DIY car garages

Soldato
Guys, i need to change a clutch on my Rx, but don't fancy doing it on my drive. Now i've got all the tools needed and i've even removed, rebuilt and refitted the engine on this car, but i just don't fancy the hassle with the gearbox.

Is there any garages that let you rent the ramps for a few hours, and what sort of price per hour am i looking at?

Maz

Maz

Soldato
Guys, i need to change a clutch on my Rx, but don't fancy doing it on my drive. Now i've got all the tools needed and i've even removed, rebuilt and refitted the engine on this car, but i just don't fancy the hassle with the gearbox.

Is there any garages that let you rent the ramps for a few hours, and what sort of price per hour am i looking at?

If you drive upto Newcastle you can borrow mine for a few hours :)

Soldato
actually this is an idea I looked at 10 years ago, renting out the space and tools etc, but costs and insurance made it not cost effective enough to bother with so not sure you'll find anywhere.

Best bet would be to approach a local indy garage and ask.

Soldato
The only thing that worries me with these places - What happens if for whatever reason you can't find the job in the alotted time? I.E You need additional parts or tools? I imagine that they'll charge you heavily for killing off a ramp.

Associate
Ive used these guys: http://www.selfservicecentre.com/

Friendly staff, can rent ramps for whole day (60 quid I believe) from like 10 in the morning till at least 5 or 6 at night, I say at least because the mechanic running it told me he stays as late as he can to help get jobs done. He stayed untill 10/11 for me to finish up.

Several motorfactors who deliver nearby if you need a part, recommend thoroughly :)

Soldato
OP
There's one in Bromsgrove:

Clciky

£10/hour, open 24/7 with full tools and ramps.

Mmm, That would be perfect, bromsgrove aint too far from where i live in dudley.

The site says...
Standard bays are £10 per hour inc VAT, whilst a bay with a 4 post ramp with Sealey Jacking Beams or a 2 post ramp which hold up to 3 tonnes is £20 per hour inc VAT

If i'm reading that right, that means it's £20 per hour to use the ramps, unless their standard £10 p/h bay has a pit?
Have you actually used these guys before Matmulder?

I'm not sure if it can be classed as a good idea, but I have seen I bloke using a forklift for that purpose. Do you own a forklift?
Nope. I used to be a fork lift driver and could have done it a few years back, but i changed careers.

Associate
Seen a few YouTube channels using a place in Oxford called "This is your garage", if that's not too far? I'm sure there will be some in London mind
Thanks Invertigo, Oxford is a bit far from me. I see there is a place in Acton also but nothing East of London it seems.

Soldato
There are some about, I came across one in Sheffield, £10/hr or £50 for the day, and they carry plenty of tools should you need them, and fellas on site for assistance or advice. Can't say I've used it yet, but they have plenty of happy customers on facebook, so will be asking for use of their press when I decide to swap some bushings.

Soldato
I looked into this recently for myself and a mate to do our clutches. Unfortunately for us the closest was 70miles away....

Back
Top Bottom