LG OLED55B7V price hikes everywhere??

Soldato
I got a 55" B7 today from Richer Sounds. I've tried the 4k HLG demo on BBC and found some 4k HDR footage on Youtube and my word does it all look stunning. It blows my previous Samsung JS9000 out of the water. I'd like to get a UHD blu-ray player at some point but at the moment I think 4k blu-rays are unreasonably expensive. I normally only watch films once or twice, so £24.99 seems pretty steep. That's over half the price of a PS4 game and those have more replay and sell-on value. For now 4k streaming through Netflix and Amazon Prime will do.

Speaking of prime, and as others have said, their 4k content is very randomly organised and difficult to find. I was trying to find a 4k version of the Grand Tour to play but it just kept on coming up with the regular 1080p version.

Found the same in terms of 4k blurays. I have an X1X anyway so the player front is sorted unless I feel an upgrade to a proper one but still stings paying that for some films. I went down the Apple TV 4k route for that for 4k films. A lot of the new films (seems to be most things except disney films) are in 4k dolby vision and dolby atmos is soon to come in the new tvOS release in september. Helps that the maximum a new film is, is about £14, with many older being down to £4-8 and full whack for a 4k bluray for disney releases lol.

Prime is just a bit of a mess for content discovery. You got to keep scrolling down for ultra hd content, or maybe searching ultrahd or ultra hd may work.

Soldato
If you go into the TV menu at the top and then scroll down, you'll find a sub menu containing the 4k content. :)

Thanks, I must have missed it, I'll check that out :)

Found the same in terms of 4k blurays. I have an X1X anyway so the player front is sorted unless I feel an upgrade to a proper one but still stings paying that for some films. I went down the Apple TV 4k route for that for 4k films. A lot of the new films (seems to be most things except disney films) are in 4k dolby vision and dolby atmos is soon to come in the new tvOS release in september. Helps that the maximum a new film is, is about £14, with many older being down to £4-8 and full whack for a 4k bluray for disney releases lol.

Prime is just a bit of a mess for content discovery. You got to keep scrolling down for ultra hd content, or maybe searching ultrahd or ultra hd may work.

Forgive me for my ignorance but how does the Apple TV 4k differ to something like streaming via Netflix? Are the films downloaded and stored rather than streamed?

Soldato

Forgive me for my ignorance but how does the Apple TV 4k differ to something like streaming via Netflix? Are the films downloaded and stored rather than streamed?

It is streamed. But Netflix and amazon have limited collections in their included libraries. iTunes movie store has a pretty much every cinema released film for when it comes out on Blu-ray and the Disney ones aside, they’re mostly in 4K Dolby vision and quite a bit cheaper than 4K Blu-ray. I only really buy 4K Blu-ray for ones that are unavailable in the format on Apple TV 4K and films I really want. I find Netflix and amazon only have 4K hdr for their original content. Mostly tv shows and some movies.

Soldato
65 inch being delivered tomorrow, took holiday of at work, hype mode.
Sitting about 2m away, some would say its too close, but already tested the distance with my dads 65, its perfect, cinema size!

Soldato
Quite impressed with how Now TV looks on this thing too, I was expecting it to not be particularly pleasant but it looks decent enough. Surprisingly the app itself is much better than on the actual Now TV devices too.

Soldato

Try the Rakuten app as well for 4k films. I've got a few on that site on the cheap. You can rent or buy. Blade runner 2049 looks amazing in dolby vision

Soldato
Try the Rakuten app as well for 4k films. I've got a few on that site on the cheap. You can rent or buy. Blade runner 2049 looks amazing in dolby vision

Yeah I decided to give Rakuten a try the other day and really impressed. Bought Blade Runner 2049 for £5.99 and thought it looked amazing, I'll admit I've not actually tried a proper UHD blu-ray and I understand they are even better, but this just looked fantastic anyway! I don't really want to pay UHD blu-ray prices plus I can't be bothered with physical media taking up space these days.

Quite impressed with how Now TV looks on this thing too, I was expecting it to not be particularly pleasant but it looks decent enough. Surprisingly the app itself is much better than on the actual Now TV devices too.

Yeah I was also surprised with NowTV, looks much better than I was expecting as well, and the app is very slick.

Soldato
Yeah I decided to give Rakuten a try the other day and really impressed. Bought Blade Runner 2049 for £5.99 and thought it looked amazing, I'll admit I've not actually tried a proper UHD blu-ray and I understand they are even better, but this just looked fantastic anyway! I don't really want to pay UHD blu-ray prices plus I can't be bothered with physical media taking up space these days.

If you are prepared to wait for the deals the cost isn't to bad. 2 for £30 are around frequently. And amazon prime day had some offers where a double discount was on. I paid under £17 for 2 films ( did that twice ).

Soldato
I did consider rakuten but my one apprehension with rakuten was that it is a relatively immature service. Perhaps I buy stuff on it now and it lasts me this generation, but what about the next, etc? Kind of why I went down the ATV4K route, perhaps it cost me the cost of the box but I know I will likely always have that content and it's very likely it will be upgraded to whatever the latest standard is (eg. people who bought Harry Potter in standard def absolute years ago now have 4k dolby vision copies for free).

Soldato

Thanks for the suggestion, I checked out the Rakuten app last night and there are some 4k films on there at surprisingly good prices. The only oddity is that some of the films are no cheaper to rent than buy.

I did consider rakuten but my one apprehension with rakuten was that it is a relatively immature service. Perhaps I buy stuff on it now and it lasts me this generation, but what about the next, etc? Kind of why I went down the ATV4K route, perhaps it cost me the cost of the box but I know I will likely always have that content and it's very likely it will be upgraded to whatever the latest standard is (eg. people who bought Harry Potter in standard def absolute years ago now have 4k dolby vision copies for free).

How expensive are the 4k films on itunes? In my opinion the ATV4k is too expensive at £180-200, that's roughly the same price as an Xbox One S or something like the Sony UBP-X700 4k Blu-ray player, but if the films are cheap on itunes then I can see it making sense.

Soldato
How expensive are the 4k films on itunes?

I will give you a few examples :)

Justice League is currently £7.99 4K DV
Tomb Raider 2018 is £10 4K DV
Pacific Rim Uprising £10 4K DV
Mission impossible box 4K DV £25 but actually showing now as £15

There are loads of good deals to be had on itunes i just picked Jack Reacher 1&2 4K for like £2 each which came as part of a five movie pack for £10.

Dolby Atmos is coming soon too:)

Soldato
I will give you a few examples :)

Justice League is currently £7.99 4K DV
Tomb Raider 2018 is £10 4K DV
Pacific Rim Uprising £10 4K DV
Mission impossible box 4K DV £25 but actually showing now as £15

There are loads of good deals to be had on itunes i just picked Jack Reacher 1&2 4K for like £2 each which came as part of a five movie pack for £10.

Dolby Atmos is coming soon too:)

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1505495519 List of everything they have 4k / HDR / DV, and like you said atmos is coming soon too! Most can be had for £5-8, newer ones £10 with latest releases out of the cinema £10-14, generally.

Soldato
Ah that's not so bad then, at least itunes makes up for the cost of the ATV4k with cheaper film prices. I guess a 4k player and second-hand films is, as 5punk3monk3y suggests, another option.

Associate
Jump on youtube and search 4k hdr or uhd guys.

some of the content on there is stunning, been using it to show off the tv until my 4k player turns up:)

Soldato

Yeah that was my concern with Rakuten, but I figure if I'm just buying stuff on offer its not such a massive risk. 4k player and disks on offer would probably be a good plan but I'm hoping the streaming services will keep improving and I won't need to go down the physical route. Apple definitely seems to be the best option for streaming, but ideally I'd rather avoid them, kinda hoping Rakuten start having as good deals as they develop. I would have quite liked to have used Google but they don't seem to be making any effort with their service, fairly expensive and only works on Andorid TV or Chromecast Ultra.

Associate
Yeah that was my concern with Rakuten, but I figure if I'm just buying stuff on offer its not such a massive risk. 4k player and disks on offer would probably be a good plan but I'm hoping the streaming services will keep improving and I won't need to go down the physical route. Apple definitely seems to be the best option for streaming, but ideally I'd rather avoid them, kinda hoping Rakuten start having as good deals as they develop. I would have quite liked to have used Google but they don't seem to be making any effort with their service, fairly expensive and only works on Andorid TV or Chromecast Ultra.

Why do you want to avoid Apple?

Soldato
Why do you want to avoid Apple?

I just don't have any other Apple devices so don't really want to go down that route. I'm not an Apple hater or anything like that, just find their stuff over priced, although with the obvious exception of their films it seems! There would also be the initial outlay for Apple TV, though I realise it would pay for itself if I bought a lot of films. I am really impressed that they automatically upgrade purchases to UHD though as they become available, that's so good!

Associate
I just don't have any other Apple devices so don't really want to go down that route. I'm not an Apple hater or anything like that, just find their stuff over priced, although with the obvious exception of their films it seems! There would also be the initial outlay for Apple TV, though I realise it would pay for itself if I bought a lot of films. I am really impressed that they automatically upgrade purchases to UHD though as they become available, that's so good!

I know plenty of people who the ATV is their only Apple product and couldn’t be happier.

It’s a game changing product in regards to the upgrades. I’ve had over 160 films upgrade to 4K-no way would I have the same amount of films in disc format.

Back
Top Bottom