Micro ATX mobo into a Mini-ITX case!

Associate
I'm going to stick this: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-F2A55M-HD2-rev-30#ov
Into this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/fractal-design-core-500-mini-itx-cube-case-black-ca-066-fd.html

Thoughts and warnings welcome. ;)

(that case can actually take a mobo longer than 170mm length, will just have to drill my own standoffs. Probably will need to adjust the back plate too...)

I know a Kolink satellite plus is perfect for this mobo but, call me old fashioned, I still rip CD's for their precious WAVs.

Will share pics.

Associate
Micro ATX motherboard into a core design 500 ITX will not work, No room to the left of the rear of the case where the 2 PCI-SLOTs are.
Would have to cut the side of case off for the motherboard to stick out

Last edited:
Don
That case is designed for a ITX board with a dual slot GPU - nothing more (certainly not he extra 2 slots of a MATX board)

The case is 285mm wide, the board 226mm - so whilst technically "it will fit", you are going to have to:-
- remove existing standoffs and re-drill all standoffs (as all will be incorrect)
- move backplate opening to the left
- move rear fan to the left
- cut 2 more expansion slots
- relocate power cable socket

and that's without any of the internal structure needing to be changed as a result of the above.

Associate
OP
It's a bit nuts for the sake of a cd drive I know. Its fun to see whats possible with a drill and mini circular saw though!

Associate
OP
Calo GA-F2A55M-HD2 is a convertible, Can fold inwards making it an ITX form factor ;)

lol XD
I have my dremel here that agrees with you. Ok, ive not gone through with this as there's a lot of skepticism here putting me off, so i went for the Kolink case. I still think it would have fit but maybe too much of a challenge. BUT WAIT!

Im going to stick a 297 cm long GPU in there! The Kolink can 'only' fit a 280mm one, which is true for anyone sane. But i found out its possible to fit the three fan 970 I have in there by cutting a hole in the cassis behind the aluminium front panel. Theres an extra 20mm of empty space there to unlock!

Will share photos!

Associate
OP
Almost got this case ready for a oversized GPU. working in this heat is highly prohibitive! My 970 has immense pcb sag after 2+ years in the same case, that is probably whats causing the fans to get rattly sometimes...
Seems these forums were built in 1990 so i cant upload i picture that easily - any good suggestions for where to upload pics to link to here without hassle/giving all my personal details away for mining?

Associate
OP
Thanks. Kolink made a very nice small case that fits the smallest mATX boards. Using as a HTPC now and honestly I couldn't see any other small cases out there below 100 clams that would look good next to the tv. That is, with a very clean minimalist finish.

Now that the GPU that is to go inside has returned fixed from its recent RMA, its ready to serve up 1080p gaming at high settings from the couch!

Very happy i didn't try cutting up the other case from my OP, it was hard enough getting one rectangular hole cut in this heat with an under-powered mini circular saw.

Associate
OP
Well, that long GPU went in there today! Pics here: https://imgur.com/a/UXkP0cy

What a tight fit it was too. The cutting work was just enough, probably needed another 1mm grinding away as it slightly pushes against the fan shroud. All working and cable managed to the best possible. I'll never buy a non modular PSU ever again...

So there we go, a Kolink Satellite case can actually fit a 297mm long GPU when its own spec states 280mm max. Never believe everything you read! lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom