Useful Freeware Utilities

Associate
Because the list is messed up as a result? It's recommending an older revision of the software over the newer revision of the same software, it's like recommending ATi graphics cards over AMD graphics cards. Or Skydrive over Onedrive.

I was just trying to point out the error that's all.

Perhaps send them an email pointing out their error? Someone may have overlooked it.

Associate
Completely block Windows Updates:

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-u...p-windows-10-updates-properly-completely.html

Allows you to run WU when you want to rather than when they want to.

"How it works: The script first checks if the OS is older than Windows 10 and if so
it notifies you, then exits. Windows 10 only!
This script disables and locks all "\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\" tasks,
disables all "\Microsoft\Windows\LanguageComponentsInstaller\" tasks,
creates a smart Windows Defender Update task "WDU" that updates Windows
Defender every 6 hours if it's running and enabled, and doesn't update it if it's
not running and disabled, saving resources; auto-elevates, uninstalls and removes
the Windows 10 Update Assistant, locks every file in the %programfiles%\rempl* folder,
resets and locks (removes permissions from) and disables these Update Hijackers
(they're renamed if they can't be locked for whatever reason):
EOSNotify.exe
osrss.dll
UsoClient.exe
WaaSMedic.exe
WaasMedicSvc.dll
WaaSMedicPS.dll
WaaSAssessment.dll
MusNotification.exe
MusNotificationUx.exe
SIHClient.exe
makes sure the task "wub_task" is installed that runs wub at boot (to stop updates from turning
updates back on), runs wub.exe and enables and starts the windows update service (wuauserv) if
disabled, then runs the correct version of the Windows Update MiniTool in "auto search for updates"
mode for your OS version's architecture (x86 or x64), then disables and stops wuauserv giving you
full control. No more forced automatic updates or surprise reboots. This was written for Windows 10
Pro and Home, but works with all versions of Windows 10."

Soldato
Completely block Windows Updates:

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-u...p-windows-10-updates-properly-completely.html

Allows you to run WU when you want to rather than when they want to.

"How it works: The script first checks if the OS is older than Windows 10 and if so
it notifies you, then exits. Windows 10 only!
This script disables and locks all "\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\" tasks,
disables all "\Microsoft\Windows\LanguageComponentsInstaller\" tasks,
creates a smart Windows Defender Update task "WDU" that updates Windows
Defender every 6 hours if it's running and enabled, and doesn't update it if it's
not running and disabled, saving resources; auto-elevates, uninstalls and removes
the Windows 10 Update Assistant, locks every file in the %programfiles%\rempl* folder,
resets and locks (removes permissions from) and disables these Update Hijackers
(they're renamed if they can't be locked for whatever reason):
EOSNotify.exe
osrss.dll
UsoClient.exe
WaaSMedic.exe
WaasMedicSvc.dll
WaaSMedicPS.dll
WaaSAssessment.dll
MusNotification.exe
MusNotificationUx.exe
SIHClient.exe
makes sure the task "wub_task" is installed that runs wub at boot (to stop updates from turning
updates back on), runs wub.exe and enables and starts the windows update service (wuauserv) if
disabled, then runs the correct version of the Windows Update MiniTool in "auto search for updates"
mode for your OS version's architecture (x86 or x64), then disables and stops wuauserv giving you
full control. No more forced automatic updates or surprise reboots. This was written for Windows 10
Pro and Home, but works with all versions of Windows 10."

I just stop it from within group policy editor and then I can run ms updates manually once a month

2nb94c2.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I just stop it from within group policy editor and then I can run ms updates manually once a month

No GPE on Home versions which is why people create tools like the one i mentioned. After the recent disasters i'm seeing a large uptake of people using them too. For me it's working brilliantly. No surprise updates and restarts. Just full control over what and when to install. I could kiss the genius who created it. :)

Associate
Aquasnap - Like the built in Aero Snap but better. More options, Hotkeys and 'Magnet' effect to better dock windows to the edge of the screen. Free version had all the options i needed.

Soldato
Had a glance at page one and there seems to be lots of choices. What clone software do people recommend? I have to copy someones C drive on to a M.2 they have just bought and make that their C drive.

Personally, I have always used "Macrium Reflect Free" to do this, but a lot of people suggest CloneZilla is a great tool too - I believe that you boot into it via a USB stick, and can then copy the existing image via a Linux distro; I've yet to try it myself though.

Soldato
Just adding my 2p here:

http://driverpacks.net/

Having been asked to sort a 7+ year old laptop out, I found that there were a bunch of devices with no drivers - nowt on Windows Update, and oddly, nothing on the manufacturer's site either; so I tried a few links on the first page - only to find old site full of spam or tolls that need to be purchase.

So I eventually stumbled on the above site, and have painlessly (and freely) downloaded the missing drivers - hurrah!!!!

Back
Top Bottom