Best fan config for push/pull

Soldato
hello all,

I’ve got a Thermaltake 22, it can accommodate either x3 120mm or x2 1400mm fans on the front and top with a 120mm on the rear.

What would be the best setup to maximise airflow?

I was thinking x3 120mm on the front with X2 140mm on top with the 120mm on the rear?

Soldato
Highest airflow is of course having as many fans as possible.
But best cooling per noise is different thing: Airflow going through case without cooling anything means unnecessary fan noise.

Soldato
OP
Well what I want to do is figure out the best way to place my fans, up to 7 in total.

Do I have 2 or 3 fans on the front panel as intakes to feed cool air into the case, then have the rear as exhaust, but what do I do with the Fans on the top are they best served as intakes or exhausts?,

Soldato
I wouldn't put exhaust fans near the top front as there's nothing there that needs exhausting, and it will remove air straight from the intakes without it being used to cool anything.

Your original suggestion would be slightly more exhaust than intake, assuming all the same speeds. This is useful if your case tends to heat up over time, but generally it's sensible to aim for more intake than exhaust.

I doubt you really need 7 fans, so two intake and one rear exhaust may be enough. Personally I would seal off the top vents if I was trying to direct airflow, it can help keep noise in too. Experiment!

Back
Top Bottom