Tabletop Warhammer?

Commissario
Which from one of the popular discount websites should set you somewhere around £150. The Warlords are nearly £70 each on their own so the box is well worth picking up if your getting into it.

Aye I'm definitely going to try and get it, unfortunately it sounds like it might be low stocks until a reprint.

What was the really old (talking like 20+ years old) version of this game? I remember in the box you got an Imperator and an Ork Titan as well.
Epic 40k: Titan Legions.

There are apparently people complaining that GW have changed the scale for the new game from 4mm, as GW should apparently have maintained scale with a game they discontinued 15-20 odd years ago, despite the fact that they are starting a new game that shares it's roots (not continuing it), and that they can do far better looking models at the new size.

Soldato
Aye I'm definitely going to try and get it, unfortunately it sounds like it might be low stocks until a reprint.

Oh really I hadn't heard about that, if that's the case they are potentially going to loose out as the demand for this release seems massive. I really hope GW haven't underestimated, although it's technically a Forgeworld release right? Which if so would explain more limited quantities being available.

Commissario
I managed to snag a copy from Element at about 10:01, there were several of us on voice comms/in whatsapp all with a selection of our favourite etailers open and refreshing.

I think Element sold out in something like two minutes.

From what I understand the part of FW/GW that is making these games is under a lot of pressure not to have any release fail or end up with a lot of excess stock (with the implication being if they fail badly once the department may get shut down*), so they're playing it cautiously in terms of how many copies they make and how they make them. I think that's part of the reason some of the Bloodbowl stuff is resin and some is plastic as they didn't expect enough demand to warrant going plastic for everything from what was said at the open day, and from what I've heard they were also running into simple issues with getting time on the machines for everything** (I suspect it's like publishing where the machines can do everything with relatively easy changes, but they have capacity and scheduling issues).

I'd guess it's a nice problem for a company to have, finding their product is in higher demand than they anticipated,

*One tale I've heard is that's partly in response to the old GorkaMorka set where if it's to be believed GW ended up with many thousands of sets that never sold in Europe and there wasn't enough demand to warrant repackaging them for the UK.

**I've heard a rumour they actually have spare plastics machines that they simply can't use because Nottingham's electrical grid needs some work done to increase the available capacity, and GW refuse to pay for infrastructure work that is far in excess of what they need (it sounds similar to the situation in my town, where for several years due to loads of new build estates our local grid couldn't cope very well with the load and the grid kept putting off improving it because it needed new major power links as well as substations).

Last edited:
Soldato
Popped into Warhammer world on our way home from France, I'm sure it's supposed to be inspiring for rubbish painters like me but I just found it daunting :p

The quality and scale of the place was just immense. The huge ultramarine v Khorne was amazing and my head nearly popped off seeing the ancient Warhammer Quest diarama that turned me into a complete WHQ addict about 25 years ago, amazing place!

Only spent a little bit as tight on funds this month but need to make a return trip.

Commissario
Aye Warhammer world is both inspiring and daunting :p

A few of my group try to make a trip once a year, usually around warhammer fest or an open day so we spend a day at the event then (if needed) go over to nottingham and spend the night before spending the next day at WHW, it's usually quite quiet the day after the big event and a few years back we ended up chatting to the curator of the old museum as she was putting stuff back in the displays after they'd returned from the NEC.

We tend to find that every time we go we see something new in the displays and end up taking loads of pictures both for reference and inspiration (the knight bay they've had up for a couple of years is awesome with loads of little details).

Soldato
oRamGBd.jpg

@Pookie Bear bullied me into collecting Nighthaunt so I picked up these two guys at Warhammer World, wanted a quick and easy (but still effective looking) technique for painting them as I never get as much time to paint and want to finish an army.

Painted both the above in an hour (not counting drying time which would make it 2 hours) so 30mins a model for something which looks pretty good, I'm well happy! :)

Commissario
Those look really good, you wouldn't think they'd only taken an hour or so each:)
I'm hoping when I get around to doing my next lot of Plaguebearers and Daemonettes I'll manage a similar time per model (from what I remember my last lot of daemonettes took longer for the minimal armour than everything else as they were largely washed).
One of my friends is a master of the fast paint, I've no idea how he does it, but he can turn out 20 or 30 models that look as good as/nearly as good as what I can do for 2 or 3 in the same time (mind you this is the same guy who was sat in the back of the car basecoating models on the way to Warhammer World one time*).

I've started some assembly on a Knight, as I've got 6 of them and we're looking at using them next year at our weekend of games:)

In related news it looks like GW/FW have messed up the Titanicus launch, I've had an email from Element apologising as they've been informed they'll only get a fraction of the stock they expected for the Grand Master Edition (they're offering me their Grand Master bundle at 30% off instead of the normal 20% off), and my brother has heard that at least one retailer is apparently getting no stock of it.

*Seriously he was sat with an addis box in his lap with about 30 infantry and his water pot, i think the paint pot was blu-tacked down.

Associate
Those look really good, you wouldn't think they'd only taken an hour or so each:)
I'm hoping when I get around to doing my next lot of Plaguebearers and Daemonettes I'll manage a similar time per model (from what I remember my last lot of daemonettes took longer for the minimal armour than everything else as they were largely washed).
One of my friends is a master of the fast paint, I've no idea how he does it, but he can turn out 20 or 30 models that look as good as/nearly as good as what I can do for 2 or 3 in the same time (mind you this is the same guy who was sat in the back of the car basecoating models on the way to Warhammer World one time*).

I've started some assembly on a Knight, as I've got 6 of them and we're looking at using them next year at our weekend of games:)

In related news it looks like GW/FW have messed up the Titanicus launch, I've had an email from Element apologising as they've been informed they'll only get a fraction of the stock they expected for the Grand Master Edition (they're offering me their Grand Master bundle at 30% off instead of the normal 20% off), and my brother has heard that at least one retailer is apparently getting no stock of it.

*Seriously he was sat with an addis box in his lap with about 30 infantry and his water pot, i think the paint pot was blu-tacked down.

I had the same email, Firestorm Cards still have stock apparently:

http://www.firestormcards.co.uk/Adeptus Titanicus(Adeptus Titanicus)

Associate
You sir are a star!
Thanks for the link, everywhere else we looked seemed to be sold out.

Ordered, and my brother is ordering as well.

No worries! I did exactly the same thing, ordered from them when I got the 'sorry we're not getting enough stock'. Element offered their bundle for a bit more money off, but I don't think it's like for like; I could be wrong but I think the bundle includes less scenery.

Soldato
@Pookie Bear bullied me into collecting Nighthaunt so I picked up these two guys at Warhammer World, wanted a quick and easy (but still effective looking) technique for painting them as I never get as much time to paint and want to finish an army.

Painted both the above in an hour (not counting drying time which would make it 2 hours) so 30mins a model for something which looks pretty good, I'm well happy! :)
Don't drag me into this! I didn't bully anyone!
And your paint time is horrifying. I'm miles ahead of you numbers-wise, but I figure you'll be done before me.

I'm quite happy with my Hallowed Knights though - progress is slow but steady and I'll get back into it now that I'm back from holiday. Will hopefully have my Evocators ready for the weekend, then it's Celestar Ballista time! Then I've got my frontline troops and bosses to do. Might get the bosses done first to maintain interest. And some Shadespire warbands. Oh, and I might try and finish my Ultramarines... and then I've got two Start Collecting 40ks I can't shift. I know this is normal, but it's still frustrating!

I've tried to avoid Kill Team and Titanicus - so I can at least get one army finished!

Soldato
Don't drag me into this! I didn't bully anyone!
And your paint time is horrifying. I'm miles ahead of you numbers-wise, but I figure you'll be done before me.

I'm quite happy with my Hallowed Knights though - progress is slow but steady and I'll get back into it now that I'm back from holiday. Will hopefully have my Evocators ready for the weekend, then it's Celestar Ballista time! Then I've got my frontline troops and bosses to do. Might get the bosses done first to maintain interest. And some Shadespire warbands. Oh, and I might try and finish my Ultramarines... and then I've got two Start Collecting 40ks I can't shift. I know this is normal, but it's still frustrating!

I've tried to avoid Kill Team and Titanicus - so I can at least get one army finished!

Just to rub it in I'm going to try and do 10 Chainrasps (or whatever they are called) in one sitting.

Soldato
Hi guys,

Warhammer newbie here, forgive the questions but I would really appreciate the answers!

I am going on a family holiday soon and my brothers want to paint some warhammer one day as something to do, I used to collect them, probably a bit over 20 years ago, so I have a very rough, but outdated idea.

I want to get a few Grey Knights, I think they look cool but...

1. Is GW own website the best to get them from, or are there any good third party sites that are cheaper?

2. Am I right in thinking basically none of the models are made of metal anymore? (they used to be lead when I collected them!)

3. Do you guys use 3rd party brushes, paints etc? If so, is the likes of ebay/amazon ok for that kinda stuff? And if so, can anyone in particular recommend some good 3rd party paints?

Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!

Soldato
Hi guys,

Warhammer newbie here, forgive the questions but I would really appreciate the answers!

I am going on a family holiday soon and my brothers want to paint some warhammer one day as something to do, I used to collect them, probably a bit over 20 years ago, so I have a very rough, but outdated idea.

I want to get a few Grey Knights, I think they look cool but...

1. Is GW own website the best to get them from, or are there any good third party sites that are cheaper?

2. Am I right in thinking basically none of the models are made of metal anymore? (they used to be lead when I collected them!)

3. Do you guys use 3rd party brushes, paints etc? If so, is the likes of ebay/amazon ok for that kinda stuff? And if so, can anyone in particular recommend some good 3rd party paints?

Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!

1) plenty of other good traders you can get stuff from, generally slightly cheaper.
2) everything is either resin or plastic, there are a few old school metal casts out there but they are really rare these days.
3) entirely up to personal preference. I tend to use army painter brushes and my paints are a mix of GW own and some P3 paints. Different people will recommend different stuff dependant on preference. I use P3 bases but then all my highlights, dry paints, washes and technical paints are all from GW.

Commissario
Re the metal stuff, AFIAK GW haven't made anything in metal* for ~5 years or so, so it would be quite unlikely many retailers will have them as new stock.

I would say try and avoid fine cast when you can, it was a miserable mess when they moved over to it** and I still don't trust it.

I normally use Element Games a lot, but after this weekends mess up I'm going to be a little reluctant to trust them on potentially limited orders, I also use https://lvlupgaming.co.uk/ who are far smaller and can be a little disorganised (although in fairness I suspect they don't get many people ordering similar things to the same address, with the same surname), but their CS is very good and apparently very friendly in person.

*Thank god they've moved to plastic for virtually anything new.

**The QC on it was appalling as they moved the metals over to a resin process and basically the moulds were never intended for resin.
FW resin stuff is fine (it has issues but FW had the experience and designed with it in mind), most of the early FineCast stuff really earned the nickname failcast as you could go into a store and end up looking through a dozen blisters to get the one that wasn't terribly cast (massive air bubbles, sprues merged into the head of models etc).

Soldato
I tend to use element or games workshop themselves as i dont particularly mind paying the premium.

eBay is always worth a look as well, you can find a lot of good stuff on there dirt cheap. It's especially good for people purchasing the boxed games and you can pick up the models for a much smaller price. Though if you are going after grey knights you probably wouldn't have as much luck on eBay.

Soldato
I tend to use element or games workshop themselves as i dont particularly mind paying the premium.

eBay is always worth a look as well, you can find a lot of good stuff on there dirt cheap. It's especially good for people purchasing the boxed games and you can pick up the models for a much smaller price. Though if you are going after grey knights you probably wouldn't have as much luck on eBay.

Thanks man, I will check out element games, I might actually visit the Games Workshop here after work also to pick up some paints.

I managed to get on ebay last night:

Grey Knights purgatron Squad (5 models)
Grey Knights Strike Squad (5 models)
and Grey Knights Deathwatch Captain (single guy, which I think might even be metal)

They are assembled but not painted.

and I got that lot for £39 which is a damn sight cheaper than new.

Soldato
@BUDFORCE good stuff, enjoy.

Random question for those who post in here but does anyone have a spares box and have a spare scythe that I can accquire off them? I want to do a modification on a model but don't want to buy a box set of something I don't want just to get a single scythe.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom