x58 replacement bundle?

Associate
I've not been a PC gamer for over a decade and built up an x58 system almost a year ago to do some gaming and home working (voiceXML coding for ACD/IVR) but I fancy upgrading.

I'm not really sure what best to do though. My current system plays all the games I throw at it fine, so my upgrade is more want the necessity, but would be nice to be able to run my SATA drives at full potential as well as my GPU. I cant really say the Xeon has not been up to par, but I have noticed on PUBE-G that in some map areas the hitching is pretty bad and FPS have dropped on Sanhok (pre latest update) to the 40's! I was led to believe an i7 8700k for example would yield far high minimum frame rates, so areas like this I'd still be over 60fps?

I've zero affinity to AMD or Intel, when I used to build and upgrade constantly back in the day I simply went with whichever was quickest/good VFM at the time.

My main criteria is gaming performance, work wise I'm not really concerned, as all I do is remote connect in to my rig at work to do my coding.

... so really just looking for upgrade advice and if there's a decent bundle. Don't want to go mental, looking around the £600-800 marker for just CPU, board and RAM. Don't think I need anything else, as I have a moderate GPU already, D14 Noctua cooler, x6 240GB SSDs, a decent 650w PSU and love my fractal case.

Soldato
Hi

a 2700x will definitely do everything you want.Not sure if you are running a lot of virtual machines and things like that in your line of work then maybe you might need more ram and cores.

AMD Ryzen 2700X

Asrock Taichi x470
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asro...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-167-ak.html

8 pack 2x8gb 3200mhz ram
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3200mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-08l-tg.html

those 3 work very well together,

if you want to save some money and dont mind the older X370 motherboard then this bundle from overclockers is excellent

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...-ram-free-480gb-ssd-bu-01g-am.html#p=bpRE2U:3

just make sure you buy it with the VERY least the Team Group 3200mhz ram, the link i given pre-configures it with that but just double check, you could go all the way and just add the 8 pack ram but that is £45 more on that bundle which i think might be worth it if you have spare money as its the best ram for ryzen right now. But also you could save over £100 and just buy the 3000mhz team group stuff. Its up to you.

there are a few ryzen 2700x and motherboards in the members market right now if you have access to that.

Last edited:
Associate
Just as food for thought, last November I upgraded from an X5670 @4.2Gb to an 8600 @4.6Gb and in 3DMark the CPU score is virtually identical, about 5-6% increase in performance. I was a bit gutted considering the outlay to be honest, wish I'd gone all in on the 8700.

My son is now using the old machine with a 980Ti and it breezes through everything he plays without skipping a beat.

Soldato
Just as food for thought, last November I upgraded from an X5670 @4.2Gb to an 8600 @4.6Gb and in 3DMark the CPU score is virtually identical, about 5-6% increase in performance. I was a bit gutted considering the outlay to be honest, wish I'd gone all in on the 8700.

My son is now using the old machine with a 980Ti and it breezes through everything he plays without skipping a beat.

I totally agree here, X58 system with a X5670 overclocked from 4.2 to 4.4Ghz will also be a great system. If you have not done so yet this might be first thing you should try. They are about £20-£30 on ebay and worth the money. This effectively gives you a 6core cpu. Paired even with 1080TI the system is still fine. Granted the new AMD stuff is better, it might be worth doing the upgrade and experiencing first hand whether you need more grunt and then get a new system. This could help you wait until the 7nm AMD chips that will come out early next year some time and for £20 you just cant go wrong.

EDIT

just saw your signature, forget this post please.

Associate
I posted what I did because I saw his sig :)

I can run 3dMark on both machines tonight and post links if you want? Obviously the 1080ti I have will trounce the old 980Ti but you will see CPU performance comparison...

Associate
OP
Thanks chaps, the 2700x looks like a beast to be honest and is really well priced compared to Intel. With regards VM's, I don't use them for work, I just remote on to my desktop which is pretty powerful, so 16GB RAM is more than enough and 6/8 cores also plenty. It's basically being upgraded for gaming.

Interesting that the 3d mark scores are similar to an 8700... not sure how that translates in gaming though, as multi threaded/core CPU's don't appear to be any real benefit? It's more the minimum frames I'm after improving as at the top end I'm GPU bound anyway, plus I fancy messing about again overclocking and building if I'm completely honest! lol

Like the look of these bundles, shame the cpu coolers can't be removed though...

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/defc....80ghz-overclocked-bundle-bu-0a8-og.html#t=a1

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/8pac...15ghz-overclocked-ryzen-bundle-bu-00g-8p.html

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Bundle looks okay but been reading up on the threads here and that 4.35ghz boost seems as though it only works on the x470 boards and these Ryzen chips don't clock well?

Feeling like Intel might be the best option as this is going to primarily be a gaming PC for 1080p with high fps.

Soldato
Bundle looks okay but been reading up on the threads here and that 4.35ghz boost seems as though it only works on the x470 boards and these Ryzen chips don't clock well?

Feeling like Intel might be the best option as this is going to primarily be a gaming PC for 1080p with high fps.

if you want to go intel, then wait a little while longer for the 9900k that is about to be released. See what the price is on that.

Associate
OP
Well that could be an interesting prospect... guess I'll just wait it out a bit as it's not as if my x58 rig with 1070ti struggles with anything really. I can handle the odd moment on pube with FPS hitching as it's less than it used to be.

Back
Top Bottom