Open Vs Closed headphones - Beyerdynamic DT770 Vs DT990

Soldato
My headphones died so decided on the Beyerdynamic DT770 and DT990 both in 250 ohm flavours.

I know open Vs closed has many variables but was wondering what folks opinions are on these.

I've actually bought both and have them on trial this week. Both sets are leaps and bounds better than my old ones - not sure what make, noise cancelling ones with like a G on the side.

The 990s were first and put on a couple of tracks that I knew well and I could pick out parts to the songs I'd never noticed before. They sound much "wider" if that makes sense to closed back sets. I pretty much decided not to even get the 770s out.

However, I did and it made the decision much harder. Much more bass being closed but didn't have that open sound from the 990s - I've assumed the drivers are the same just the construction of each set.

These phones will really be 90% gaming and both sounded fantastic. I did notice, as you would expect, much more outside noise creeping in with the 990s. I'm going to test tomorrow night and put the TV on at a normal level and see how noticeable it is with both sets. Naturally the 990s will let in outside noise. Just whether it is noticeable enough to lean me towards the 770s. Having had closed for yeas, I think I maybe favour the 770s but the expansive nature of open, at the expense of a little bass has me thinking I'd been missing something from my listening experience not having tried open sets like the 990.

What are folks opinion on open Vs closed and indeed the 770 Vs 990?

Associate
Interested in your opinion of the 770's , just got the 880 600ohm's and was expecting some noise isolation since they are supposed to be semi closed , but compared to my HD 595's they are just as open (so presume the 990's are virtually see thru).
Although wish the 770's came with a brushed metal back instead of the black plastic .
Had the Sennheiser GSP600's (closed) for a few months but sold them as they where uncomfortable and sounded a bit too boomy compared to the 595's.
Using some Takstar pro 82's (closed) as Z Reviews said the where comfy and sounded good and they do sound better than the GSP600's and the noise isolation is very good .

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Interested in your opinion of the 770's

770s are probably more warmer than the 990s but that would be expected with the construction - the 990s can feel a bit "bright" and could easily be too "bright".

The 770s can offer the highs of the 990s but will provide a more meaty low. After a while I almost forgot which set I had on. At home, listening to music with little or no background noise then the 990s would be the winner. For gaming, I'm tempted to say the 770s. Little outside noise gets in which might be helpful if your gaming environment isn't a quiet area. And for gaming, I don't think you'd notice the constricted nature of the closed 770s. You would however, get more boomy 'splosions!

Soldato
However, I did and it made the decision much harder. Much more bass being closed but didn't have that open sound from the 990s - I've assumed the drivers are the same just the construction of each set.

These phones will really be 90% gaming and both sounded fantastic.
DT770 to 990 use same drivers.
Differences in sound are made by ear cup design and other tuning.

As you're going to mostly game you should test with binaural sound.
With cheap closed trinkets binaural sound doesn't feel any special.
But with good open headphones besides directionality there's also feel of distances.
In comparison cheap closed trinkets are like putting head into bucket under water.

For example first minute of this is excellent quick test for binaural sound stage:

Here's some more gameplay:
https://youtu.be/UE-NorSeH68?t=3m20s
https://youtu.be/B8xZp0WPwxs?t=19m50s

Interested in your opinion of the 770's , just got the 880 600ohm's and was expecting some noise isolation since they are supposed to be semi closed, but compared to my HD 595's they are just as open...
Semi-closed has only effect to sound.
For noise isolation there's no real difference.
Ear cup is basically either fully closed, or noise leaking.

Associate
Hi EddScott.

I am a bit of an audiophile and have had lots of headphones in the past, and in my arsenal are the DT990 (250 ohm Premium model) and the B&W P7 Wireless.

I've had the DT770 but it was a long time ago, but from what I remember of them, they are very bassy in a kind of bloated way, the overall sound signature is quite dark but they also have quite bright treble at the same time. They have a huge sound stage. They seem to perform at their best with movies, games and bass heavy music, such as rap, R&B etc.

The DT990 sound quite different to the DT770. They are still bright, but the mids are stronger and bass is much leaner. This gives them a detailed, fast, agile sound that is perfectly suited to electronica (which I listen to a lot of). They benefit from a mild boost to the bass which makes the sound perfect. With a little added bass these are some of the best headphones you can buy for the price and are my go-to when I really want the best.

Both require quite a bit of power to sound their best. I drive the DT990 with a NAD D3020, or you can use a dedicated headphone amp if you wish.

Depends what you want really, bassy sound, good for movies, games, isolation from surroundings, no brainer, DT770. If you want the best possible quality go for the DT990, and give them a bit bass boost, they just sound better in most respects.

Soldato
OP
Depends what you want really, bassy sound, good for movies, games, isolation from surroundings, no brainer, DT770. If you want the best possible quality go for the DT990, and give them a bit bass boost, they just sound better in most respects.

This is pretty much where I got too. I have the 990s in work waiting to go back.

Of the two, I may have preferred the 990s but as the primary use of these headphones is gaming and there may be outside noise to contend with - if one of the kids is watching TV (although this isn't often) the noise will encroach so I chose the 770s.

I'm almost tempted to keep both. Use the 990s when the house is quiet and 770s when it's not. :)

Associate
This is pretty much where I got too. I have the 990s in work waiting to go back.

Of the two, I may have preferred the 990s but as the primary use of these headphones is gaming and there may be outside noise to contend with - if one of the kids is watching TV (although this isn't often) the noise will encroach so I chose the 770s.

I'm almost tempted to keep both. Use the 990s when the house is quiet and 770s when it's not. :)

Yeah I thought you would come to that conclusion.

Unless you really think you would use the 990s I'd be tempted just to keep the 770 and bank the money, if I were you. :)

Back
Top Bottom