** Official Ubuntu Thread **

Don
My point is that I don't want Windows ;)

but you want Windows functionality... I want my Ford to run like a Ferrari but its not a Ferrari, so I wont get the same features and it won't run like one :D BUT if I had to choose an alternative then Ubuntu would be it, you might want to look at Wine as well if you want to run Windows stuff on Ubuntu :)

Stelly

Soldato
but you want Windows functionality... I want my Ford to run like a Ferrari but its not a Ferrari, so I wont get the same features and it won't run like one :D BUT if I had to choose an alternative the Ubuntu would be it, you might want to look at Wine as well if you want to run Windows stuff on Ubuntu :)

Stelly

Haha, fair point.

To be honest, 80% of what I do is in a web browser, which I presume Ubuntu does equally well. The word processing etc stuff can easily transition to Google Docs, so it's only the gaming that's left and that's a pretty small deal to me.

My question is less to do with what programs run on Ubuntu (I accept that I'll be able to run less and by and large that's fine for me), and more to do with whether for the average / slightly above averagely computer literate person, it is now a viable and reliable OS.

(Also, very familiar with Wine having frequently wrestled with it on my last forays into Linux 5 or so years ago.)

Don
100% yes, might take some getting use too but Ubuntu Desktop I have heard has matured very well over the years, as anything it will be a steep learning curve but I always here time and time again of people trying it out, liking it but going back to Windows or Mac... give it a go mate, best way to see if you like it :)

Stelly

Soldato
Upgraded both of my servers from Ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04 and I'm very impressed with how natural the upgrade process was. Everything seems to be running well, and my websites have had a nice speed boost because I've been able to deploy HTTP/2 on them all which Ubuntu 16.04 didn't support.

Soldato
OP
Quite liking the new 18.10 version. Nice upgrade form 18.04 and previous Ubuntu versions.

Seems stable, fast and things just work.

---

Is there any reason why some software is a little behind the latest versions?

For example LibreOffice comes with the OS but is a few minor versions behind and also VirtualBox is in the repositories but is also a few minor versions behind.

I could update them to the last versions manually but was wondering if there was a reason for this?

What I notice as a difference is the version are _ubuntu for example. Which indicates to me these are ubuntu specific versions. Probably tested.

---

One thing which is great but unexpected is in Ubuntu videos on websites and YouTube just work! Not sure if it's flash or not but in Fedora you just get an error message that the video couldn't play back due to an error.

This is in Firefox on both operating systems. I doubt Firefox on Ubuntu is being shipped with Flash pre-installed.

Last edited:
Soldato

Yawn! :)

Should've just been a major patch - the new GNOME looks pretty nice, and the new kernel is always appreciated - haven't seen the new flutter UI for installing, but other than that absolutely nothing of note.

Soldato
I'm not sure if the new mini.iso installer just downloads the packages from the standard iso installer or if it's more like the Debian network installer and grabs the latest apt packages?

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anybody used Ubuntu with a touch screen? If so how did you find it?

I have a Lenovo C13 Chromebook being delivered later this week which has a 13" touchscreen and will have a go at installing Ubuntu and seeing how well the touchscreen works with it.

Associate
the amount of updates you get these days for LTS is getting ridiculous.
There can be, depending what you have installed. (for example KDE always adds in quite a few). However the positive side is that they are binary pkgs, and most of them don't unduly strain most people's downloads, or take that long to install. At least compared to something else like gentoo or arch linux.

Associate
Haha, fair point.

To be honest, 80% of what I do is in a web browser, which I presume Ubuntu does equally well. The word processing etc stuff can easily transition to Google Docs, so it's only the gaming that's left and that's a pretty small deal to me.

My question is less to do with what programs run on Ubuntu (I accept that I'll be able to run less and by and large that's fine for me), and more to do with whether for the average / slightly above averagely computer literate person, it is now a viable and reliable OS.

(Also, very familiar with Wine having frequently wrestled with it on my last forays into Linux 5 or so years ago.)
Try Linux Mint Cinnamon if you want a more simple familiar looking GUI over the horrific new Ubuntu/Fedora etc etc.

Soldato
Try Linux Mint Cinnamon if you want a more simple familiar looking GUI over the horrific new Ubuntu/Fedora etc etc.
I think the post you're replying to is 5 years old! But thank you anyway - I'm v happy with Ubuntu on my cheapo Lenovo Ideapad (and dare I say, I like the UI!).

Associate
If not ubuntu then i would consider either Debian, or the next +1 version of VanillaOS (once they rebase VanillaOS onto Debian, should be next upcoming major version).

Associate
I think the post you're replying to is 5 years old! But thank you anyway - I'm v happy with Ubuntu on my cheapo Lenovo Ideapad (and dare I say, I like the UI!).
I only replied cause there was recent replies :) I used to love how Ubuntu looked, but hate how it and most modern linux gui's do now, that's why mint is a solid choice as it's ubuntu underneath :) It's wicked how it'll work on pretty much anything though right :)

Soldato
I only replied cause there was recent replies :) I used to love how Ubuntu looked, but hate how it and most modern linux gui's do now, that's why mint is a solid choice as it's ubuntu underneath :) It's wicked how it'll work on pretty much anything though right :)
Haha, well thank you either way! Yup, it's so good (I mean, the laptop is pretty reasonable, 5600U and 16GB RAM, so it's not a terrible slouch), but I remember the days of running Xubuntu and then Crunchbang on my old Asus Eee PC and it was fantastic.

Associate
Haha, well thank you either way! Yup, it's so good (I mean, the laptop is pretty reasonable, 5600U and 16GB RAM, so it's not a terrible slouch), but I remember the days of running Xubuntu and then Crunchbang on my old Asus Eee PC and it was fantastic.
Ahhh Eee PC <3 Always wanted one, had a msi wind, running macosx. That thing was badass!
Yeah I love banging Xubuntu on older hardware, it's literally my preferred posion!
Mint for me these days though. Just love that clean interface, similar to Xubuntu, just a bit spicier!

Back
Top Bottom