New headphones

Associate
Im looking to get a fun sounding pair of headphones for music and some gaming i.e. counterstrike global offensive with friends. I had clouds II which got damaged by my friend's kid who threw them into the swimming pool (I took them apart dried etc. but they do distort now...). My relaxing/gaming room is in the attic so noise won't be an issue. To drive any headphones I can use my Pc onboard or Yamaha S501 headphone output.

The only comparison I have is the clouds as headphones. They sounded little lacking in midbass department to my liking, however, after a slight tweak in the lower frequencies of +3 db made them sound highly enjoyable. I can buy another pair but Im really looking for an upgrade so my budget is not high 120 pounds at most.

I was thinking about DT990's 250-ohm version (which I can get for 70 pounds used like new)
Or
Philips Fidelio X2 for 100 in very good condition yet not sure which version it is as I believe they changed a manufacturing company.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Poor headphones getting drowned...

If you can get DT990 for that price they'll certainly give good fun bass immersion.
Also replacement ear pads are easily available and very well priced.
Beyerdynamic even sells basically all parts as spare parts unlike most other manufacturers of anything.

Soldato
or Yamaha S501 headphone output.
Having checked service manual that doesn't have actual headphone output.
It's connected to speaker amplifier with series resistors.
So with fashionable low impedance headphones electric damping would be about absolute zero.

Associate
OP
Having checked service manual that doesn't have actual headphone output.
It's connected to speaker amplifier with series resistors.
So with fashionable low impedance headphones electric damping would be about absolute zero.

Im not sure what that means can you explain, please?

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom