My never ending dilemma feels like a conspiracy.

Soldato
just move out ASAP at your own convenience. they have no leg to stand on with regard your lease, the flat is unfit for purpose.

Soldato
looking at the ops pic that cover says driveway slap bang in the middle of it. i had a quick google and can't find a company caleld 'driveway' who make these covers so would it be too obvious to suggest that that cover is meant for use on driveways and not in someones damn room?!
op, as said above contact your local mp immediately.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Not read the whole thread but is it worth speaking to your MP to get him\her on your side? They may know the right person to speak to at the Environmental Health and sometimes can just cut through bureaucratic bull.

Soldato
With all the people saying just leave, I can understand it but surely its just passing the "poo show" to the next poor person or family who moves in there. It needs fixing for his sake and who ever comes next.

Soldato
I would move out asap. Stop paying the landlord/agency any money. Cancel direct debits and standing orders.

As a secondary priority, then try to get your deposit back if you paid one. Loads of info online about this. Essentially if you paid a deposit then it will either be protected properly or it won't have been. If the later, getting your money back should be easy and the landlord would be fined. If it is protected, then you should be able to enter into an official dispute resolution where you will be able to present your information and get as much back as possible. A lot of the time the landlords dont have the time or effort to do this so when they hear you will go all the way, just end up giving most of the deposit back anyway.

Soldato
With all the people saying just leave, I can understand it but surely its just passing the "poo show" to the next poor person or family who moves in there. It needs fixing for his sake and who ever comes next.

It is, but worth doing all that when you have moved out into a different property. It's also worth doing all of this via correct legal channels, if necessary using CAB. i.e. If you send a letter to new tenants speaking of the issue, I suspect this could open you up to legal action from the landlord for damaging future business etc. Not saying it is right. You have to look after number 1 initially here. I suspect you could warn the new tenants verbally so you could deny the conversation ever happened, and ask them to ensure they mention that they discovered the issue themselves.

Man of Honour
I get that money is an issue, but I really would just leave. The fact its having a negative effect on your health is reason enough, but all the stress of this as well will just make it worse

Permabanned
I mean, even if i can get the funds to take them to court, what leg do i have to stand on? There would be no evidence me and the Mrs got ill from this. And thats the same with my neighbour and her son. They can argue they were un-aware of the man holes, and got the thumbs up from building control that they are "satisfactory" once the mastic seal was put on. (again even though every where online states they have to be mechanically sealed).

Though, once they found our two manholes, they had to find the building plans and send them to the landlord and building regulators. Therefore surely they must have known about my neighbours manhole and should have investigated to see if it were sealed?

I'm not sure about taking them to court.

I would move out, not pay last months rent to fill your deposit pot for next place and you won't be out of pocket to them (or however long your deposit would pay for) and find another place.

The onus would be on them to chase you, just make sure you have as comprehensive documentation as possible to prove their breach of contract and communicate to them that due to breach of contract and severe issues you will be withholding rent in order to acquire the funds to move to a viable living space.

To me, that place is uninhabitable, so you have every right to get yourself out of there by whatever means necessary.

Sod taking them to court, not worth it... just get out.

Speak to a lawyer too - if you have contents insurance, it will often have legal cover for some advice.

Soldato
Just a bad smell would be enough for me. Withhold rent, open a dispute over deposit and communicate with the landlord/agency that is that unless it's fixed properly. I'd be getting on to the housing department and reporting the issues and landlord to the local MP/council and whoever will listen

Soldato
From CAB:

Procedure for using rent to pay for repairs
There are a number of steps that you must follow if you want to use your rent to pay for repairs. This procedure is only likely to be of use to you for more minor repairs which you can afford to pay for if required.

The steps are:

• Step 1 – report the repairs to your landlord. It's best to do this in writing and give your landlord a reasonable time to do the work. Keep a copy of your letter or email.
  • Step 2 – if nothing happens, write to your landlord again telling them that you will do the repairs yourself unless they arrange for the work to be done. Keep a copy of your letter or email.
  • Step 3 – allow a further reasonable period of time for your landlord to do the work. If nothing happens after this time, get three quotes for the cost of the work from properly qualified contractors.
  • Step 4 – write to your landlord again enclosing copies of the quotes and giving them a final chance to do the work, for example, within two weeks. The letter should warn that, otherwise, you'll do the work yourself and deduct the cost from the rent. Keep a copy of your letter.
  • Step 5 – if there's no response, arrange for the contractor who gave the lowest quote to do the work.
  • Step 6 – pay for the work and send a copy of the receipt to your landlord and ask for the money to be paid back to you. Keep a copy of your letter.
  • Step 7 – if the landlord doesn't pay back the money, you can deduct the cost from future rent, but not other charges such as service charges. Send your landlord a breakdown of the amounts to be deducted, when they will start and when they will end. Keep a copy of your letter.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/h...tenant/withholding-rent-because-of-disrepair/

Back
Top Bottom