Wiring a PC Fan

Caporegime
I've ordered some high static pressure fans from a distributor and to my surprise, they came without a fan header and would therefore need to be connected manually, and perhaps soldered.

Where can i get this done? It is not something i feel comfortable doing myself and although i did try, i failed and it didn't work. I have 6 fans in total that need wiring, but I've got no idea of how i find someone, or a company to do it.

Appreciate any suggestions folks may have. :)

Ix3UAWI.jpg

Man of Honour
It should work with a normal fan plug as long as the wires are in the right places, diagram here. I think Sanyo Denki fans may be intended for industrial use although there is no obvious reason why they wouldn't work with a normal 3 pin plug on them.

Caporegime
OP
It should work with a normal fan plug as long as the wires are in the right places, diagram here. I think Sanyo Denki fans may be intended for industrial use although there is no obvious reason why they wouldn't work with a normal 3 pin plug on them.
I lack anything to solder them with, so would rather pay someone a few quid to do it for me. It's just finding a company or someone to do it.

Soldato
If you have needle nosed pliers, it's possible to crimp the pins, I've done it in the past. Pain in the backside though with 18 to do, but probably not worth shelling out £40+ for a half decent crimp. If using solder, but be careful not to foul the connector housing. A touch too much solder or a spike and it won't fit, it's really a case of less is more.

Hopefully there is someone on here that has the tool for the job and will help you out

Associate
For soldering work you would need to find an electronics repair shop, there's not that many of them left now but someone there may have some soldering experience.

Caporegime
OP
If you have needle nosed pliers, it's possible to crimp the pins, I've done it in the past. Pain in the backside though with 18 to do, but probably not worth shelling out £40+ for a half decent crimp. If using solder, but be careful not to foul the connector housing. A touch too much solder or a spike and it won't fit, it's really a case of less is more.

Hopefully there is someone on here that has the tool for the job and will help you out
For soldering work you would need to find an electronics repair shop, there's not that many of them left now but someone there may have some soldering experience.
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'm hoping a friendly soul at OcuK forums can help for a few quid, but if not i may have to look for an electronics shop in Norwich. God knows if ill find one mind. :D

Man of Honour
If they are the same as in your picture then they don't need soldering. The pins crimp onto the wires and are then pushed into the plug until they lock. You can get a half decent set of ratchet crimping pliers on Ebay for less than £15. The ones I use are similar to these.

Soldato
I'd offer to do it. I've terminals, connectors and all the soldering stuff you could shake a stick at. I am however a very long way from Norwich.

Caporegime
OP
I'd offer to do it. I've terminals, connectors and all the soldering stuff you could shake a stick at. I am however a very long way from Norwich.
Thanks bud.

I could ship them to you and arrange a collection of the fans once you are done? Don't mind giving you a few quid for doing it either. I'll just mess it up if i attempt it myself :p

Soldato
Just realised there was a Spoiler...... thought this more complicated to be honest.

In fact it looks really straightforward.

A little shortening of bared conductor to around 2.5mm. Using a set of pointy nose pliers to fold the crimp around the bare conductor. Then if desired a dab of solder on top and shove in the relevant hole. I've done this hundreds of times for all the little PWM converters I sold a few years back. I only once or twice ran too much solder which was fixed by heating back up and flicking it off.

Not sure how else it could be messed up really. If you did, for example mess up a terminal they are available in their dozens on ebay for £1. The connectors like wise.

Just thinking that the cost of shipment both ways is completely unnecessary here. Even the cheapest of the cheap soldering iron could cope with this.

If you want to give it a go I can help you with diagrams or whatever.

Associate
This of course assumes the wiring diagram is with the fans as to which wire is which and they are actually standard and as expected. PC PWM fans follow a standard, but are these standard fans?

Caporegime
OP
Just realised there was a Spoiler...... thought this more complicated to be honest.

In fact it looks really straightforward.

A little shortening of bared conductor to around 2.5mm. Using a set of pointy nose pliers to fold the crimp around the bare conductor. Then if desired a dab of solder on top and shove in the relevant hole. I've done this hundreds of times for all the little PWM converters I sold a few years back. I only once or twice ran too much solder which was fixed by heating back up and flicking it off.

Not sure how else it could be messed up really. If you did, for example mess up a terminal they are available in their dozens on ebay for £1. The connectors like wise.

Just thinking that the cost of shipment both ways is completely unnecessary here. Even the cheapest of the cheap soldering iron could cope with this.

If you want to give it a go I can help you with diagrams or whatever.

I didn't attempt a solder.

More than happy to ship and from you @Tealc if you can do it for me? I would rather do that than do it myself. :)

@PaulCa
I think they're standard fans, just with a slightly higher power draw (0.31a) than typical fans due to the higher rotational speed.

Soldato
Thats about 3.72 watts?
Is that a bit too high for direct mobo connection?How many you intending to connect to mobo?
Lastly, i assume they are to be connected to a motherboard?I ask as recently i swapped a fan in my new UPS as it was too loud Bog standard fan with a gfx type connector i had to mod ,anyway cables were standard colour but had to rearrange order to get them to work

Caporegime
OP
Thats about 3.72 watts?
Is that a bit too high for direct mobo connection?How many you intending to connect to mobo?
Lastly, i assume they are to be connected to a motherboard?I ask as recently i swapped a fan in my new UPS as it was too loud Bog standard fan with a gfx type connector i had to mod ,anyway cables were standard colour but had to rearrange order to get them to work
I have a 35W fan controller, they will not be connected to the motherboard.

I have 6x fans, 3 will be used in one system and 3 in another, both using the same fan controller. Should run them fine.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom