Replace 7 year old PSU?

Soldato
Hi

I was wondering if its worth changing my PSU? I currently have a Antec HCP-1200w psu and it has been nothing short of amazing, to be honest I have never used more than 250-260ww from this thing at any one time and that is under load. Like i mentioned never had a problem with it and I am about to do a new Ryzen build and was thinking it might be best just to replace is as a precaution just encase it goes boom.

I was thinking of getting a Seasonic Prime Ultra titanium but this is £260 almost

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...-titanium-modular-power-supply-ca-063-ss.html

but for £50 less I can get Seasonic prime platinum

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...-platinum-modular-power-supply-ca-05y-ss.html

I cant seem to figure out what the difference is between the Prime Ultra and just normal Prime series apart from titanium? Not sure if its worth buying titanium and 300w less or get platinum with 300w more and £50 less?

I do leave my computer on 24-7 mostly in sleep mode but generally never shut down. I really need something that will give me room to expand to thread ripper type platform and dual GPU with water cooling in the future.

Thanks all

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys

Yeah you are both correct, was just worried if thing went boom one day and take out my shiny new equipment. But will keep it for a while longer. The only real reason i want to upgrade is because its not fully modular and I really want a neat and tidy case this time round. But will now wait for sea sonic to release a 1300w version of the Ultra Prime Titanium.

Soldato
I'd just use it until the warranty runs out, if you get a 10 year warranty then it should be capable of doing so, otherwise the manufacture would get far to many RMA's. If you have cheap hardware then continue using it, if you get a new build replace IMO.

Soldato
still using the Seasonic M12-600W which i brought in 2007 and Will also buy the Seasonic focus plus 750w for my next upgrade.

Man of Honour
I have a seasonic from about 2008. It was second hand then. It's been used several hours a day ever since. Still running fine. I am looking for another one simply because it's not modular.

Associate
Antec earthwatts ... a really good supply .. just seemed to ooze quality.
With an old supply isnt there some probability of incompatibility with haswell ++ and sleep mode ? i.e the cpu draws sp little power the system shuts itself down?? iirc

Soldato
Antec earthwatts ... a really good supply .. just seemed to ooze quality.
With an old supply isnt there some probability of incompatibility with haswell ++ and sleep mode ? i.e the cpu draws sp little power the system shuts itself down?? iirc
Yeah there can be but I think most BIOS have the option for older PSU's, personally I never use sleep so that wouldn't bother me.

Soldato
Only bad to start with PSUs would have had any problem with that.
Idle consumption of CPUs dropped to few watts already during Core 2 era and if that lowering further was enough to destabilize PSU it was total crap already then.

Back
Top Bottom