A cheap NAS case - 8 x 3.5" HDD - cheaper the better...

Soldato
Cheapest I can get is £100 for the Silverstone CS380.

Hotswap is not needed, no plans to play dosey-doh with the hard drives.

Will be sat in corner, turned on and left so appearance is not a factor.

Just needs to be able to fit in eight 3.5" HDD's with some appropiate fan cooling.

CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP.

Thanks.

Soldato
Cheapest I can get is £100 for the Silverstone CS380.

Hotswap is not needed, no plans to play dosey-doh with the hard drives.

Will be sat in corner, turned on and left so appearance is not a factor.

Just needs to be able to fit in eight 3.5" HDD's with some appropiate fan cooling.

CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP.

Thanks.
I did a cheap as possible build in the same chassis not to long ago which might help you out, though have upgraded recently to more Ram and extra SSDs: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/diy-nas-build.18816486/

What OS are you planning to run and do you feel the need for ECC? This will impact price and relavence of the linked thread

Associate
I used this case for my NAS.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kolink-pitch-midi-tower-case-black-ca-014-kk.html
I was pleasantly surprised by the quality for such a low price.
My only gripe was despite it having 8 drive bays it only comes with 2 drive trays.
This wasn't an issue for me as I only intended to fit 4 drives and the first case OC sent me had been crushed in transit.
They sent me another and told me to bin the crushed one so I ended up with 4 trays.

Soldato
OP
comes with 2 drive trays.

That looks just the job but only 2 trays is a joke. They only look plastic, charge 60p more and give 6 more with the case.

Do HDD's fit into the "slots" without the sleds?

How are you supposed to use the other 6 positions?

@BongoHunter I am just planning to put FreeNAS on it. The rest of the build I am fine with but was trying to save a few quid on the case.

I do like the look of the CS380, the hotswap backplane is a nice feature but if I could save £50, I would gladly forego it.

Last edited:
Associate
Try the R5 theres a B grade

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-gr...r-case-blackout-edition-window-bg-018-fd.html

holds 8 drives with good airflow and you can add 3 more with the two 5.25 bays with en adaptor. I use this case for my fileserver modded it a bit to have a total of 13 3.5" drives plus 2 2.5" drives.

20160409_185040_zpspw0edzlh.jpg

20160410_215259_zpsjbwotrlg.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Try the R5 theres a B grade

Amazing find and a great mod you did there. Did you salvage more cages from another case?

Oddly, I have an R5 for my main case so know how good it is and being able to hold 8 drives stock is an oddity nowadays it seems.

Personally, I would prefer the R5 over the CS380. Other than the hotswap, I see no benefits of it above the R5 as the R5 is an almost perfect case in my opinion.

Can I ask what SATA controllers you are using?

Associate
Amazing find and a great mod you did there. Did you salvage more cages from another case?

Oddly, I have an R5 for my main case so know how good it is and being able to hold 8 drives stock is an oddity nowadays it seems.

Personally, I would prefer the R5 over the CS380. Other than the hotswap, I see no benefits of it above the R5 as the R5 is an almost perfect case in my opinion.

Can I ask what SATA controllers you are using?

Yeah got the other hdd cage from a friend who was doing a watercooled build and didnt need the cage. the sata controllers are old adaptec 51645 cards I have two in there as this box is connected upto a external JBOD with another 16 drives.

Soldato
OP
Yeah got the other hdd cage from a friend who was doing a watercooled build and didnt need the cage. the sata controllers are old adaptec 51645 cards I have two in there as this box is connected upto a external JBOD with another 16 drives.

I can use the 5 drive cage from my main rig in the NAS so that would give me 10 so awesome :D

Thanks for the heads up on the B-Grade. Such a bargain for a NAS case.

Will hopefully come tomorrow, just hope has most of its bits and not a dented mess :D

Last edited:
Associate
I can use the 5 drive cage from my main rig in the NAS so that would give me 10 so awesome :D

Thanks for the heads up o the B-Grade. Such a bargain for a NAS case.

Will hopefully come tomorrow, just hope has most of its bits and not a dented mess :D

I have had B-grades of overclockers before sometimes they are just open box and not even removed.

Soldato
OP
I have had B-grades of overclockers before sometimes they are just open box and not even removed.

Fingers crossed.

Soo chuffed to get a second R5.

I did consider moving my existing R5 to the NAS and getting a cheaper case for main rig but this ticks all the boxes.

The thing is, the R5 is a SUPERB case, I love mine. Genuinely is a jack of all trades with few compromises, if any.

Soldato
OP
JACKPOT.

Literally just seems to be "open box". Box with parts is unopened and no signs of scratches where mobo mounts would be.

Will make a cracking NAS box, soo much room for Airflow with fans in the right places.

Back
Top Bottom