• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Threadripper on Zen+ 32 Cores - Launching Q3 2018

Associate
Well, the response I got back from Noctua stated it could and they would be updating the various details in the future.

If the cpu performs as expected on air it will do for me....

Not really sure what you mean by going to watercooling on a £800+ cpu, depends on what you prefer, and I guess if you overclock. Don't get me wrong some of the custom WC are superb and look/perform great, as some AIO's.

I have the Noctua cooler already and it does the job perfectly.

Soldato
I use the NH-U14S on the 1950X. Works well with that at least and seemed to be as good as some of the AIO watercoolers tested in a few of the reviews I saw when buying
Am tempted to upgrade but haven't considered the cooling side of things. Definitely have no interest in custom water cooling.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lots of surface area and all of it on the other side of a brick wall is quite a luxury choice.

Should be interesting to see what regular cooling works out.

By not focusing the heat into one spot it should need less cooling to keep the cpu temperature down than a monolithic chip using the same power.

Soldato
Awesome :). Not sure it'll look good in my study and run 24/7 :p.
That's why I prefer air too. The last time I used an AIO I found it a bit noisy for 24/7 use, although it was some years ago now, maybe 2009-ish.

Yea, it's an opportunist loop. I have no idea what it looks like, sounds like or feels like as it's in my garage which is adjacent to my office. It's the perfect system as there's no noise or heat... and I'm glad I don't need to look at it. :D

Soldato
Just noticed new bios out for the Asus X399-A :).
PRIME X399-A BIOS 0807
Update AGESA 1.1.0.1 Patch A to support AMD 2nd Gen Ryzen™ Threadripper™ processors

Soldato
Nothing but good news when the chip designers decide to get in on helping consumers overclock in a non-oppressive way.

You can take it or leave it but it works pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom