Summer Transfer Thread 2018

Soldato
Yerry Mina who has played 5 games for Barcelona is about to sign for the Ev for nearly 40 million after signing for Barca 7 months ago for 10 mil.

Just wow.

Soldato
English football is embarrassing.

It's getting stupid to be honest and Everton dont learn. Its like they saw United linked and though "oh he must be alright then". Im presuming they didnt scout him when he was playing in Brazil so have they bid based on what? 5 games at Barca, one where they conceded 4 and a world cup? Absolute madness.

Don
As much as I enjoy laughing at Everton, they're in a difficult position. They're trying to bridge the gap to the top 6 but know they can't compete head to head with them for signings so they're left in a position where they're having to wait and see who Utd, City, Liverpool etc go for and then pick up the best of what's left over and take calculated gambles.

I've not seen much of Mina outside the WC but clearly Barca saw something in him if they signed him in January and he's not gone from being potentially good enough for Barca to being useless in 7 months. The fee might be a lot but unless you're buying from a club that needs to sell and or you have a clear run at the player then you have a choice of paying the money, going without or signing an inferior player. It's a similar story with Richarlison. I'd have taken him at Liverpool, not for £40-50m but I think he's a very talented player that could become an extremely effective player in time. Having Salah, Mane and Firmino means we're in a position where we don't need to take and it's not smart to take gambles on players like Richarlison at that price though but what are the alternatives for Everton? They couldn't rival us when we went in for Fekir or City with Mahrez so they're left with a choice of signing a steady attacker for £25m that'll never bridge the gap between them and Arsenal or take a bit of a gamble on Richarlison who may end up being a 25 goal per season wide player in the next 18 months?

Soldato
Looks like Wolves are signing Dendoncker from Anderlecht, and talks ongoing with Zinchenko from Man City.

Supposed to be a third on the cards too. Hopefully a forward! Certainly been a good window for us Wolves fans though!

Soldato
Haven't followed your summer transfer progress but I'm guessing Cashley lied yet again about the amount of money available for transfers and you've ended up selling rather than buying?

Promised Benetiz 45 mill to spend, we've made about a 20mill profit on the window so far.

So cashley is net £65mill up on what he promised to spend on the team :p:rolleyes::p

Man of Honour
Mourinho ‘not confident’ of any signings today.

Press reporting he wants Boateng but the board want Maguire (and won’t pay what Leicester want).

Hoping for Boateng to be honest, if he’s fit he’d add some quality and experience to the defence. Not sold on Maguire, especially at £70-80m.

Soldato
Mourinho ‘not confident’ of any signings today.

Press reporting he wants Boateng but the board want Maguire (and won’t pay what Leicester want).

Hoping for Boateng to be honest, if he’s fit he’d add some quality and experience to the defence. Not sold on Maguire, especially at £70-80m.

Wouldn't touch Boateng with a bargepole even on loan
1) you included a huge "IF" he remains fit which is a dubious to start with
2) At the world cup he looked incredibly slow and cumbersome - it was only the WC but even so the EPL is far more frenetic than the BL and imo several years too late

Just looks even more likely to give away free kicks / pens than Jones or Smalling and that's saying something.

When someone agrees to buy a relatively untested gk for £70m , £80m for Maguire (who is English so would cost more anyway between English clubs, and has a few seasons of experience in the EPL) doesn't seem so bad in that context.

Still not really sure why Chelsea sold Courtois for so little, they could have kept RM talking for another couple of weeks as EPL teams can still sell until the end of Aug. 35m seems very cheap even for someone refusing to train / wanting out

All transfer costs a just numbers now anyway - completely stupid even given the huge sums coming into the game.

Man of Honour
Everything is around Man Utd at the moment.. like they are the only team in Europe. I'm still convinced that Mourinho buys on the back end of experimenting on Player Manager or top trump cards. Why not actually improve what you have rather than try and buy the PL like you have done most of your managerial career. .

Tottenham Hotspur defender Danny Rose is hoping to join Paris Saint-Germain rather than joining German club Schalke, according to The Sun.

Rose might find it heard to break through this term.. More of a squad player now.. I see Man Utd soon lost interest.

West Ham United are considering making a £7m bid for Tottenham Hotspur striker Fernando Llorente,

Another dead wood signing for Spurs.. I think this is why they have proceeded on the cautious side this window.. It's all very well buying players but not for the sake of it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom