CPU vs Monoblock - Looks Alone

Associate
Hey everyone, trying decide between the two. See two I have. I am looking for opinions based on looks, but I know I will get asked or get comments on other stuff.

7820x (delided) on asus strix x x299 board. This is a temporary set up until my case comes in, it will be 16mm glass tubing. 4.9 at 1.31v. During Prime95 stress testing has the monoblock average cores at 82.5c and cpu block at 75.3c. VRMs were 40s for monoblock and 70s for cpu block. Note that the heat sink on the cpu block tests did not have a fan on it, it will have the top rad fan sucking air across it in final build. Computer will be used for gaming and light video editing, so the above temps really dont mean much as the prime 95 stress is a lot higher than my usage. But, i am not done overclocking. I just slapped that on and its stable as I need to know my final block to spend those hours tweaking.

Lastly, the cpu block holes do line up with the gpu block connections vs the monoblocks being slighly to the left. And the gpu covers are the same metal as the cpu chrome block. I will have a decent amount of lighting in the build, so the lack of the monoblock rgb wont be a huge sacrifice.

Again, looking for aesthetics
sK7jTJ.jpg
5ZgEUA.jpg

Thanks, James

Associate
im a monoblock person. shame the motherboards that get monoblocks are always like 100 quid atleast more expensive, especially in ITX.

even if i was going for a cpu block i wouldnt go with that one :( i would want to see the liquid flow. saying that im ordering a full acetal block for my maintenance because plexi has a tendency to micro crack and mine has lol.

Soldato
Purely for aesthetics, I don't see the point in an acrylic monoblock if you're using clear coolant, so go with the Nickel Supremacy.

On a non-aesthetics note, apparently these EK Asus monoblocks don't do as good a job as you'd think in cooling the VRMs. 8 pack saw a couple degrees higher on the Rampage VI monoblock on both the Extreme and Apex over just a CPU block and board's stock heatsink. YMMV of course.

OcUK Staff
WIth 1.31v your and prime95 your temps are way too low especially with monoblocks which perform like junk........ Oh yeah your running triple channel as pics show so saving around 10c under prime....

Associate
OP
im a monoblock person. shame the motherboards that get monoblocks are always like 100 quid atleast more expensive, especially in ITX.

even if i was going for a cpu block i wouldnt go with that one :( i would want to see the liquid flow. saying that im ordering a full acetal block for my maintenance because plexi has a tendency to micro crack and mine has lol.

Ha, yea. Bought my MB based on if they had a mono for it, if I drop it, will be a little peeved.

I will have glass 16mm tubing and the spectre case, so will see a lot of the fluid there. So, not a huge hit. I like how they both look a lot, hence why I am torn.

Purely for aesthetics, I don't see the point in an acrylic monoblock if you're using clear coolant, so go with the Nickel Supremacy.

On a non-aesthetics note, apparently these EK Asus monoblocks don't do as good a job as you'd think in cooling the VRMs. 8 pack saw a couple degrees higher on the Rampage VI monoblock on both the Extreme and Apex over just a CPU block and board's stock heatsink. YMMV of course.

Will have colored fluid, this is a temp build until my case arrives. Will have vue for first month, then will go opaque.

Interesting, but the rampage is a monster. On my strix e its about 30c cooler.

WIth 1.31v your and prime95 your temps are way too low especially with monoblocks which perform like junk........ Oh yeah your running triple channel as pics show so saving around 10c under prime....

Its prime 26.6, so doesnt run as hot as 29. Also, does sticks matter? I have quad, just pulled two because taking the mono off and on was scrapping the ram and it was annoying.

Associate
OP
Yeah sure that's 10 degrees straight up!! Also you running triple on a quad channel CPU. You cant test one with four and the other with three!!
and thanks!!! Learning. Adding the quad channel definitely bumped the temp a few degrees. Hmm, temps alone may make me go cpu block only and find a way to cool the VRMS.

Back
Top Bottom