Would you allow social media sites to know your banking details?

Associate
They don't allow your legally wedded wife to call your bank and view account or alter any thing even in an emergency, unless she holds your death certificate, but they will allow facebook?

Soldato
Surprised to see people finally and unanimously don't trust Facebook. Sadly it's a bit late now they've collected and mined all the data that can possibly be mined. Banking info is just the final straw because there's nothing else left to milk, EPSIS are complete. The billions generated from all the information are now sitting in some back pockets, mining is not giving any new info and the money can't milked forever; the teats eventually run dry. If they could have established a reason to harvest banking information from day 1 I'm sure they would have.

Soldato
Open banking has been here for a while. The chaps at Money Dashboard are doing good things with it, but they're quite open about the value being the accumulated user data. I imagine Facebook want it for the same reasons. 250 million people already use Apple Pay, so I'm sure there'll be plenty of Facebook's 2 billion + users who'll be willing to share if they feel that there's something in it for them.

Are 250M actually using apple pay, or have installed the app?
Seems a remarkably high amount.
How many iPhone are being used currently worldwide?
Seem a very high uptake amount.

Soldato
I noticed when I went to China, one of the popular social media platforms (WeChat) has a similar payment system and was everywhere. It has become fairly ubiquitous over there, you could go to a small noodle stand and use it. Sounds like Facebook is trying to copy it but I would never trust them to hold my name and address let alone my banking information.

Was going to post similar, I'm just back from working there for a few weeks... I was surprised as to the extent of this. Downside for me, paying by cash meant nobody had any change most of the time which never worked out in my favour :p

Associate
I am not even on Facebook, or Twitter, or Instagram, or Snap Chat, or WhatsApp, for all the reasons above. When Facebook was originally just a way of connecting friends, and just a way of connecting Friends, I loved it, but it has evolved into something completely different to that - so no thanks.

Back
Top Bottom