VR... wait or invest now?

Soldato
I want to dabble in VR but I'm really undecided as I've never tried it. Are there any places I can demo the rift / vive /ps VR.

I have a PS4. Waiting for new NVIDIA seires then I will invest in a solid rig to power some VR goggles. Anything good on the horizon?

Is PSVR a decent representation of the tech?
Rift or Vive?
Are the graphics on VR as good as say pancake 1080p... or are they like pancake 480p?

Soldato
I've just got a oculus rift. Best money I've ever spent on tech. Me the the wife and my 10 year old love it. My wife hates me gaming and she's even got 2 I've her mates playing it.

Don't wait. I waited a year and missed out

Associate
Invest is probably the wrong term as whatever you buy will most likely be worthless in 5 years time as with most modern electronics. Think of it more as a ticket to a party :)

The PSVR is barely entry level imo, and the price scales up exponentially (capabilities less so) from the Windows Mixed Reality, through the Rift, Vive and Vive Pro. The Pro is the best you can get right now, but it comes at a steep premium. I'd look more at the Vive (which offers some upgrade options) or Rift unless you really can afford the Pro.

On the horizon is the Pimax 8K, but even though I'm a backer I'm not holding my breath - it'll probably only officially launch next year and it could be a pile of poo.

Soldato
OP
You guys are totally right. No tech is really an investment.

Hmmmm Vive vs Rift vs Samsung Odyssey is my burning question?
Has VR progressed yet to be more than a bunch of tech demos?

Last edited:
Permabanned
I'd wait, I bought Oculus Rift and although it was good the resolution was noticeable, to low to really be immersive and found it quite distracting, ended up selling it.

The Vive Pro should be better but it's very expensive.

Soldato
Vive pro, without having tried it and based just on the specs, seems to me like a marginal improvement for a definitely non-marginal premium.

If you're going to wait for reasons of resolution/FOV, I think waiting for a proper Vive/Rift successor in the next couple of years is the way to go. Pimax is another possible option too in the nearer future although the form factor is not exactly svelte... will be worth keeping an eye on.

Associate
As shocky-fm pointed out, whilst I think the Rift is awesome, some people can't get on with the resolution drop, and/or nausea. Definitely try before you buy for resolution, but make sure it's set up correctly as it's very sensitive to facial positioning.

For me, having used my Rift for a year now, I can't play flat screen games any more, even racing with triple screens seems dull in comparison. It is a personal opinion and choice though. You're going to have to decide if you can get over it's current shortcomings, main one being resolution.

Vive-pro not worth the extra though. Vive and Oculus Rift much of a muchness both have their slightly different issues, although Rift being slightly cheaper is probably the better deal with so little to choose between them.

Associate
Surprised to see a ‘few wait comments’ VR is amazing, I bought a Rift last year and up until the heat wave I have barely been off it, it’s the best price of technology I have ever owned, flat games are boring to me now, and the few flat games I do play (rust, no mans sky) I want to play them in VR.

PCVR is way to go, Rift, Vive or WMR

Soldato
I'd go rift over vive right now.

The Samsung is good, especially because you don't need to stick any sensors anywhere and you get 360 tracking as a result, but pays for that with controller tracking that relies on your hands being visible to the headset (which can be a major drawback at times)

Associate
Try before you buy. I really cannot stress that enough. Yes it has great immersion, but that slightly blurry look everything has puts some people right off.

Add the screen door effect and the constant moving it around to try and make it look a bit less crap and it's a recipe for frustration for some. (Me included).

YMMV as to what you can and can't ignore and that is a personal thing. Please try before you buy! It will either be the best thing you buy or 400 quids worth of plastic crap cluttering up your desk.

Associate
Ild say it`s important to consider what hardware you got to run everything and what your plans to uopgrade in the future. I have the Pro and Oculus and I could not tell you which I like better, Though I like the lenses in the oculus more, I like the resolution in the pro more and so on. Lesser speck hardware go Oculus, top of the line Buy a Pro.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, does anyone know where I can demo a Rift and a vive?

I think the price of the pro is too much... for that I can get a huge rig upgrade!

Soldato
I haven't tried the Samsung myself but I can't see the tracking being anywhere near as good as Rift/Vive which can cause nausea.
It's actually surprisingly good. It's crap in a dark room, but otherwise you'd struggle to notice a difference between it and the rift for tracking. It's the controller tracking that lets it down in the odd situation where you reach out for something while looking the other way (imagine doing a quest in Rec Room and reaching out behind you for a revive from your buddy while looking forwards at the enemy boys. That just doesn't work at all).

Soldato
Thanks guys, does anyone know where I can demo a Rift and a vive?

I think the price of the pro is too much... for that I can get a huge rig upgrade!

The pro isn't worth the price difference. I asked you already, but, maybe if you say where you are somebody on the forums with a Rift or Vive might live close to you and might give you a demo.

Back
Top Bottom