Google Titan Security Key

Permabanned
I was reading that Google is launching a new security key that will come in two versions: one for USB for use with laptops and one with Bluetooth for mobile devices.

I have not used a security key until now, relying on 2FA (two factor authentification).

Have others used a different security key or not at all? I know that Google and others have distributed security keys with U2F security protocol but has now announced its own security key.

I have not seen firm pricing but heard it may launch at approx US$ 20-30 per key.

Any views?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/google-titan-security-key,37509.html

Associate
Any views?

Yes, a couple.

Apart from the fact that this barely belongs in this particular forum...

You haven't used a security key until now. So what are you using now?

So you were reading about these new keys yeah? In that Toms Hardware article right? But you haven't seen firm pricing (of course you haven't, it's not in the article silly!). But you have heard it will launch at 20-30 USD. Great! But that's not in this article. Was it from another article? Why didn't you link that one instead? Where did you hear it from? Oh and you're aware this is Overclockers UK right? So your own personal speculation about release prices in other currencies stinks even more than usual.

Oh, and I couldn't care less about security keys.

Permabanned
OP
Hardware keys are a form of 2fa.

Agree but the additional security seems worth considering, which is why I asked the question initially whether anyone on the thread has used such a key. Here is a link to Tech Times and their comment about the additional security (above 2FA) that a key provides:

"Two-factor authentication protects users from phishing attacks by requiring two sets of information to log in to an account. While a hacker may be able to steal a user's password, the second code, usually sent to the user's smartphone, is harder to acquire. It is possible to intercept the codes sent through SMS, though, so physical security keys are the more secure version. The devices need to be plugged in to the computer where users are logging in to their account."

This link also indicates pricing for each of the two keys at approx $ 25 (£20).

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/...y-keys-work-wonders-will-now-sell-you-one.htm

Man of Honour
Seems a bit pointless. Google Authenticator or MS Authenticator apps both do the same thing without the need to plug a key into a PC you might one day be working on. Plus many workplaces or public machines don't allow USB usage anyway, and most core online services use 2FA via SMS/onscreen prompt (Facebook, Google especially).

You're more likely to lose your 2fa hardware key than you are your smartphone.

This is all trying to over analyse an issue that doesn't exist beyond standard 2fa options that work flawlessly.

Soldato
Great for folks that need the extra security.

Google: Security Keys Neutralized Employee Phishing
They are a great idea for this type of scenario, we also use them where I work - hardly a Google invention though, many other similar keys are available and they aren't a mobile phone so not sure why this thread is here. Although I notice the 'only post stuff about Google' OP has been suspended now, so hopefully people can post in Google threads normally now without them being flooded.

Back
Top Bottom