a level they're comfortable with and they're now busy trying to shoe horn all of their movies into that mould.

Associate
Poor old DC. Still flogging their second rate superhero universe with half arsed movies.

It's a TV show

I honestly don't understand why DC can't make a decent live action movie

It's a TV show

Too many beancounters with their own 2 cents that adds up to the movie being totally controlled by a committee and the director having little freedom to make the movie he wants to.

It's a TV show

That DC should stop with the whole interconnected big budget movies.

It's a TV show

they're now busy trying to shoe horn all of their movies into that mould.

It's a TV show

Its not a movie :confused:

At least someone can read :D

Who the **** at DC keeps thinking doubling down on dark and edgy is going to pay off one day? I've said it before and I'll say it again, get two truck's full of money; send one to Paul Dini, one to Bruce Timm and get them to oversee your universe(s) in the same way Kevin Fiege does for Marvel, no more of this ****.

Probably someone who watches the Netflix Marvel shows or reads the actual comics ;)

If dark and edgy isn't your thing, you should head over to Legends of Tomorrow, which is stupid, knows it's stupid and plays around with it's stupidity in the funnest way.

Associate
Probably someone who watches the Netflix Marvel shows or reads the actual comics ;)

If dark and edgy isn't your thing, you should head over to Legends of Tomorrow, which is stupid, knows it's stupid and plays around with it's stupidity in the funnest way.

Oh the "real Scotsman" card. Nice.

I've read plenty of Titans thanks, never seen it get this dismal. Dark? Sure. But never this evanescence music video levels of dismal but since I've clearly missed some somewhere can you point me to the Frank Miller run this seems to be getting sourced from?

Associate

Because you think someone at DC didn't watch the Marvel Netflix shows or read the comics they publish?

I've read plenty of Titans thanks

:D sorry dude, it was too hard to resist

never seen it get this dismal. Dark? Sure. But never this evanescence music video levels of dismal but since I've clearly missed some somewhere can you point me to the Frank Miller run this seems to be getting sourced from?

So you are aware of properly dark stuff from DC but are surprised that DC is trying a dark Titans?

Miller is a fine example - All Star Batman especially. Or how about the Injustice series? Or Identity Crisis, a story involving rape and murder.

For other Batman, you could go for Cult, Thrillkiller, pretty much anything from Legends of the Dark Knight (Venom, Prey, Faces, Masks to name a few), Long Hallowe'en, War Games, No Man's Land...it's long list.

For Robin - Damian's introduction, Robin 25-26 (Sophomore Lethal), Teen Titans 17-19 (Titans of Tomorrow - future Tim goes dark a lot), Death in the Family

If you want some actual, current continuity...

Over in Detective Comics 966, future Batman appears, and turns out to be Tim Drake. In the future, Bruce dies, Dick quits, then Tim watched the Bat family collapse/die/quit around him. He was driven to pick up the bat-cowl, uses the gun that killed Thomas and Martha Wayne and dispenses terminal justice with it. He's back to kill Batwoman, who is going to start this future when she kills Clayface. Incidentally, in this timeline Dick may well become the head of an organisation that captures and imprisons all supers (Nightwing: The New Order).

Batman 46 tells the tale of Booster Gold's wedding present to Bruce - he saves his mum and dad, to show Bruce how important Batman is to the world. This creates a world where Bruce never became Batman, but Dick did - except Dick fails to stop the Joker releasing a virus that infects people (including supers) with a toxin that sends them insane. This Batman hasn't found a cure, so kills anyone infected, including pre-emptively killing any supers in case they get infected. Bruce remembers images of the old timeline, but is happy with his parents so won't listen to Booster. Booster gets Catwoman to show Bruce how important their relationship is, except this Catwoman is insane - she kills Alfred, then mauls Thomas Wayne to death - Batman (Dick) turns up to put her down and Martha, Catwoman and Dick all die in the process.

If dark and edgy isn't your thing, that's fine, whatever floats your boat (btw, I'm serious about Legends, which is hands down my favourite DC show). But DC have plenty of evidence to say dark and edgy works just fine. The joy of their TV content is that they don't tie everything together, so you can move from one end of the spectrum of kids cartoons like Titans Go, via the arrowverse or Gotham, and end up at dark stuff like Titans, Constantine, or the upcoming Y the Last man, Doom Patrol and Swamp Thing.

Back
Top Bottom