• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

40th Anniversary Intel - Core i7-8086K - 5.0GHz+

Man of Honour
possible SKUs

4/4
6/6
8/8
8/16

and this comment

HT days are numbered tho, performance benefits are limited and it has security flaws. Someone on there also thinks 6/12 is superior to 8/8 for some reason.

As CL proven with the 8600k been better than a 7700k, real cores beats fake cores.

While nothing beats real cores - HT is usually "free" performance though and doesn't usually come as a sacrifice to being able to stick additional cores in there and can be a fair boost in some cases and often makes things smoother even when there isn't a raw performance increase - I find it very noticeable in terms of smoothness if I'm working with a lot of software or a thread heavy game between having it in and off.

Man of Honour
What volts does it read when you do that? Most boards are crazy aggressive with auto overclocks, some push 1.4v+ into the chip and you really don't want that long term. And almost certainly don't need it.
I've looked and it's pretty high, going to see if I can set it manually.

Man of Honour
It kept crashing with Vcore all the way up 1.38, so I dug around and remembered Load Line Calibration or similar, I set that to 'turbo' or 'extreme' I can't remember which. Vcore set at 1.35 in the BIOS now and showing 1.32 ish in CPU-Z, seems stable. Should I look at lowering even more or be happy?

image.png

Soldato
It kept crashing with Vcore all the way up 1.38, so I dug around and remembered Load Line Calibration or similar, I set that to 'turbo' or 'extreme' I can't remember which. Vcore set at 1.35 in the BIOS now and showing 1.32 ish in CPU-Z, seems stable. Should I look at lowering even more or be happy?

1.35 falling to 1.32 under load is pretty decent. I'd be inclined to see if it can come down any further (what was it drooping to before?) but probably not worth getting obsessed over if temps are controlled. Are you at max LLC setting now, or can that go up another notch?

Man of Honour
I can put LLC up one more but then the Vcore shows higher in CPUZ than what I set it to. It’s at 5.1GHz now and stable. Temps not an issue as it’s under water.

Soldato
I can put LLC up one more but then the Vcore shows higher in CPUZ than what I set it to. It’s at 5.1GHz now and stable. Temps not an issue as it’s under water.

Mine sort of does that... I set 1.355 in bios, gaming reads 1.348 and stress testing 1.36. Which to me seems like exactly the best outcome since it only needs that peak voltage under extreme load, and it's been 100% solid for 2 weeks of mixed use without a reboot :)

But I think I'd just leave it alone in your position, especially if you're on offset voltage with good temps.

Man of Honour
I’m more than happy with it. I don’t see much point in trying for more than 5.1 to be honest, the PC is lightning quick as it is. Thanks for your help/pointers.

Soldato
Now I just need to upgrade my AMD R9 290, but I think I'll do that when games start chugging. Also depending how the memory comes down in price, I might future proof myself and get another 16gb, because Im guessing the cpu wont need changing for 5-10yrs,

Associate
I’m more than happy with it. I don’t see much point in trying for more than 5.1 to be honest, the PC is lightning quick as it is. Thanks for your help/pointers.

How does it compare to your 5960X, I'm thinking of making the same jump from a 5960x at 4.5 but need a gentle nudge.

Soldato
...because Im guessing the cpu wont need changing for 5-10yrs,

I'd suggest that we seem to be at the start of a new CPU race, where Intel and AMD are going to push each other hard to add cores and clocks. Feels like CPUs bought today will be obsolete much faster than those of the Sandybridge era.

Whether they will still be good for gaming in 5 years is a different question. That's up to developers to find use for CPU time (e.g. doing real, actual, clever, learning AI algorithms that play more like a human) and graphics cards to take a big enough jump forward that they're bottlenecked by today's top-end processors. If neither makes real progress, the yeah, you may find today's CPUs are still good in 5. 10 is a real stretch...

Man of Honour
How does it compare to your 5960X, I'm thinking of making the same jump from a 5960x at 4.5 but need a gentle nudge.

It wasn't a slouch before but it does feel nippier. That said I think the best upgrade I have done in recent months is to get a GSync monitor.

Associate
Thanks, I need at least 40inch 4K plus Gsync or something sync plus HDR to upgrade at the moment. Also I need or think I do more PCIe lanes than 8086K i.e. minimum 20 ideally 40ish for 2 x nvme etc. Probably wait until AMD 7nm next year.
If you play Arma 3 lemme know how 8086K compares please.

Man of Honour
Thanks, I need at least 40inch 4K plus Gsync or something sync plus HDR to upgrade at the moment. Also I need or think I do more PCIe lanes than 8086K i.e. minimum 20 ideally 40ish for 2 x nvme etc. Probably wait until AMD 7nm next year.
If you play Arma 3 lemme know how 8086K compares please.
Are you running ultra wide? If not you may like it, more than 4k. It's incredibly immersive.

Motherboards have their own lanes for m2 SSDs, so no need to worry about the 'lack' on the 8086k. Z370 has 24 PCIe lanes.

Soldato
I'd suggest that we seem to be at the start of a new CPU race, where Intel and AMD are going to push each other hard to add cores and clocks. Feels like CPUs bought today will be obsolete much faster than those of the Sandybridge era.

Whether they will still be good for gaming in 5 years is a different question. That's up to developers to find use for CPU time (e.g. doing real, actual, clever, learning AI algorithms that play more like a human) and graphics cards to take a big enough jump forward that they're bottlenecked by today's top-end processors. If neither makes real progress, the yeah, you may find today's CPUs are still good in 5. 10 is a real stretch...

This is my first high end cpu I've bought since my AMD64 FX55 cpu, and if I remember rightly that cost me about £500. Its nice to have the fastest cpu again, even though I cant see much of a diff from my 2500k or 2600k cpu,... I guess it will shine when stuff gets more demanding though

Soldato
This is my first high end cpu I've bought since my AMD64 FX55 cpu, and if I remember rightly that cost me about £500. Its nice to have the fastest cpu again, even though I cant see much of a diff from my 2500k or 2600k cpu,... I guess it will shine when stuff gets more demanding though

I guess that's situational. For me, a Ryzen 1600X was a huge jump vs a 2500K in Cities Skylines, and then the 8700K was a huge jump vs the 1600X in single threaded things like Kerbal Space Program. I'm a niche case and often CPU limited one way or the other, but it does tend to make me appreciate the advancements :)

Soldato
I immediately noticed the difference on my 8600k vs my 4670k, FF15 overloaded my poor 4670k. Whilst the 8600k can handle it.

Even a few generations jump of people consider small performance improvements, consider the higher clockability as well as the IPC improvements, from haswell to CL I got approx.

25% improvement per core performance
75% improvement multi core performance

On top of that doubled ram speeds and significant boost in cache speeds.

Back
Top Bottom