**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Soldato
I have a UV lamp do you think you could get away with fitting it without the jig?
You will need the jig for sure. The phone needs to be completely stable and on a level surface. The jig also helps align the glass to your phone - without it the chance for a mishap is high. The optical adhesive is poured straight onto the screen and it has a low viscosity so the stuff will flow quite easily. Watch a few videos to see what the process is like and you'll see why.

Soldato
Ok Whitestone vs Competitor Glass install day.

1. Hmm I ordered the Replacement Glass kit, yet UV Light and Installation jig is mentioned on the packaging?
xcCAUB3.jpg

2. Packaging was too thin (standard tempered glass pack size). I guess they're using a standard label across their two packaging SKU's. Note: There are no instructions as they assume you'll know how to install the glass given that you should already own the Jig and the UV lamp.
tj5vNn1.jpg

3. Competitor contents alongside the Whitestone Dome Replacement pack (Includes everything minus the UV lamp). Note the size of the competitor UV glue bottles vs the Whitestone ones, the latter being both taller and slightly larger in diameter.
BkUD0a0.jpg

I'll come out with the it - I never used the competitor's kit and I'll keep that spare if I am desperate.

1. The size of the competitor adhesive bottles vs the whitestone ones stopped me in my tracks. Since the bottles are black rather than transparent I have no idea of the volume of adhesive within. Hell they could be the same but I didn't want to mess around today as I needed to get this application done asap today.

2. Upon inspecting the competitor glass against the dome glass there is a difference and it is easy to see. The competitor glass has a marbled like finish (kinda like most tempered glass protectors) when held upto the light. The additional features of the competitor glass i.e 6x raised dots in each corner that the Dome glass has are all there and in the correct places.

3. 2x Absorbent Strips (seen in the final pic just poking out under the Dust Removal Stickers) are not present competitor kit. Are they needed though? I have seen a lot of YT videos not even utilising these or the speaker stickers.

Now that the Dome has been reinstalled I shall let it settle in a bit before fitting my UAG Plasma case back on and praying that it doesn't dislodge the glass as the Dome installation jig isn't very precise when it comes to locating glass to screen (it really needs revising).

Maybe in future when this existing Dome glass is damaged and I am less constrained by time I shall try this spare competitor pack that I do have!

Note the clarity of the glass against the bright light. No marbling effect present.
bOVVrVG.jpg

The Dome has none or very little oleophobic coating and thusly picks up fingerprints easily...
K8e1adq.jpg

Soldato
Ok guys, need some advice here.

Other half was after a new phone, was rushing too much to let me sort it so ordered an S8+. I noticed a couple of odd things and turns out shes ended up with an american one, an SM-G955U1. Now, is this an issue? Will there be anything that doesnt work? Anything likely to cause issues down the line? Its already got an annoying notifcation from the US carrier Sprint on startup. I dont really want to go messing with firmwares and stuff. Should I just send it back or is there an easy way to deal?

Thanks

Soldato
You'll potentially have no warranty on a US phone - the UK and EU variants get a 2 year warranty, but I'm not so sure on the US ones.

It might also not support all the 4G bands in use over here (I think that was why they had Snapdragon and Exynos variants) - but it's worth checking on that, I know it's the case with Chinese phones having variants with different frequency support but unsure how it works with Samsung.

Soldato
ok, as long as 4g works i think im ok with it. Warranty not too much of an issue becuase its already second hand and theres a sellers warranty, whatever thats worth :o

any ideas how i get rid of this Sprint OMADM check notification? Its unlocked but still has the remnants of the US mobile network.

Associate
Installed the latest update the other day (my s8 was bought sim free from John Lewis and is using a 3 sim), now on the 1st of August security patch.

Bit of a strange one, I am now getting "No data service: Temporarily not offered by the mobile network at your location" notifications constantly and (as you would expect) my data is not working. I am currently at Stansted Airport and its only started happening since I turned up, so hopefully it will clear itself when I reach my destination however its very annoying. Clearly there is mobile data service here, everyone is on their bloody phones. I'm pretty sure this must be to do with the latest update as it's never happened before.

Anyone else?

Soldato
My Oneplus 3 died last night. I've been scouting around for a phone to take me through the next 18 months or so (until I start thinking about buying something which is 5G compatible), for around £400. The OP6 is an obvious choice, but frankly the screen is unnecessarily large. I've had a play with the S8 and S9, and they feel so much nicer in the hand.

Is the S8 still worth buying, over a year after its release? My budget won't stretch to the S9. I'm not a massive power user (my only real game is Football Manager), but obviously like everything to work reasonably slickly.

Soldato
My Oneplus 3 died last night. I've been scouting around for a phone to take me through the next 18 months or so (until I start thinking about buying something which is 5G compatible), for around £400. The OP6 is an obvious choice, but frankly the screen is unnecessarily large. I've had a play with the S8 and S9, and they feel so much nicer in the hand.

Is the S8 still worth buying, over a year after its release? My budget won't stretch to the S9. I'm not a massive power user (my only real game is Football Manager), but obviously like everything to work reasonably slickly.

Did you find your OP3 too large?

Soldato
Ordered the S8, immediately regretted it (only because of "new shiny thing" syndrome, not because I think it's a bad phone!), went to my nearest O2 store and got the OP6. Very happy with it!

Caporegime
Been using the Google camera for a bit now, so much than the Samsung camera, more natural looking photos that haven't been over processed and over sharpened

Back
Top Bottom