*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Anyone had issues running a ring video doorbell on a Unifi ap? I have 3 in the house and for reasons I can't fathom the doorbell performs poorly. I'm convinced it's a comparability issue

Associate
Anyone had issues running a ring video doorbell on a Unifi ap? I have 3 in the house and for reasons I can't fathom the doorbell performs poorly. I'm convinced it's a comparability issue
That's an interesting one, is your router on the same subnet as the doorbell? I had issues with a USG and a UniFi AP with a couple of Nest smoke alarms connecting - they were being given 192.168.2.x and the USG is on 192.168.1.1, they were connected to Wi-Fi just fine but couldn't connect to the internet.

Edit; I'm interested in getting one of these Ring doorbells so will be interesting to know when I try and set one up.

xrs

xrs

Associate
Yes! The Ring doorbell was VERY fussy about what channel the AP was set to. I think my AP was set to Channel 13 and the ring doorbell just wasn't having it. When I changed it to 6 or something, it worked absolutely fine. I think I also had to turn off band steering.

Soldato
Yes! The Ring doorbell was VERY fussy about what channel the AP was set to. I think my AP was set to Channel 13 and the ring doorbell just wasn't having it. When I changed it to 6 or something, it worked absolutely fine. I think I also had to turn off band steering.

Channel 13 should be avoided. ItsI not supported by many devices and overlaps with 11.
This!
Ok I'll try that out. Should I set the WEP encryption to Auto, someone have suggested that?
WEP Encryption? You shouldn't really be using WEP... You want to be using WPA2-PSK with AES Encryption.

Soldato
Sorry, yes its WPA2-PSK. Should I set encryption to auto as it appears the ring doorbell struggles with higher levels?

I've disabled band steering and set the channel to 6 but so far still reporting poor signal

Associate

I’ve got the gen 1 ring and it works perfectly with my UniFi AP AC LR. It reports excellent signal strength and never has any issues.

Soldato
Try updating your APs? I've had a set of TP-LINK smart plugs refuse to connect and since updating to the latest release there behaving for now.

Soldato
Has anyone migrated from a USG3 to an EdgeRouter 4. I've upgraded my FTTP recently to 300/50 as BT were upping my price so it made sense to switch to a different deal. The USG3 can handle those speeds easily provided you don't enable IPS/IDS and/or Smart Queues. As soon as you enable those, it's crippled. From what I've read, the ER4 can handle around 300-500 with Smart Queues enabled (I know it doesn't have IPS). I'll lose the ability to manage all my devices via one interface but that doesn't bother me too much.

Soldato
Has anyone migrated from a USG3 to an EdgeRouter 4. I've upgraded my FTTP recently to 300/50 as BT were upping my price so it made sense to switch to a different deal. The USG3 can handle those speeds easily provided you don't enable IPS/IDS and/or Smart Queues. As soon as you enable those, it's crippled. From what I've read, the ER4 can handle around 300-500 with Smart Queues enabled (I know it doesn't have IPS). I'll lose the ability to manage all my devices via one interface but that doesn't bother me too much.

Even the USG-Pro(4) would struggle with all the bells and whistles turned on. It;s a shame to migrate away from the single pain of glass interface but needs to be done if you want the goodies. The USG3 can push a Gb connection if you don't turn on the good stuff.

Man of Honour
If you're happy to lose the all in one interface, then get pfsense instead.

Soldato
Which would require more expensive (and larger) hardware than an ER4?

Not really. The comparison isn’t really valid.

A USG does MUCH more than an ER-4. So with similar hardware you can always run the same speeds on a USG and EdgeRouter because you’re turning features on and off that may not be important to you. Lots of people put up with the USG because it’s the thing that lights up all the bits of their Unifi display. Being under the control of the Unifi controller also slows things down.

A NUC is all you need to run pfSense. I think the cheapest pfSense Netgate device is about £100. Personally, I wouldn’t go under the SG-3100 which is £350 but that’s capable of running EVERYTHING at a 1Gbps Line speed. The equivalent USG (USG-XG-8) is £2400 although that is also a 10GbE device and the cheapest Netgate 10GbE device (SG-7100) is £850.

By all means buy an ER-4 but it’s not a Security device. It’s a router. If you want to replace the USG, it’s another UTM you want. And that typically means pfSense. Bear in mind too that you can sell your USG and get most of your money back.

Back
Top Bottom