Time to upgrade yet?

Associate
Hey guys

First time I've been on the forum since my last build which you guys specc'd and totally delivered on in terms of performance, so thank you for that!

I'm wondering whether or not it's time to upgrade my rig to modern times, I currently have

Intel Core i7 4790K
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
8 GB DDR3 @800MHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 5GB

All other peripherals and components would stay on my PC, those are the only parts I'd be looking to upgrade, I game casually, switching between console and PC, couple of AAA titles and then the basics like Fortnite and whatnot. Thoughts? I'm not looking to build a rig capable of powering a small starship, just something more current.

Soldato
whats your monitor ? most likely be GPU+ Monitor upgrade if running 1080 60hz for 144hz or 1440p .

extra 8GB or ram and your good to go really

console XBox by any chance ? freesync monitor would be a nice pairing

Associate
OP
My monitor is an MSI Optics G27C2 1080p 144MHz, then just a Samsung 23inch as my second.

Nah I'm on PS4. One thing I do want to do is use the wireless display feature on my tv. I believe that Nvidia doesn't allow this? Or at least on the 970?

Associate
OP
Is there a particular one you can recommend, or do they all do the same pretty much? And I guess I'm better off buying used DDR3 cause it's aged tech, right?

Soldato
Is there a particular one you can recommend, or do they all do the same pretty much? And I guess I'm better off buying used DDR3 cause it's aged tech, right?

used if you can ,

depends if you have brand loyalty, price, warranty etc

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £359.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

any more , £400+ and you hit gtx 1070ti pricing range .

gtx970 not a lacking card, but 1070 will push current AAA titles above 60fps 1080 at High easily and take advantage of your 144hz screen more

Associate
OP
Do you know if this will support wireless display usage? As I said my 970 doesn’t seem to, is this just a 970 thing or Nvidia wide, I couldn’t seem to find a definitive answer?

Back
Top Bottom