• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Threadripper on Zen+ 32 Cores - Launching Q3 2018

Soldato
That gigabyte looks VERY nice!

Gaming 7 made my eyes hurt . when your about to clock off work and boss wants the finished design but you havent started and have 10 mins left to spare... haha

nod to asus zenith for IR design- but thinking the extra cooling kit will hurt potential new sales - could have easily rolled out a Zenith Formula board to phase out the Zenith version and get some hype etc

MSI turns most heads as their board has had the most extensive upgrade

looks like Rear plate acts as a giant cooler...

https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/Global/KeyFeature/980/images/X399.mp4

Soldato
Gaming 7 made my eyes hurt . when your about to clock off work and boss wants the finished design but you havent started and have 10 mins left to spare... haha

nod to asus zenith for IR design- but thinking the extra cooling kit will hurt potential new sales - could have easily rolled out a Zenith Formula board to phase out the Zenith version and get some hype etc

MSI turns most heads as their board has had the most extensive upgrade

Stupid lights aside I think it looks decent. Nice beefy vrm cooling. :)
Tons of decent other things on there too like a DAC etc

Soldato
I'm sure at a hardware level the MSI MEG will be the best beast for the 2990WX, but my god does it look ugly. Did somebody drop an angle grinder on the board armour they copied from the Aorus?

But hot damn does that Aorus look good, finally a board in that range which isn't visually repugnant.

Soldato
Yup, 2950x looks like the real sweet spot.

I mainly game, but some times I have heavy VM duties for work (technical PoCs) that my Surface clearly can't handle, so this would be nice to fall back on to for those short periods.

Know nothing about this platform so mobo and ram recommendations welcome.

I have a sound blaster ae-5, so would like a mobo that focuses elsewhere as won't need any onboard sound.

Also what RAM kits?

You'll get the full 60 lanes so you'll be able to use lots of drives, cards, etc without any bandwidth issues.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I've just bought an Oculus Rift to do some gaming on my 2990WX rig.

Is anyone triggered?

Associate
Not sure if Threadripper is the best you can get for VR right now, on an R7 1700 at 3.8Ghz with a Rift when I look at Frametiming in SteamVR it's always the CPU that's lagging behind and this is with an overclocked GTX970. VR needs single core performance.
But if you have other workloads that can stress the many threads and VR is more of an afterthought, then it probably won't be a bad buy.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

But if you have other workloads that can stress the many threads and VR is more of an afterthought, then it probably won't be a bad buy.

Well, I'm starting a PhD in 'Virtual Reality - Integrated Delivery of Education' in October, so I thought I'd best get a VR headset! I have Samsung Gear already but that's not ideal, but I'll probably grab an Oculus Go as well as schools/colleges/universities will probably be attracted to the Go's lower TCO.

As I'll be developing and building VR apps, the system will get plenty of opportunities to stretch it's legs beyond VR content consumption ;)

Associate
That's good then, you can just increase the resolution scale in SteamVR (or with the Oculus Tray Tool) to put more stress on the GPU if you check your frametimes and the CPU is getting hit disproportionately. Weirdly enough I get better frametimes when I increase the scaling than when I decrease it (120% for whatever reason rarely goes into reprojection, 80% does).

Associate
For those using air coolers, I queried with Noctua if the NH-U14S TR4-SP3 is rated for use with the 2990WX - they have stated 'it handles this CPU just fine'.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
For those using air coolers, I queried with Noctua if the NH-U14S TR4-SP3 is rated for use with the 2990WX - they have stated 'it handles this CPU just fine'.
It should do seeing as it copes ok with 1920/1950x cpus when overclocked which pull very similar amounts of power to a stock 2990WX. I know my 1920x pulls around 240W when overclocked to 4GHz on all cores at 1.325V. I have my doubts about them coping quite so well with over 300W.

As to gaming performance, I've not found anything that doesn't run well enough on mine. The only oddity I ever found was in 3dmark firestrike where the combined score would be absolutely awful, so bad in fact that it would pull the overall score down further than running the cpu in gaming mode and taking the hit in the physics test. Weirdly, the 1900x and 1950x do not suffer this issue.

In all other benchmarks and everyday games, it's been great.

Soldato

I doubt the NH-U14S TR4-SP3 will handle the 2990WX. I bet it wont be able to handle the 2950X with it's higher clocks.
As I do not see the purpose of buying a £1700 CPU or even a £800 and not going to watercooling.

There is the BEST alternative of custom watercooling performance, ability to expand and dead easy installation, with better performance than AIO.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £184.90 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Having changed my Predator 360 to Z370I monoblock and Bysksi GPU block, still using the QDC, I can tell you is very easy to swap things without the need to drain loops, etc.
While the performance of the full custom loop is there.​

Back
Top Bottom