4 x 4TB in external enclosure, best configuration

Soldato
I have 4 x 4TB HDDs about to be installed in a Startech 5 bay enclosure (no hardware RAID, connection over USB3.0). It will be used for archiving all forms of media. What the best and most reliable way to do this to maximize resilience and storage space?

Soldato
OP
Why aren't you using a NAS for this?

What are you connecting it to?

Is it the S355BU33ERM you have?

Is that one and it was free, so I don't want to shell out anymore cash as I've no need to access the data from anywhere other than my PC/Workstation so no need for NAS (Though a have a NAS as a media server etc. in place). I'm essentially archiving loads of data from numerous hard drives I've acquired over the years.

Soldato
So when the Startech enclosure is connected to a workstation, how does the workstation see the storage? As one JBOD or seperate volumes? Can this be configured on some kind of interface that the enclosure hosts?

Not familiar with these types of enclosures :)

Windows 10 has it's own software raid functionality hence my asking...

Soldato
Pretty sure you can't do redundancy via USB on that enclosure, it'll likely just default to JBOD. You'd need to connect via an eSATA connection that supports a port multiplier to get the individual drives to setup software RAID.

Soldato
OP
Pretty sure you can't do redundancy via USB on that enclosure, it'll likely just default to JBOD. You'd need to connect via an eSATA connection that supports a port multiplier to get the individual drives to setup software RAID.

Thanks - that explains what I am seeing. On USB I can see all disks, but via eSATA cant see any unless only one is connected. Guess internal eSATA does not support port multiplier. PCIe card arriving tomorrow that does though :)

Man of Honour
Personally I'd be trying to create two pools of drives (if that's possible on USB?). RAID isn't a backup. But if you have two 2x4gb pools then the second pool can be a backup.

Back
Top Bottom