PC won't boot properly

Associate
Hey,

My older second PC will not start up by pressing the power button but if i switch it off at the wall and wait 30 secs or so then switch it back on it will start off the power button, any idea what might cause this?

Specs:
Asus Sabertooth X58
Intel i7 950
GTX580
6Gb corsair dominator
240Gb vertex 3
Corsair AX760
1Tb Samsung F1

Soldato
That's certainly rather old.
One thing to test would be trying to do cold boot with minimum parts.

Also BIOS/RTC battery change would be cheap thing to try.
Dead/empy battery can cause some weird symptoms.

Associate
OP
That's certainly rather old.
One thing to test would be trying to do cold boot with minimum parts.

Also BIOS/RTC battery change would be cheap thing to try.
Dead/empy battery can cause some weird symptoms.

Thanks, i did think of the battery so will change that and see, just tried it again after being shut down for maybe 16 hours and it has started up fine.

Associate
OP
Bit of a random update, tried that PC last night again and didn't start off the power button so just left it as didn't need to use it, got in from work today and it was running lol, seemed to have started itself up sometime during the day, not sure how long it was on for.
Not had time to swop the battery out yet so not really done any proper diagnostics.

Associate
I had similar issue, bios battery was dead
asmile.gif

Associate
OP
Have changed the battery and it still does the same, checked all connections, no signs of a water leaks anywhere, who knows, not the end of the world as i can just put my hand behind the PC and switch the power supply off and back on and it starts up, just a strange one.

Associate
Ok,i think i had this same problem as you before, and it's the power on switch on the case, other year i had this issue, it would power itself on in the early mornings, i do have the my system on from around 6am till late about 11pm, the problem never usually shows the issue in the day, i do not recall it turning itself on and off in the day, it would turn itself on early mornings when i was sleeping, i tracked it down to the power switch on the case, i purchase another switch off from somewhere i think you can guess or you can track one down yourself, but i think it's more or less the switch on the case you are using that is the issue, what i did to test if it was the switch was swapped the reset switch and used the as the power switch to see if it was the issue, very rarely i use as reset switch anyway so i didn't miss it.
Sorry if i'm going on abit but i'm on vodka and redbull atm :)

Last edited:
Associate
The switch in a pc case is very small and enclosed, i also tried to blowing out the dust and also used switch clear on it, but that just delayed the issue and the problem come back, only option was to get a new case or just replace that switch, i just replace the switch all been working fine since.
Try and use the reset switch for a temp fix like i said above see if it is the switch that is the problem, just disconnect the faulty power switch to the motherboard and plug the reset switch onto the pins on the motherboard.
Hopefully the reset swicth isn't faulty also.

Associate
OP
Sorry been away all weekend but thanks for the replies, had an anti-vandal switch kicking about so fitted that and it's still the same so not the switch, any other ideas? PSU maybe? it's a Corsair AX760 and only a couple of years old of which maybe only used for a quarter of that

Associate
OP
Well in the end finally got sick of it and got round to swapping the AX760 for my AX860 and it seems fine now so must have been the PSU.

Back
Top Bottom