Vegas hotel recommendations?

Soldato
Having stayed at half a dozen or so I'd have to recommend the Aria - great location and the suites are amazing!

We had a corner suite when some plum in the suite above decided to leave the tap running in their bath and it made a small damp patch in our ceiling (we didnt complain, just told someone about it in case it was an issue!) - next thing we know they have upgraded us to a Sky Suite which was mahooosive! :D

Associate
It's been said before but you cannot go to the real Grand Canyon by helicopter from Vegas, they go to what they call the "west rim" which is actually the west canyon but inside the GC national park, if you don't go to the South (or North but that's not practical) then it's not the real GC

This

I've stayed in the Aria and Cosmopolitan. I found the Aria to be nicer but that's just personal preference. The Wynn is excellent, i liked their buffet more than the others. Rather than messing around with taxis and stuff if you already have a vehicle or want to go to the grand canyon i highly suggest renting one for a few days and driving to Fremont street, outlet malls and the South rim of the grand canyon. It is around a 4 hour drive but it is significantly better and costs only around $30 per vehicle to get in.

Soldato
This

I've stayed in the Aria and Cosmopolitan. I found the Aria to be nicer but that's just personal preference. The Wynn is excellent, i liked their buffet more than the others. Rather than messing around with taxis and stuff if you already have a vehicle or want to go to the grand canyon i highly suggest renting one for a few days and driving to Fremont street, outlet malls and the South rim of the grand canyon. It is around a 4 hour drive but it is significantly better and costs only around $30 per vehicle to get in.

Red Rock Canyon is well worth a few hours of your time if you have a car, its about 20-30 mins from the strip, $10 entry. As is the Valley of Fire which is a bit further away. The last time I went we drove down to the Hoover Dam, did various bits round there, we then drove round Lake Mead and up to the Valley of Fire. Lake Mead and Valley of Fire both have toll entrances (about $30 total) but they are well worth it, the geography is breath taking and well maintained pancake flat roads which were a joy to drive. We saw wild horses galloping across the plains, the views were simply spectacular.

Death Valley is amazing and a good alternative that is much closer than the Grand Canyon.

Pro tip: If you do go to the parks outside Vegas, there are lots of 'facilities' but only the visitors centre has running water and proper toilets. Outside of there its a hole in the ground inside a metal hut, you have been warned.

Pro tip 2: North premium outlets shops are better than South IMO.

Soldato
What is the accommodation like now? Back when it was the Imperial Palace it was known to be the worst property on the strip owned by Harrah's/Caesars...
Awful. I stayed there as I messed up my booking at the encore and had to find a room for the night. Sticky carpets, large "vegas" drinks with straws with every hen party under the sun in there. I didn't like it at all.

Wynn breakfast and buffet is the best on the strip.
Quoted for truth. We did the bottomless mimosas too, which ended up as just fizz, we were there for 5 hours lol

Encore is awesome. The brunch is excellent. You could spend a week in encore / wynn without leaving and never be bored.
Pool parties are fantastic but don't swallow any water. No one uses the toilets and drink all day. Go figure :p
Honestly, I love it. Go to the country club, chill out hungover overlooking the golf course and have a "the dream" cocktail (if you don't mind spending $22 on a drink :D ) it's a delight.
I had the most random night at the pool party when there solo for a conference, got invited back to a cabana by a gay guy (ooo err) which happened to be full of adult entertainment ladies. Only in vegas. What a night.

Man of Honour
We did the MGM Signature Suites last time. Nice enough. Spent a few days there so a big room like that did nicely.
But, we'd recommend staying somewhere more central on the strip as it's bit of an amble to anywhere else. Caesars Palace or Planet Hollywood maybe.

Soldato
I get the feeling @dowie and @D.P. might go to the same conference as me in april :o

And yeah. Cabs will rip you off. If they avoid the strio due to "traffic" they're pulling a fast one, or so I'm told...

Also, got taken to Yardbird at the Venetian last year. Pretty damn amazing fried chicken.

Associate
Been to Vegas loads. My favourite hotel was Newyork Newyork and my least favourite was Bellagios and somewhere in between was Flamingo. I love the theme hotels, for me that is part of the charm of Vegas, yes they are a bit dated but nothing of concern.

Really have a think about what you will be doing. If you will be lounging in your room all day then go top dollar at Aria, Wynn etc. If you are going to be out and about daily then choose a central strip hotel, the cheapest that comes up. In my experience they all offer a clean, good sized room.

If your gambling stick to the hotel you are in player card which usually covers other group hotels and ask for comps at checkout or periodically. Last time between our group we had refunded nights accomodation, resort fees waived and buffet / dining vouchers comped for our plays.

Soldato
We stayed in the palms when we went...its off the strip but an uber costs next to nothing to get down there, or you can walk down, but its not the most scenic of walks and there are a lot of homeless people around the back of caesars palace, which walking back at night, is not the best experience, so we used to walk down there and then get an uber back :)

Soldato
I am thinking about making a trip to Vegas in the middle of November and I am looking for a decent hotel for a decent price? Some of the ones mentioned in here seem to be rather high end.
They’re cheaper than you think. Not to be blunt but Vegas is hardly the place to go to penny pinch. And yes I can talk because I’ve only ever been there for business. I just wouldn’t go on my own dollar to be honest. That said at work people think me and my boss are swish for staying in the MAndarin, but at the end of the day it’s about the same price as the others. Just offers a different vibe.

Associate
Stayed in two.

Hilton Elera - Decent hotel, no resort fees, free self park off the back of the mall.
Paris - Nice hotel, resort fees on top.

Both are central. All you can eat breakfast at Paris in the little villagey bit is great :D

We also stayed at the Hilton Elara.

Attached to the miracle mile and good if you want a bit of quiet.

Caporegime
I am thinking about making a trip to Vegas in the middle of November and I am looking for a decent hotel for a decent price? Some of the ones mentioned in here seem to be rather high end.

What do you mean by a decent price?

you could try Hotwire.com there are websites out there that will reveal which hotels are which etc.. based on the description

Soldato
The Monté carlo was brilliant when i stayed their last.. they have a monorail link with the crystals shopping centre and the bellagio, the pools are great, food court is incredible and the shows are amazing.. really one of the best if not THE best hotel i have ever stayed in.

Soldato
So from this thread pretty much every hotel on the strip has been recommend at various price points bar hooters and circus circus...

What you can glean from this is that they are probably all fine but ultimately get what you pay for....

EDIT: just pick what you like the look of at a price you can afford.

Soldato
Stayed at the Riviera when I went in 2008. Was interesting due to the history of the place, and it had just had a major refurb. Since closed, however.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the big names on the strip. Standards are high due to all the competition.

Try to pick one near the middle, and above all have a great time.

Man of Honour
I stayed at the Venetian which was amazing. Definitely glitzy if not a bit silly. I don’t think any other hotel on the strip I went in felt as ‘nice’ as the Venetian.

The best location is definitely the Bellagio and the surrounding hotels.

Back
Top Bottom