• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8 core coffeelake on Z370 ?

Soldato
I suspect the next iteration from AMD will significantly overtake intel in IPC - well by 5 -10% but that significant for intel! - and at least match intel in clock speed.

Not good times for the blue team in 2019.
I'm not convinced AMD will match Intel's peak clock speeds and I'm also not convinced they'll even want to. Intel have to basically throw efficiency out the window to reach the clock speeds they use now (hence relatively low base clocks on their 65 W parts and generally large gaps between base and boost clocks), similar to what AMD had to do with the R7 2700X. If AMD do get an IPC advantage and a core count advantage at every price point then they don't even need to match Intel on clock speed, especially since all their chips are unlocked anyway. They would potentially claim a multithreaded performance win, a single threaded performance tie, and an efficiency win at various price points, and then still offer more overclocking headroom and market that towards gamers.

Soldato
I'm not convinced AMD will match Intel's peak clock speeds...

It does seem like a big ask. Remembering that Sandy->Ivy->Haswell->Broad->Skylake->Kaby included some shrinks along the way, and the common max OC didn't really change from 5ghz (and sometimes dropped!). Expecting AMD to find 7-800mhz on the first iteration of a shrink is... optimistic, imo.

Be great if they pull it off, I just don't think people should be planning their hardware today around it :)

Soldato
It does seem like a big ask. Remembering that Sandy->Ivy->Haswell->Broad->Skylake->Kaby included some shrinks along the way, and the common max OC didn't really change from 5ghz (and sometimes dropped!). Expecting AMD to find 7-800mhz on the first iteration of a shrink is... optimistic, imo.

Be great if they pull it off, I just don't think people should be planning their hardware today around it :)

Actually the issue with Ryzen 2xxx it cannot achieve 4.5Ghz is the damn VRMs on the boards and less the CPU.

Soldato
lol, source?
Check buldzoid's video who's doing proper overclocking not half arsed one like the others.
His 2700X can hit 4.5Ghz only on the Ultra Gaming, and that due to that he can fiddle with the PBO offsets that do not exist on others, on all others is between 4.2-4.3 tops. His words is that UG with a 6 core or less could easily maintain 4.5Ghz CPU.
But he hasn't posted yet the results of his Gaming 7 which combines good VRM and BIOS.

All his videos though are too technical for most of "today's" overclockers....

Associate
Still time for Intel to partially lock the flagship i9-9900K to the Z390 by disabling hyper-threading on the Z370. Intel would never do such a thing tho...

Associate
To be fair, that was a reasonable assumption given Intel's previous practices.
AFAIK intel haven't released a Z series board that has not been supported for 2 generations.
Which is common knowledge on tech sites yet people still moan when they buy a Z270 and find out it was the 2nd generation in that series and a new board is required for the next generation/series.
Not that I expect some people to get the basics right when their bias is akin to poking a sharp stick into one of their eyes meaning they are a 50% blind.

Caporegime
MSI issued a press release confirming support for the 9000 series on their Z370 boards. It has since been removed though; probably due to the embargo.

Don't ya love these embargo's about stuff that's probably already 99% common knowledge in the tech community? Yet the manufacturers have to play along like its super secret stuff nobody has a clue about :p

Associate
Don't ya love these embargo's about stuff that's probably already 99% common knowledge in the tech community? Yet the manufacturers have to play along like its super secret stuff nobody has a clue about :p
common knowledge? last time I checked a bunch of people going around doubting whether z370 could work or not.

Back
Top Bottom