*** The official 2018 MacBook Pro thread (it has six cores and everything!) ***

Caporegime
I'm really struggling with a decision to buy a new 15" MBP or buy a 15" Surface Book 2. The Surface Book 2 looks better, has far better functionality and better spec imo but I do really want an OSX system to continue my app development. But Apple are really just mugging people off with **** poor updates to their laptops/desktops lately that even as an Apple fanboy, it's hard to stomach the Apple tax when the alternatives are so much better

I totally get that but in the past i have kept my Mac machine runnning for far longer, like twice as long than any windows based PC so cost wise it can be twice as much and still works out actually around the same.

That’s why I’m stick with Apple and going to get a 15” base model.

Associate
I run VMs on mine. I only use my desktop for gaming as I really can’t stand Windows 10 when I have OSX available.
It’s now MacOS, since Lion... 10.6.8 was the last of traditional (Jobs era) Macintosh.

Who uses SD cards?!
More or less the whole “Pro" photography industry for starters.

I totally get that but in the past i have kept my Mac machine runnning for far longer, like twice as long than any windows based PC so cost wise it can be twice as much and still works out actually around the same.

Truth in what you say about running longer than Windows, although time to use Mac’s is now limited by their (current, hopefully to change) management rather than product design or technological specifications, unfortunately.
Getting rid of magsafe is a travesty and unjust shaming of both Ive and Jobs. Think different again please.

Sack off Intel and go all in AMD G7 (32c/64t TR/EYPC) (Pcie x16 4.0) 4x M.2/nvme.

Power Mac G8

Stick Ryzen in the MacBook Pro, bring back MagSafe, RAM, battery and m.2 standards.

Power Book G5

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Best investigation and theory on the problem I have seen, it’s not the CPU throttling it’s the VRMs. Gives a good work around that boasts performance by 20%

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-explanation-of-apples-engineering-f.2128936/

Apple have never needed to limit the VRMs as previous CPUs were unable to draw enough power to overload them, what is interesting is his theory that the only way to get the full performance out on the i9 is to have better VRM cooling which aren’t currently cooled by any method, if he is correct Apple might need to do a hardware change to resolve the issue properly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Best investigation and theory on the problem I have seen, it’s not the CPU throttling it’s the VRMs. Gives a good work around that boasts performance by 20%

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-explanation-of-apples-engineering-f.2128936/

Apple have never needed to limit the VRMs as previous CPUs were unable to draw enough power to overload them, what is interesting is his theory that the only way to get the full performance out on the i9 is to have better VRM cooling which aren’t currently cooled by any method, if he is correct Apple might need to do a hardware change to resolve the issue properly.

Good read.

Soldato

For me its the reverse.
My hex core desktop windows was build when windows 8 was released (for reference windows 10 is 3 years old) and still going strong.

If you know what you are doing and buy a good spec machine it will last as long as apple products easily.

Gone are the days where apple had the most reliably flashy well built computer because now everyone has equal if not better machines around.

Just look at the razer, xps and MS books for testement of how high quality windows machines machines are.

You cant go wrong with either

Soldato
OP

Fantastic read - concerning apple didnt catch the VRM issue.

Soldato
I'm really struggling with a decision to buy a new 15" MBP or buy a 15" Surface Book 2. The Surface Book 2 looks better, has far better functionality and better spec imo but I do really want an OSX system to continue my app development. But Apple are really just mugging people off with **** poor updates to their laptops/desktops lately that even as an Apple fanboy, it's hard to stomach the Apple tax when the alternatives are so much better

I'm sat here on a Suface Book 2. It is in no way a better spec than even my 2017 rMBP, never mind the i9 that I'm still waiting delivery on. Converting one of my travel videos took > 20 minutes on the SB2. 2017 MBP did it in 12.

Battery life is ace, agreed.

Soldato
I had an email from UPS yesterday they would deliver today. Woke up this morning and tracking had been updated to deliver on Wed!

08:18 door bell rings and there is a UPS man with my MBP!

IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg

No complaints about UPS from me! :D

Soldato
Mine's been reduced from Friday to Wednesday... but for some reason it's going via the USA

My delivery did not take the usual route either and it spent a few days last week just sitting in Shanghai, Inchoeon and Hong Kong before going to Germany and then East Midlands. It only arrived at my local depot 5:40 this morning.

Man of Honour
I'm sat here on a Suface Book 2. It is in no way a better spec than even my 2017 rMBP, never mind the i9 that I'm still waiting delivery on. Converting one of my travel videos took > 20 minutes on the SB2. 2017 MBP did it in 12.

Battery life is ace, agreed.

I’m not really after max performance. This will purely be a dev laptop for my apps and my open source test framework, and occasionally be used to demo to potential customers. So either laptop has suitable processors, my only must is 16GB of RAM and 256GB of storage.

I’m leaning more towards the MBP just to have OSX, but I do really like the Surface Book 2 for what it offers as an all round package

Permabanned
This. They simply aren’t in the same league in terms of quality.

Yeah... I really wanted a viable alternative & I've seen plenty of the XPS through work... the Surface Pro too... less so the Razer or the SB.

I had a 2013/14 15 MBP for work and used it 5 days a week for 3 years, it was moved around a lot to meetings and working from home... by the time I handed it back, all I had to do was give it a clean and it looked and felt practically new... even the hinge was still strong and stable.

In three years of use I hadn't felt the need to re-install the OS either, which is a rarity for me... even work Windows machines usually get a wipe every 6 months or so.

Even after 3 years, the battery life was still good!

The XPS... eurgh... weak hinge, bad balance so if you ever want to use it on your lap it has a bad habit of trying to fall backwards onto the floor and the palm rejection of the trackpad is one of the worst I've ever used... then there is that vile soft touch finish on the palm rests - disgusting feeling... like nails on a chalkboard to me.

The Razer... finally something that felt like a Windows MBP in finish and build quality... nope... despite only seeing half the use of my old work MBP and spending most of its life sat on a desk... the hinge is already wobbly, the keyboard is wearing unevenly so it's soft in some places and firm in others leading to an unpleasant typing experience and despite being in a clean office environment, I can tell the cooling solution is already getting dusty, or the thermal paste is hard as the fans are spinning up much more than they should.

Then there's Windows 10 and it's just getting tiring having to deal with all the networking issues that keep randomly appearing with no reason.

The Surface range are now my top choice of Windows laptop... especially on the "Pro" range (still lol they call a tablet pro, but nvm)... I am really surprised how well those flimsy-feeling keyboard covers hold up over time... they've done a really good job with that. The Book is even better...

For a work machine... there are only 2 laptops worth anyones money at the moment... the MBP or SB2. The Razer used to be in my list... til I spent a year using one personally.

Soldato
Gotta agree, I have an XPS 15 for work (well... Precision 5510 which is the same thing) and it is a step below the MBP/SB2. It's ok.... but that's about all I can say. The mousepad is probably the weakest thing about it and where the MBP blows it out of the water.

Soldato
Quick Update: I've got my 2 main VM's running and apart from the fans spinning up (as expected) everything seems to be working smoothly

Screen%20Shot%202018-07-23%20at%2012.05.31.png

Back
Top Bottom