iPhone DCIM Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don
Hi all,

This has happened as long as I can remember but does anyone know why a number of folders are created in the DCIM?

oWhVfzq.png

I copy pictures off my iPhone regularly and store them on my Laptop. I lose track of what has been moved off as I'm not copying them from one folder! It's really frustrating, I have scrutinised both 117APPLE and 118APPLE and can't work out why there isn't just one folder storing all the pics?

Thanks,

Soldato
Not a direct answer to you question but why not just let google photos manage it for you? If you want raw copy pay a couple of quid and store them as original. Then if you need a physical file for some reason just grab it from Google.

Can't remember the last time I plugged my iphone/ipad into my Mac.

Soldato
Not a direct answer to you question but why not just let google photos manage it for you? If you want raw copy pay a couple of quid and store them as original. Then if you need a physical file for some reason just grab it from Google.

Can't remember the last time I plugged my iphone/ipad into my Mac.

Or even better, Apple Photos, no need to feed the Google machine. 79p per month for 50GB. That way your photos will automatically sync with your iPad and Mac.

Don
OP
Thanks for the responses.

Cloud storage for photos is an option but then I’m extremely anal about folders and I have around 350gb with of pics. I have a pretty extensive backup solution at home too. Granted cloud storage would benefit but that much storage would be expensive.

The DCIM is my only bug bear as I have to cut all the pics rather than copying them off the phone.

Soldato
Thanks for the responses.

Cloud storage for photos is an option but then I’m extremely anal about folders and I have around 350gb with of pics. I have a pretty extensive backup solution at home too. Granted cloud storage would benefit but that much storage would be expensive.

The DCIM is my only bug bear as I have to cut all the pics rather than copying them off the phone.

Huh? Why not just copy off the phone.... ?

I think icloud 2tb is something like £7 a month so not to bad, could be wrong lol

Don
OP
Huh? Why not just copy off the phone.... ?

I think icloud 2tb is something like £7 a month so not to bad, could be wrong lol

I want to copy off the phone and move them into their appropriate folders on the laptop. I then do it again in a few months time but going back to loads of folders within DCIM and I have no idea what IO have copied etc, hard to explain.

Soldato
I want to copy off the phone and move them into their appropriate folders on the laptop. I then do it again in a few months time but going back to loads of folders within DCIM and I have no idea what IO have copied etc, hard to explain.

You sound old school picture horder lol - just do it via icloud and have peace of mind they are backed up in the cloud, if you want to copy the lot, do so and sort by date created.

Soldato
Yeah I am, you should see the amount of folders I have!

I am looking into 1TB of storage one Onedrive now, £6.99 seems fair p/m.

Huh ?? Why not go icloud at 2TB for the same price?! - Also microsoft are not the best at privacy at least apple is quite big on privacy - icloud 2tb is £6.99 / Month

I am a full time tog so know full well all about sorting and ordering pics - I just do it date wise, year, month, day number day name etc

But icloud does great for my phone stuff so just use that, trust me!

Don
OP
Huh ?? Why not go icloud at 2TB for the same price?! - Also microsoft are not the best at privacy at least apple is quite big on privacy - icloud 2tb is £6.99 / Month

I am a full time tog so know full well all about sorting and ordering pics - I just do it date wise, year, month, day number day name etc

But icloud does great for my phone stuff so just use that, trust me!

Good shout, you wouldn't think I worked in IT :D

Soldato
I recently upped my iCloud storage to 2Tb, it really is a case of just forgetting about it. It works!

Yeah thinking of doing the same and wacking my lightroom catalogues on it to be honest - nice to have a cloud of that other than the 'deep backup cloud' storage i have if that makes sense - (backblaze)

But cloud thats more readily accessible be nice - and when i switch from pc to my mac, it will be good to have the updated cat there just working

Soldato
How is iCloud for creating folders etc? That's why I liked onedrive! It was just like Windows folders.

Wow you are old school, yeah install icloud in windows.......and its just a normal directory like a normal windows folder and just create your folders as you want.

HOWEVER you are by the way being stubborn and far to old school - just let icloud that also installs with photos sort and store your iphone photos for you - it just works without being THAT old school - you really shouldn't use an iphone if your trying to resist the future - but anyhow, just take photos on your phone and forget about it - its stored in the cloud and it will auto download to your image folder in icloud on your windows pc - it just stores each picture in order by time and date and no need to seperate things out - your wasting your time unless your THAT bored.

ALSO do not delete images off icloud and put them somewhere else or even move from the photos to icloud drive, your ******* in the wind my friend cuz its the same place essentially but your just wasting your life sorting something thats already done.

Honestly, go out side and enjoy taking images, honestly apples icloud off your iphone just works no need to worry.

If you want to go crazy with backing up - simply clone your icloud/iphoto folder to another drive - no need to do any more.

Just reading how you do stuff stresses me out !!! haha

Don
OP
Crikey, calm down old boy. I manage a big team of engineers who support hosted platforms each day :p

I know the tech is there, I just have a pretty hefty setup at home with big enough storage so that I can do it all my way. I have a very particular set of folders for easy viewings, if I wanted pics of my eldest's birthday I know where to look. I get stressed out by people having NO organisation, just a folder of a million pictures copied off their phone ;)

Anyway, thanks for the help. I probably will go with the cloud solution mainly for the resilience and I can get rid of my NAS, the prices have certainly come down since I looked a couple of years back.

Soldato
Crikey, calm down old boy. I manage a big team of engineers who support hosted platforms each day :p

I know the tech is there, I just have a pretty hefty setup at home with big enough storage so that I can do it all my way. I have a very particular set of folders for easy viewings, if I wanted pics of my eldest's birthday I know where to look. I get stressed out by people having NO organisation, just a folder of a million pictures copied off their phone ;)

Anyway, thanks for the help. I probably will go with the cloud solution mainly for the resilience and I can get rid of my NAS, the prices have certainly come down since I looked a couple of years back.

Well it just seems your making your own life hard! :p

Yeah I also have a hefty setup - lime unraid job, 40tb etc.

Yeah you can just use icloud to tell it to search for whoever you want by face id on a particular date - iphoto keeps your photos sorted by date, AND location - you can even look at a map and see your photos for there ;) :p

Your dates, locations and who was there is already auto sorted, why do it again ;)

Soldato
@Andybtsn incase you're not clear use just use Icloud! I have Google photos on my Iphone as well - just put it outside of the normal screen you look at and they back up into your Google account free of charge without you doing a thing.

If its pictures of family better to have backup as well :)

Don
OP
@Andybtsn incase you're not clear use just use Icloud! I have Google photos on my Iphone as well - just put it outside of the normal screen you look at and they back up into your Google account free of charge without you doing a thing.

If its pictures of family better to have backup as well :)

:D I think it's a control thing with me, I like to be the one doing it all despite the time it may take me.

I'm getting there with this although trying to move all my data to the iCloud drive is proving difficult. Keeps telling me I don't have enough free space despite my clearing seeing i just have short of 2TB free! Left it over night and still the same issue. Both phone and the iCloud app storage says I have 2TB free so not sure why it's crying about me moving a 60gb folder to the drive in Windows.

zvI04Qr.png

HvFbcoH

Last edited:
Soldato
:D I think it's a control thing with me, I like to be the one doing it all despite the time it may take me.

I'm getting there with this although trying to move all my data to the iCloud drive is proving difficult. Keeps telling me I don't have enough free space despite my clearing seeing i just have short of 2TB free! Left it over night and still the same issue. Both phone and the iCloud app storage says I have 2TB free so not sure why it's crying about me moving a 60gb folder to the drive in Windows.

zvI04Qr.png

HvFbcoH

You're doing it wrong ;). You're copying into your local iCloud folder there, which exists on C: (probably) so you've no space. It's a folder like you said but it exists on the cloud and locally (if you've chosen to do so). Probably want to move your iCloud directory to the root of your photos?

The problem is, your old folder system has actually put you in a hard position to move to iCloud, upload wise. You might find it easier to upload via the browser, though I'd do it slowly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom