Building from scratch - WoW and OBS/Twitch

Associate
Morning all

Looking to build a new PC for WoW and OBS/Twitch Streaming. I'm a developer, so probably end up running some Docker images, SQL Server Express etc. Not interested in overclocking nor am I looking for a lot of fancy lights. I'd prefer a small sized case running very quietly. Cost isn't a massive issue, but I don't want to waste money either.

I have a couple of 4k monitors, but will play WoW on a 1440p monitor probably.

Have spent a few days looking around and have ended up being even more confused than I was before!

1) I will be using a Fury X for now, until nvidia sort their new releases out, then I'll decide what to do. Currently expecting to use a 1070 Ti. But not sure if I'd be better going for a 1080. What are they like noise wise? Heat? Benefit in OBS?

2) i7 8700K for £310 or i5 8600K for £220. The i5 is quite a bit cheaper obviously, I think it's probably good enough for WoW, but maybe not with the overhead of OBS.

3) 16GB for £200 or 32GB for £400. Again, I think 16GB would be sufficient, and I could add 16GB later if required.

4) PSU. Seems that a 500W vs 1200W, price differences aren't massive. And as long as I go for Platinum, the efficiency on a 1200W PSU isn't miles away running at 40% capacity. Any other downsides to 1200W? Size (see point 6)? Heat? Noise? Cost?

5) Case. I have no idea what to do here. I would prefer smaller. Micro ATX sized. Would rather not have a window as it'll just bleed LED/RGB light out. And almost silent is important to me.

5a) I'm more than willing to upgrade case fans to get better airflow/silence. Any recommendations?

6) CPU Cooling. Should I go for AIO or Air? Which is better? Which is quieter? If I go for a smaller case, would most of them take a 240mm AIO setup?

7) GPU Cooling. Is stock cooling enough on a 1070 Ti? 1080? Noise wise? Would I be better going for an EK setup with CPU/GPU cooling rig?

8) Motherboard. Not interested in overclocking. I'll probably have a couple of 2.5" SSDs only. 2-4 sticks of RAM. One GPU. Fairly basic requirements really. No idea where to start here!

Thanks in advance. Some guidance would be most welcome!

Stew

Associate
OP
Ryzen would surely be a better option for OBS and streaming if you aren't planning on using a 2nd PC to stream?

Possibly! I don't know really. Bit of a novice with PCs. I believe WoW prefers higher speed cores rather than multiple slower cores.

For now, it'd need to be a single machine. My Surface Book 2 handles it OK (doing both), but wanting a desktop PC.

Soldato
I'm no expert, but I've researched my own very recent new build, and Ryzen wipes the floor with intel on streaming. Yes you'll get less frames, but almost all of them (assuming a decent ryzen) will get encoded, whereas whilst you might get a few more frames with the intel, they won't actually get to your viewers.

What's your surface book? If that does what you need, then you know what is good enough :D.

EDIT - 8700k is probably enough to do both with ease anyway.

Associate
OP
I'm no expert, but I've researched my own very recent new build, and Ryzen wipes the floor with intel on streaming. Yes you'll get less frames, but almost all of them (assuming a decent ryzen) will get encoded, whereas whilst you might get a few more frames with the intel, they won't actually get to your viewers.

What's your surface book? If that does what you need, then you know what is good enough :D.

EDIT - 8700k is probably enough to do both with ease anyway.

SB2 15" - only config is 512GB SSD. CPU is Core i7-8650U. It does squeal a bit as it's being hammered really.

I am looking at 2700x now. Bloody internet, was supposed to be clearing up things, not adding more options.

Soldato
SB2 15" - only config is 512GB SSD. CPU is Core i7-8650U. It does squeal a bit as it's being hammered really.

I am looking at 2700x now. Bloody internet, was supposed to be clearing up things, not adding more options.

I just got the 2700x bundle from overclockers. Pricing is competitive, and the 480gb SSD, whilst not the highest speeds, is effectively free (or damn near). I've not done any streaming etc, but every single review on youtube shows it to be extremely good at it, even on high bitrates etc (8700k can cope well, but the higher things get, the more it struggles, whilst the 2700x carries on nicely).

Comes with the x370 board, having done a lot of research, it seems the only difference between the x470 and x370 is the StoreMI functionality, everything else seems to be bios. x370 gaming k7 also got a very good writeup from buildzoid, seems to be a very high quality board (as you'd expect for a flagship).

Soldato
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £670.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

750w should be fine max - platinum is great if your going to be running PC for long long periods and if you want silence ....

ODE
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £341.08 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

tier 1 PSU with £20 worth silent wing 3 fan in them... but you pay the price!

Associate
OP
I'm kind of sold on Ryzen. BUT...I'd have really preferred Micro ATX. Not sure if that changes/limits my options.

I'll need to look at CPU cooler and case next.

PS thanks both for suggestions. The platinum PSU is expensive, but I think worth it.

Soldato
I'm kind of sold on Ryzen. BUT...I'd have really preferred Micro ATX. Not sure if that changes/limits my options.

I'll need to look at CPU cooler and case next.

PS thanks both for suggestions. The platinum PSU is expensive, but I think worth it.

Would personally go with the gold for costs. and its not always the case Platinum units have the best components - like the King 550/650w units etc

both the bequiet units are ...silent though haha

some mATX cases are almost the same size as atx cases... Jonsbo UMX4 is expensive yet one of the smallest ATX cases you can get, being smaller then most matx.

Phanteks P300 is a pretty small case!

Associate
OP
I think Seasonic PRIME 600 Watt FANLESS SILENT Modular 80+ Titanium PSU/Power Supply is the one for me. It's expensive, but very highly regarded. 600W should be enough power, I'd imagine.

I know it's probably pointless in that I'll have a GPU making loads of racket, but if I can keep my PSU and CPU cooler volumes down, it'll make me happier.

What are my CPU cooler options?

Soldato
I think Seasonic PRIME 600 Watt FANLESS SILENT Modular 80+ Titanium PSU/Power Supply is the one for me. It's expensive, but very highly regarded. 600W should be enough power, I'd imagine.

I know it's probably pointless in that I'll have a GPU making loads of racket, but if I can keep my PSU and CPU cooler volumes down, it'll make me happier.

What are my CPU cooler options?

make sure you've got high positive pressure in your case to force air out of the case and out of the PSU !

have a look at bequiet dark rock 4 and Silent loop 240/280

Associate
OP
Is Air better than AIO? I'm not sold on either. Looking for quietness. Not really going to be overclocking, no intention anyway.

I did read some reviews of the bequiet dark rock pro 4. Seems good other than needing low profile RAM.

Soldato
Is Air better than AIO? I'm not sold on either. Looking for quietness. Not really going to be overclocking, no intention anyway.

I did read some reviews of the bequiet dark rock pro 4. Seems good other than needing low profile RAM.

normal 4 would be fine for ryzen, doesn't have problems like intel, and in theory , a good AIO like silent loop should be quieter , sure to fans needing to spin less . CLC units are normally loud from their asetek pumps and cheaper fans

Associate
OP
I've read some good things about Noctua NH-D15s. Not cheap at £73ish. But seems to be quiet and keeps things cool.

Fractal Design Define R5 Silent Gaming Case with USB 3.0 looks good. £100.

£670 for the CPU, Motherboard and RAM (plus SSD) - Ryzen 7 2800x, 16GB 3200 RAM
£100 for case - R5 windowless
£73 for CPU cooler - NH-D15s
£200 for PSU - SeaSonic fanless

£1043 isn't bad really

Borrow a GPU until 11XX/20XX are announced. Should be good to go?

Soldato
expensive but good, you might have same problems with D15s as with Dark Rock 4 Pro, why i mentioned the standard 4 version.

again worth noting ryzen doesn't run hot like intel coffeelake :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for your help!

What should I do about thermal compound? What's "best"?

Oh...and Windows 10 pro. What options do I have? £230 from MS. Eeek

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom