• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Associate
Personally prefer to support the underdog in a situation where both are equal to ensure competition. Adding Intel into the mix should keep things lively with 3 players at least.

Same for me. The following makes no logical sense so I won’t try to justify it logically. I knew the smart thing to do was to buy a 1070 ti, but instead I bought a Vega 56 the other day. I’ve got a free sync monitor though.

Soldato
I purchased mine for £190 a month or so ago on members market. It is in great condition and I would be surprised if the price drops much on it once the new cards come out to be honest.
Depends if we start seeing an influx of 1080s hitting the 2nd hand market

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Depends if we start seeing an influx of 1080s hitting the 2nd hand market
We likely will, they just probably won't be selling at a price point that will push the price of a 980Ti down too much imo.

I remember when the 1070 came out, people were still happy to pay close to brand new prices of 1070 for a second had 980Ti on members market. Back then I thought the 980Ti second hand would be worth around £200, but people were happy paying £300or more just because the brand new price was £500 not so long before. But I did not get why anyone would pay around £300 for a second hand 980Ti when for around £50 more you could get a brand new 1070 at the time. This was before the mining boom btw, so there was no major demand/supply issues either.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Isn't the 980ti a bit of a 1 off case tho? Iirc the 1070 was on a par with a 980ti at stock but over clocking didn't the Maxwell card OC a lot better than the 1070?
Yeah, but not by much, I would rather take the less OC and get extra 2GB of RAM, cooler and quieter card that runs on a newer architecture and consumes a less electric.

Soldato
We likely will, they just probably won't be selling at a price point that will push the price of a 980Ti down too much imo.

I remember when the 1070 came out, people were still happy to pay close to brand new prices of 1070 for a second had 980Ti on members market. Back then I thought the 980Ti second hand would be worth around £200, but people were happy paying £300or more just because the brand new price was £500 not so long before. But I did not get why anyone would pay around £300 for a second hand 980Ti when for around £50 more you could get a brand new 1070 at the time. This was before the mining boom btw, so there was no major demand/supply issues either.

Possibly, I think the 980ti should be the go to card for anyone at 1080p looking for a great card on a budget. Sure it handles 1440p just fine for me. I assume the reason the 1070 hasn't dropped in price is the fact that the power efficiency makes it attractive to miners. If so, I imagine you're right that it, and the 1080 wouldn't drop in price enough. Unless the miners drop loads on the market and move onto next gen cards (I wouldn't count on that)

Associate
I think nvidia will dry up the stock of 10 series cards perfectly in time for new cards.
Possibly, all they'd need to do is get back to MSRP and the pent up gamer demand will gobble them up. Hopefully the new GPUs aren't that high of a markup compared to Pascal launch prices.

Associate
I guess I am being optimistic, memory pricing is still inflated and AMD isn't going to provide any competition apart from the entry level, so they can increase pricing. Current trade wars will probably also impact things.
Remains to be seen.

Back
Top Bottom