Any benefit of having PS4 wired to 5Ghz AP?

Soldato
I'm currently running a Netgear D7000 and ideally would like to hardwire my PC and PS4 but can't see it happening until I have reason to lift the flooring. Do you think there would be any advantages of plugging my PS4 via ethernet into a small 5Ghz access point?
It seems very stable running off its built in 2.4Ghz card with no issues with gaming. I'm more leaning towards if I would see any benefits of download speeds for game updates etc?

My connection is with Zen and its sitting at 71/16 Just now if that makes any difference.

Soldato
So I've got a Google Mesh network, and had a similar predicament. Do I run wired to the AP, or just use wireless (so wired->wireless or wireless->wireless).

I didn't think there'd be much in it, but boy was I wrong. A difference of about 80Mb down (180 wired vs 97 wireless) and 5 ms latency. I guess the wireless on the Google APs is really good (between eachother at least). Still, considerably better than just the virgin SH3 which got me 11 down in the same location!

Soldato
OP
Wired over wireless any day

Not so much in terms of bandwidth (any decent AP should be good upto 300+Mb/s) but for stability

Believe me, If I could have wired tomorrow it would be done. It will get done one day but not any time soon.

So I've got a Google Mesh network, and had a similar predicament. Do I run wired to the AP, or just use wireless (so wired->wireless or wireless->wireless).

I didn't think there'd be much in it, but boy was I wrong. A difference of about 80Mb down (180 wired vs 97 wireless) and 5 ms latency. I guess the wireless on the Google APs is really good (between eachother at least). Still, considerably better than just the virgin SH3 which got me 11 down in the same location!

Interesting! So you have say for example a PS4 wired into a google AP which connects back to the main router via wireless?
I may explore this further then and buy an AC AP that plugs into the wall socket. I guess I could try it and see if I see any improvements.

Soldato
Believe me, If I could have wired tomorrow it would be done. It will get done one day but not any time soon.

Interesting! So you have say for example a PS4 wired into a google AP which connects back to the main router via wireless?
I may explore this further then and buy an AC AP that plugs into the wall socket. I guess I could try it and see if I see any improvements.

The Google WiFi kit is a mesh system, meaning the SH3, in my scenario, runs in modem mode, disabling its WiFi in the process. The mesh system it sets up seems to have a significantly better WiFi connection that your phone/laptop.

But yes, I have an Xbox one & PC connected to it. I've found it to be superior to a powerline kit, even. However I think this may be due to the old copper wiring in the property I'm in; it's quite a number of years old, and so with powerlines I get a max of 59Mb (with gigabit powerlines) and a bit of interference

I'd definitely look into it as an option in your scenario. It's not the only one, mind you. But I found it offered the best compromise between performance and hassle - 90% of the performance of say going ubiquiti and their APs, but then I set everything up within an app in 5 mins, and can use said app to manage all my network (active hours, port forwarding, IP address assigning and guest networks)

Soldato
OP
The Google WiFi kit is a mesh system, meaning the SH3, in my scenario, runs in modem mode, disabling its WiFi in the process. The mesh system it sets up seems to have a significantly better WiFi connection that your phone/laptop.

But yes, I have an Xbox one & PC connected to it. I've found it to be superior to a powerline kit, even. However I think this may be due to the old copper wiring in the property I'm in; it's quite a number of years old, and so with powerlines I get a max of 59Mb (with gigabit powerlines) and a bit of interference

I'd definitely look into it as an option in your scenario. It's not the only one, mind you. But I found it offered the best compromise between performance and hassle - 90% of the performance of say going ubiquiti and their APs, but then I set everything up within an app in 5 mins, and can use said app to manage all my network (active hours, port forwarding, IP address assigning and guest networks)

My current setup is a Zyxel 1312-B10A as a modem and just using my Netgear D7000 as a router just now. The D7000 keeps locking up every 20-30 days and started causing massive errors on my line when it did so moved the modem duties to the Zyxel.
I've tried powerline adapters (Solwise 1200AV2 units) a few years back and they crippled my line speeds from 76 down to 40 before I removed them. So don't want to go down that route again.

I was thinking on trying something along the lines of a Netgear EX6120 as it will only be used to link up my PS4 to the existing AC wireless network. My PC which is upstairs (D7000 router is downstairs) connects via an Asus PCE-AC68 card. It gets full signal and pretty much spot on pings and speed tests very consistently.

Edit to add:
As I know my D7000 is locking up every few days, Maybe it might be worth investing in a mesh network like Google WiFi when it finally has its last lockup.

Soldato
I've been pretty impressed with 5ghz. I was all set to pull up my skirting boards and run a cable for my Steam Link, but thought I'd try wifi first.

2.4ghz was cack, 200ms latency. Switched to 5ghz and I can play with ~20ms latency, nice smooth 1080p/60 with no drops.

Soldato
OP
I've been pretty impressed with 5ghz. I was all set to pull up my skirting boards and run a cable for my Steam Link, but thought I'd try wifi first.

2.4ghz was cack, 200ms latency. Switched to 5ghz and I can play with ~20ms latency, nice smooth 1080p/60 with no drops.

That's some difference that!!
No harm in trying it I guess. I've got old modem/routers laying around that are 5ghz capable. I could try one of them first I suppose and take it from there.

Soldato
OP
I think I may have had my terminology wrong. When I was speaking about an Access point, I didn't realise they had to be connected via LAN. What I would have been speaking about would be a WiFi extender.
Would an AC WiFi extender cause much issues with lag?
I've been looking at the ASUS website and would have probably bought something by now if their AC-88U and Lyra kit worked together. Not one or the other.

Soldato
OP
I've just found an Asus DSL-AC68U tucked away in a cupboard after the modem was causing issues.
I'll set this up tonight in bridge mode hopefully and see if it makes a difference.

Soldato
OP
Just a side note, I've been told by Asus that the AC88U and the Asus Lyra mesh system now work together so I'm looking into this route possibly.

Back
Top Bottom