Pathfinder 2.0 Playtest

Soldato
Anyone else looking forward to this?

I've pre-ordered the hard copies, and am watching the previews as they come out (and promoting them on our podcast Facebook page) because, as a group, we're really looking forward to trying it out. So many of the changes just look like common sense and it sounds really straightforward, yet retaining the depth that Pathfinder is known for (at least that's how it looks from the previews so far).

We'll be moving over to it pretty much straightaway, as I think it's a really good chance to learn a game, as a group, from the very start.

Soldato
Looking forward to it as current pathfinder, whilst interesting in the depth it offers for character development, is a PITA more akin to ADnD or 2e for rules complexity and remembering stuff.

Whilst I'm looking forward to it I do think it will struggle to match the wonderfully simplistic, but brilliantly flexible advantage/disadvantage mechanic.

Soldato
OP
Looking forward to it as current pathfinder, whilst interesting in the depth it offers for character development, is a PITA more akin to ADnD or 2e for rules complexity and remembering stuff.

Whilst I'm looking forward to it I do think it will struggle to match the wonderfully simplistic, but brilliantly flexible advantage/disadvantage mechanic.
It's basically D&D 3.75 - and has had ten years to build on.

In all honesty, while I intend to embrace PF2 fully as it stands, I will almost definitely bring in Inspiration, both DM- and player-awarded. It's something we used to do in 5e and it was a good addition. Basically, each player had one token they could give out during the course of a session to another player when they did something worthy. Only once per session, and with good reason. The DM had unlimited tokens, but I'm stingy with praise :D. Both parties got a shot of exp to go with it. The exp is kind of pointless using the milestone levelling technique, but we'll see how it goes!

Soldato
The missus is adamant we are not switching over for a while for that reason. Can't blame her really.
Probably another 3 months of our weekly game left before we switch to a new system and GM for a bit. Hopefully see more progress by then and I gives me more time to convince her.

Soldato
It's basically D&D 3.75 - and has had ten years to build on.

In all honesty, while I intend to embrace PF2 fully as it stands, I will almost definitely bring in Inspiration, both DM- and player-awarded. It's something we used to do in 5e and it was a good addition. Basically, each player had one token they could give out during the course of a session to another player when they did something worthy. Only once per session, and with good reason. The DM had unlimited tokens, but I'm stingy with praise :D. Both parties got a shot of exp to go with it. The exp is kind of pointless using the milestone levelling technique, but we'll see how it goes!

I've had inspiration off you recently! (Which I still haven't used) and off @Shamikebab (which I haven't used!)

Soldato
OP
The missus is adamant we are not switching over for a while for that reason. Can't blame her really.
Probably another 3 months of our weekly game left before we switch to a new system and GM for a bit. Hopefully see more progress by then and I gives me more time to convince her.
Our podcast is going to move over almost instantly - and the various trials and tribulations will be there for all to hear :D

Soldato
OP
Just back from my holiday and the playtest looks great! Any worries about them dumbing down the system have been blown away. It looks both streamlined and complex at the same time. I'm really looking forward to starting soon!

Soldato
Where might someone find said podcast?

Podbean, iTunes & podcast addict all have it that I know of.

The earlier podcasts are our playthtoigh of Giantslayer and first attempt at podcasting but stick with it as it gets better (as we get better) each episode. Start 2.0 this Monday with a character creation session I believe then into play in a week's time.

Exit: it's called troll4initiative that will help in finding it :p

Soldato
OP
Yep, No1newts is one of my weekly victims :D

And he's actually correct with the schedule - we have a big session zero planned for tomorrow night, and we'll be recording and sharing it all. We just felt the Playtest was a chance to learn a new system (sort of) all together, and there might be groups or players who would benefit from listening to someone else trying to learn the game.

We have one more episode of Giantslayer to upload which will basically take us to the end of the first book. Then from next Wednesday it will be PF2 Playtest material.

You can find the downloads here:
https://troll4i.podbean.com/

or follow the Facebook page here (occasional videos and other links/stories appear here):
https://www.facebook.com/troll4i/

Soldato
OP
Might have a listen myself as we will start our game in a few weeks.
Books not due for another 2 weeks.
Always happy to get feedback (via Facebook is easiest, if possible). We tried to split up the episodes into an hour or so each, so they're good for a commute. The first few episodes have their audio issues as we settle into things, but the latter episodes are better from that point of view.

We recorded our Session Zero for PF2 last night. It turned into character creation, then a quick run through the rules basics - and next Monday we record Chapter 1 of Doomsday Dawn from the PDFs.

Back
Top Bottom