Cloning a drive.

Associate
Afternoon all,

I'm about to upgrade my computer and I'm wanting to clone my Windows drive to a new drive, however as the SSD was too small I moved the downloads/documents etc (folders) onto my secondary drive, if I clone my windows drive will the presets that I have arranged also follow or will it corrupt them in some way?

Thanks in advance.

Associate
OP
One strange thing I had, I had to make the main partition smaller first(reduced it by 1 gb) then it recognised the rest of the space and I could resize the partition to full space.

Seems odd but I'll make sure to look out for it. Thanks for the heads-up.

Associate
OP
If you are using Samsung drives, their free data migration software works well. I cloned my Samsung Evo 850 250GB to a Evo 970 500GB without any issues.

Sadly I don't own any Samsung drives but thanks for the heads-up about it, definitely keep that in my for any future purchases :)

Soldato
Yeh macrium just takes care of partition sizes automatically assuming the total data on the source drive is less than the size of the destination drive.

Associate
I used the EaseUS Todo Backup free version to move from a larger drive to a smaller drive the other day. Moving from a normal HDD to SSD for a neighbours laptop. As long as the SSD is larger than the space your using it worked fine. Didn't have to play with partitions or anything.

Back
Top Bottom