Bathroom sink "pop up" waste plug replacement

Associate
We had our bathroom done last march and got one of those, seems really smart and handy at the time but its been nothing but a nightmare getting stuck all the time
It finally gave up the ghost tonight and im in two minds as to whether replace it or just get a normal plug.
If i do replace it is there a standard size or do they vary?

Associate
OP
Maybe ive just had a bad experience, reckon its worth trying again?
When its down its not water tight, it hasnt bothered me because im the only one in the house that shaves (in the sink) but ive got a huge beard the barber trims now lol

Soldato
It's by far the most popular waste nowadays so you've probably just had a duff one or somehow it wasn't fitted correctly.

(I sell bathrooms online)

Wait are you talking about a push popup or the lever behind the tap popup? Levers can be tempermental.

Soldato
... you tried adjusting it, and de-scaling/cleaning ? ... my bath one got stuck but had become mal-adjusted due to rotation/tightening on locknut thread ....
maybe there are different types.

Associate
OP
I’ll take a photo soon as I can and show you guys, maybe I’ve got the wrong name for it.
It’s the a copper coloured spring part that clicks in, with the chrome plug on the top.

When it was down it wouldn’t be water tight (I mean drains pretty quick and unusable for a shave etc), and quite often it would get stuck.

The lad who fitted our bathroom was an idiot who caused no end of problems so we wanted rid of him soon as possible and never bothered asking anymore to come back to fix it (one of the 5 or so little things he didn’t bother sorting when he “finished” the job)

Soldato
I've just replaced mine (they seem to last a couple of years of so). We have very hard water so they tend to scale up. The bathroom sink one (where we shave) i pressed it down and the whole of the inside just gave way. Thats brass and it had corroded.

Soldato
Y
I’ll take a photo soon as I can and show you guys, maybe I’ve got the wrong name for it.
It’s the a copper coloured spring part that clicks in, with the chrome plug on the top.

When it was down it wouldn’t be water tight (I mean drains pretty quick and unusable for a shave etc), and quite often it would get stuck.

The lad who fitted our bathroom was an idiot who caused no end of problems so we wanted rid of him soon as possible and never bothered asking anymore to come back to fix it (one of the 5 or so little things he didn’t bother sorting when he “finished” the job)

Yer a "press top" waste. It does pop though too I guess :p

Standard diameter but the length of the thread might differ so you might have to chop the pipe underneath. Probably not though.

Associate
OP
It's about a year old, but it worked no better when it was brand new and spotless (please dont judge my sink lol)
Would anyone be amazing enough to show me exactly what i need to re order?
sR2lEwd.jpg
uyKDpuJ.jpg

Soldato
Mine is a pop up one actuated by a rotating knob under the taps. The thing sometimes decides not to open at all resulting in having to leaver it up with a knife. The bath was already in there when we got the place and is tiled in so no access below without some liberal use of blunt force and expletives... Give me a plug on a chain any day

Soldato
Not allowed to pimp my own so...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/sprung-b...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=COH75t65zNwCFQ4x0wod32gKzg

Guessing your basin has an overflow? If it does you need a "slotted" one. If it doesn't you need an "unslotted" one.

Wouldn't fancy your chances in finding just the part that's broken and it being compatible. So you need the whole thing, shouldn't be any more than £15. But you'll have to fit it!

Associate
The only thing I would say is get a decent one because the cheap ones have very thin chrome plating which falls off within a year.

Associate
OP
So long term might be easier to change the entire waste and not just replace that part? Dont know if i trust myself doing it lol

Back
Top Bottom