• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 8700k CPU frequency all over the place (built today)

Associate
Hello to all. I have noticed straight away in Core Temp or CPU Z my CPU frequency is up and down like a yo yo. Is there some setting in the BIOS that keeps the frequency at 3.7GHz default? I will be overclocking soon though to hopefully 4.7 or 4.8GHz. Thank you :)

Soldato
That's what they do by default (and have done for many years).

Why would you want the CPU running at full speed when the PC is idle?

The frequency and the voltage will ramp as the load increases.

Associate
You can change the settings in the bios, or 'overclock' it to keep it at the same speed, but no one really does that unless they are benchmarking, best to overclock it and let it frequency scale as it needs.

Soldato
As others have said, this is not a bug, it isn't a performance nor stability hit, and it does reduce power consumption when idle. There's no obvious way to turn it off because there is no benefit to doing so :)

Soldato
My old CPU (i7 920 D0) did not do this, it stayed at 4GHz. I want to find out what the setting is in the BIOS that causes this. I can't remember.
The i7-920 does indeed drop its frequency by default, even when overclocking. You must've turned it off. Leave it alone, it's fine.

Associate
Also means it'll be running at maximum TDP all the time and belting out 95W constantly for no benefit.

That won’t happen, even running at full speed if the cpu is not in use it won’t draw much juice. Check the power draw in hwinfo when your pc is idle at the maximum performance power setting.

My 8700k @ 4.8Ghz 1.275v all core is only pulling about 17W right now.

Associate
OP
That won’t happen, even running at full speed if the cpu is not in use it won’t draw much juice. Check the power draw in hwinfo when your pc is idle at the maximum performance power setting.

My 8700k @ 4.8Ghz 1.275v all core is only pulling about 17W right now.
Where is this maximum performance power setting? In Windows? Could you help me on this please?

Caporegime
That's what they do by default (and have done for many years).

Why would you want the CPU running at full speed when the PC is idle?

The frequency and the voltage will ramp as the load increases.

always keep mine full blast.i want the power full stop.also some games you can see drops on other power methods and ramping up.i noticed this in a few games recently.

Soldato
always keep mine full blast.i want the power full stop.also some games you can see drops on other power methods and ramping up.i noticed this in a few games recently.

+1
Even though i have a 2700x, there is no way i would keep it at anything other than full chat.

You only have to run the most basic of benchies to see the difference.

To be perfectly honest, i think the reason most peeps are more than happy to to use MCE and the AMD version, is because they think they then don't need to do proper testing.
Over the years that has become more obvious because peeps now just assume that XMP works..............yes it does with Intel. But what most don't seem to realize is that even with 3200 14-14-14 even B-die has totally **** sub timings, Intel or AMD.
Auto clocking is now so endemic...............that most peeps on here have next to no idea how to clock a CPU and no idea at all how to clock ram.

Soldato
i think the reason most peeps are more than happy to to use MCE and the AMD version, is because they think they then don't need to do proper testing

That makes no sense to me. Surely those who are content to stick with auto boosts are those who have no interest in overclocking. or aren't sufficiently nerdy enough? Those of us who do overclock will do so properly.

Back
Top Bottom