FTTH Install

Soldato
I currently have a FTTH fibre connection providing 38mbit/s download 8 mbit/s upload without the need for a landline which costs £ 26.24 a month.

Thinking of switching to another provider who will give me 250mbit/s download and 50mbit/s upload with a landline costing £ 228.71 upfront for the router and a site visit as my phone line is not currently in use.

After the initial £ 228.71 the monthly cost will be £ 39.90 a month. Is it worth it? I don't really need a faster connection.

Soldato
OP
Current ISP is homenet in Jersey, planned ISP is SureCW also in Jersey. With the SureCW connection you can get a gigabit connection if you are prepared to pay for it but the standard connection is 250mbit/s.

Caporegime
Are you sure you can actually change? I thought Jersey Telecom was a virtual monopoly on the Island? seems a lot for a Router though? Surely the termination point and actual Modem is kept and you just need a Router, which you might already have? (I'm going by my admittedly scant knowledge on FTTH services, especially on Jersey!)

Soldato
Are you sure you can actually change? I thought Jersey Telecom was a virtual monopoly on the Island? seems a lot for a Router though? Surely the termination point and actual Modem is kept and you just need a Router, which you might already have? (I'm going by my admittedly scant knowledge on FTTH services, especially on Jersey!)

Sounds a lot like moving from FTTC without an active line to FTTH.

Soldato
OP
Here's my order, haven't gone through check out yet just seeing how much it would cost.

8y9idy.png

TJM

TJM

Associate
Don't pay for something you won't use. Hyperoptic serves my block and many of my neighbours are on the basic 30Mbps package because even the mid-tier 150Mbps is complete overkill for streaming Netflix on to a tablet or using Instagram.

Soldato
OP
Well I use my internet connection a lot, don't have Sky anymore because I hardly ever watch TV, I'm on the Internet mainly that's so £ 47 a month less not having Sky. As I use the Internet so much it would be worth investing in a faster internet connection. Most people in Jersey are forced to have the 250mbit/s plan anyway as my 38mbit/s service isn't available to them.

To be honest I am not going to miss the initial £ 228.71 and I want to be on the same speeds as everyone else.

Soldato
In your opening post you didn't need a faster connection. Apparently now you would benefit from a faster connection.

Man up and make a decision. You're the only one who can make the choice.

Soldato
OP
Well monies not really an obstacle. I'm not loaded but don't waste a lot a of money unnecessarily. With everyone else being on faster connections I feel I am being left behind.

TJM

TJM

Associate
Your internet connection is just a tool. If you stream 4K video or download very large files occasionally, get something better than 38Mbps.

The other consideration with FTTP is improved reliability and slightly lower pings compared to FTTC but I wouldn't let that swing a decision unless you are actually having problems with your current connection.

Soldato
OP
The other consideration with FTTP is improved reliability and slightly lower pings compared to FTTC but I wouldn't let that swing a decision unless you are actually having problems with your current connection.

My connection is FTTH its just a "slow" one. See here...

augleu.png

Also my connection uses a different type of router then the Sure service and I don't own the router anyway. I get 15ms ping times to google.co.uk for example.

Soldato
So to summarise this thread.

You have the option to gain more bandwidth but don't want to pay for something you wont use.

At current your current connection provides more than enough bandwidth for your current use case and doesn't slow you up in any noticeable way.

You now are considering upgrading to something you won't make the most of for a lot more money.

Silly thread is silly.

Yes you can upgrade, we don't know your personal finances, if you want to throw more money away every month go and do so :p

Soldato
OP
Have you checked if you can get a faster connection with HomeNet? Might save spending the initial outlay.

Nah homenet only have the one speed unfortunately, once the initial outlay is out of the way its actually the same per month as my current connection i.e. £ 26.24 per month including GST. The extra £ 13.66 is for the landline which is nice to have on occasion but don't really need.

Permabanned
Your current connection is enough, you're not missing out on anything. Leave it until you're sitting there one day going, why won't this work, or I'm waiting too long. Then upgrade.

Soldato
OP
I am old enough to remember being one of the first people in Jersey to get 512kbit/s down 256kbit/s up ADSL connections back on the 04/10/2000. Back then it cost £ 200 up front and £ 40 a month. I think we get excellent value for money these days. I started out with a 28.8k modem back in February 1996 probably before some of you were born!

Soldato
OP
Well I went ahead and ordered a second FttH service to my home. The current one runs through the cable tv ducting whearas the new one will run through the telecoms copper phone line ducting.

I have been given a date for an engineer visit to survey my property and install the fibre that day if possible and have arranged to cancel my current FttH service on that day also.

Now plenty can go wrong, i.e. they don't turn up, can't finish the install that day, service not as good as expected etc etc

If worst comes to the worst and my current service is switched off before the new one is up and running I'll have to use data on my PAYG iPhone which costs £2 for 100MB which is plenty to keep in touch with emails etc as long as I don't use Facebook and YouTube etc.

Back
Top Bottom