• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Do you think AMD will be able to compete with Nvidia again during the next few years?

Do you think AMD will be able to compete with Nvidia again during the next few years?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Permabanned
The 1080ti is 25% than a Vega LIQUID, where is AMD even competing?

How about another recent game like Yakuz 0? The 1070 is beating Vega 64! Where is AMD even competing?

This game is obviously not working correctly with the Radeons, and all of them. Investigation for the cause is needed.

The problem with AMD's hardware in general seem to be always the case of being "ahead of their time", with the benefits coming so late that it no longer relevance to sales with the products already EOL for years.

Remember we all gone for Intel quad-core/i5 over CPUs like the FX8350 because most game engines don't make use of the extra cores, and the core i CPU has much higher IPC and overclock like beast? Fast forward to today, with the upcoming games like the PC version of the Monster Hunter World that is hinted to be extremely CPU taxing and will use full extent of the 8 cores, the FX8350 may actually wipe the floor with same gen Intel quad-cores like the i5 2000~ i5 4000 K-series.

This is good practice because there are millions of users who upgrade as rarely as 10 years or more.
If AMD can start convincing these people that AMD is the smarter choice, both sides will benefit a lot.

Better than buying a currently fast dual core Intel that beats something AMD now, but will be obsolete in one year.

This is why it is really stupid to prefer i7 8700 over Ryzen 1700/2700.

Soldato
The problem with AMD's hardware in general seem to be always the case of being "ahead of their time", with the benefits coming so late that it no longer relevance to sales with the products already EOL for years.

It depends to the end consumer. Have you seen all those R9 290X (non reference) owners how happy still are?
Their card is 5 years old now, still going strong on the upper mid range segment even on games where newer cards are suffering.
It even supports APIs that didn't existed, like DX12 and hardware async compute, while it's way more expensive direct competitors of 2013, the GTX780Ti/TitanX, have gone the way of the dodo...

And I wouldn't be surprised if AMD came out with drives making it supporting real time ray tracing
Since RadeonRays exists since Hawaii came out on the professional cards 5 years ago.

Cannot see how this is bad.

Permabanned
I noticed a significant change in desktop picture quality when i had to switch to Intel HD graphics from dedicated. I've decided to do a short analysis of how different graphic accelerators present images in desktop, movies and gaming. Keep in mind that am using the latest software for all graphic media accelerators.

I never thought my movies look dull on my GeForce cards until i compared the picture to Intel HD. Despite the fact that blacks look better on Intel HD, there is a bit too much redness in it. So for movies (h.264 codec) you have to do the opposite - lower the gamma in NVIDIA options to aproximately. 0.75 to match Intel default picture quality, although it does not exactly become ''the same''.

Compared to Intel, Radeon provides about the same contrast and depth, but the colors look more accurate, not so redish. Compared to GeForce, Radeon view looks just better.

Compared to Intel HD, GeForce monochrome picture has more blue tone (you need a very keen eye for that), and the picture just looks a bit more grainy/noisy.

In this technicolor classic, the dull contrast on behalf on GeForce is super evident, and Radeon. having non of that also manages to surpass color tones of Intel HD.

The difference between Intel and Radeon picture quality when it comes to red color over-saturation is not evident in pictures like these, but still the Radeon picture feels more warm.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...-intel-iris-pro-vs-radeon-and-geforce.241609/

Permabanned
Yeah, I'm still looking forward to TrueAudio taking off!

Ooh! Is that still a thing? Can't wait. :D

Better than buying a currently fast dual core Intel that beats something AMD now, but will be obsolete in one year.

This is why it is really stupid to prefer i7 8700 over Ryzen 1700/2700.

Do you mean non K's if so I agree but that's because the Ryzens all have the overclock potential, Then again they don't really overclock much anyway. I can't see anything wrong with preferring an 8700k over a 2700x, Even over the long term I see the 8700k being the better option for gamers when it comes down to pure fps. Maybe not for streamers but lets be honest how many of us really stream?

Soldato
Do you mean non K's if so I agree but that's because the Ryzens all have the overclock potential, Then again they don't really overclock much anyway. I can't see anything wrong with preferring an 8700k over a 2700x, Even over the long term I see the 8700k being the better option for gamers when it comes down to pure fps. Maybe not for streamers but lets be honest how many of us really stream?

I just went with a 2700x over the 8700k. My main reason was the am4 platform itself. If i need a new cpu i should in theory be able to drop in a zen 2 possibly 3 as they should be compatible. At 4k both cpu's perform the same any how and the extra 2 cores could help with other things. Still the 8700k is still the best gaming cpu when all resolutions are considered.

Permabanned
I just went with a 2700x over the 8700k. My main reason was the am4 platform itself. If i need a new cpu i should in theory be able to drop in a zen 2 possibly 3 as they should be compatible. At 4k both cpu's perform the same any how and the extra 2 cores could help with other things. Still the 8700k is still the best gaming cpu when all resolutions are considered.

I went with Zen as well, My only regret is that I bought a B350 M-ATX motherboard and I've since moved back into my bigger case, Everything's running okay though, except the ram which ran at 3200 with my old 1600x but only 3000 with my 2700x. I'm tempted to buy an ATX board but I'm in no rush, If I can hang on until the next platform even better.

Soldato
I went with Zen as well, My only regret is that I bought a B350 M-ATX motherboard and I've since moved back into my bigger case, Everything's running okay though, except the ram which ran at 3200 with my old 1600x but only 3000 with my 2700x. I'm tempted to buy an ATX board but I'm in no rush, If I can hang on until the next platform even better.

I went with the x470 Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero so hopefully all should run well and be good for the future Zen chips.

Last edited:
Soldato

While this is true for the Vega 20, the V340 with the dual Vega 64 on it, is still the great unknown :/

Associate

I went ryzen 2700x over the 8700k as well, because amd will support am4 until 2020.

Plus it takes a 8700k to be overclocked over 5ghz to get the same performance of a 2700x at stock clocks in r15 cinebench.

Soldato
I went ryzen 2700x over the 8700k as well, because amd will support am4 until 2020.

Plus it takes a 8700k to be overclocked over 5ghz to get the same performance of a 2700x at stock clocks in r15 cinebench.

People play Cinebench? I'm not sure many would overly care about a synthetic benchmark tool.

Im just confused, graphics forum, topic about AMD and Nvidia yet we are now discussing cpus in a graphic thread and talking about Cinebench. Not sure what that's got to do with AMD competing again in the graphic space.

Last edited:
Associate
Has Nvidia's latest pricing given AMD an opportunity to undercut them significantly.

Previously, Vega 20 would have looked incredibly expensive for the gamer market but is that still the case?

Could AMD reconsider a 7nm Vega for gamers and beat team green's prices too?

Caporegime
Has Nvidia's latest pricing given AMD an opportunity to undercut them significantly.

Previously, Vega 20 would have looked incredibly expensive for the gamer market but is that still the case?

Could AMD reconsider a 7nm Vega for gamers and beat team green's prices too?

vega20 will be much more expensive than Turing and will still lag behind in games. Volume delivery of Vega20 wont happen until Q1 next year at the earliest anyway.

Back
Top Bottom