Nokia 6.1 (2018)

Soldato
I see a lot of people complaining about EE not releasing the updates quickly and complaining about telcos being involved in general. There are a number of good reasons that new firmware needs to be signed off by telcos, from things like how they behave on the network, or something I was once involved in was an update to a very popular range of devices which we noticed a lot of customers were suddenly dialing 999. This was because the update contained a feature where it would save a tiny bit of battery power and then bring the phone back to life if you dialed 999, which of course went around all the forums. So customers were dialing 999 and then calling/texting people afterwards with their remaining reserve battery. Not only really dangerous taking up emergency phone lines/operators, but also very costly for the telcos. I think 999 calls cost something like 99p a call for the operator from memory.

Although having said that EE should really do a better job at testing/signing off though given the timelines in that thread!

Last edited:
Associate
I assume you can still put off the update on Android One phones? Let the early adopters unearth any issues before initiating the update?

Soldato
spec wise decent but software ruins it!

gf had it for a while and got rid because -;

0 updates
constant crashing at random points
restarts required to get basic things done

etc etc

good quality device, crap software.

Associate
Yup I've been put off the 6.1 after reading around. I wonder if that's why the 6.1+ is coming out so quickly? Trying to move on and leave behind a fumbled iteration of the Nokia 6 2017?

Might wait for it. The 6.1+ is a slightly smaller phone (mostly narrower along with 1 mm of the top) which would suit me fine. Hopefully doesn't suffer the issues.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the original 6. Definitely needs a better processor which this has but as far as updates go, I get mine monthly without fail. On Vodafone so not sure if Telco specific problems.

Associate
Hello, for any looking for good standby time, my Nokia 6.1:

5 days since last charge
3:15 screen time (yes not much)
10% remaining

Caporegime
Nokia phones have been the fastest to upgrade to Android Pie. 94% of them had it in less than a year, and 96% have it now.

gsmarena-001.jpg

I picked up a Nokia 6.1 Plus recently, and I'm thrilled with it. Build quality is excellent, CPU is snappy, and the extra screen real estate makes a big difference. Resolution is a solid 1080 x 2280. I haven't tried out the camera yet, but reviews are good so I'm looking forward to that.

Best part: ANDROID ONE! :D

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

This is an upgrade from my Nokia 6, which I still recommend as a great mid range phone (my daughter has it now).

Soldato
I recently upgraded my 6.1 (TA-1050) to android10 manually. I got the download links from the nokia subreddit. It was a doddle just saving it to SD card and updating from recovery mode.

Just the other day I got the Feb security update OTA so I'm up to date.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Back
Top Bottom