UHD Bluray drives for PC?

Soldato
I was all set to buy the Pioneer blu ray drive for a new PC build for when I get a 4K tv later this year. As I won't have HDMI 2.0 on the motherboard, would it be pointless buying it? What are the chances of graphics cards being supported in the future to watch 4K discs?
Right now yes its pointless. You must have a HDMI 2.0 or newer motherboard. This excludes ALL recent AMD CPU + mobos as they do not have the on chip CPU hardware required for playback its an Intel only hardware monopoly.

Its way cheaper to buy a PS4 or Xbox 1X for 4k UHD playback cheapest PC solution is around £1k!

Associate
Right now yes its pointless. You must have a HDMI 2.0 or newer motherboard. This excludes ALL recent AMD CPU + mobos as they do not have the on chip CPU hardware required for playback its an Intel only hardware monopoly.

Its way cheaper to buy a PS4 or Xbox 1X for 4k UHD playback cheapest PC solution is around £1k!

I'd be getting a blu ray drive anyway for my region locked discs. But may as well put the extra between a standard and 4K PC drive towards a standalone player with HDR. As I'm pretty sure no console has this capability for 4K films.

EDIT: Meant to say consoles don’t support Dolby Vision, not HDR.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was all set to buy the Pioneer blu ray drive for a new PC build for when I get a 4K tv later this year. As I won't have HDMI 2.0 on the motherboard, would it be pointless buying it? What are the chances of graphics cards being supported in the future to watch 4K discs?

No it not pointless buy Ultra HD Blu-ray drive if you wont have HDMI 2.0 on motherboard for a new Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake PC build but pointless for Ryzen PC build but that may change soon as Cyberlink announced CyberLink Joins Working Group Developing UHD-BD for PC back in November 2017. They probably already working on Ultra HD Blu-ray support for both AMD & Nvidia graphics cards.

MelonGx on Blu-ray.com forum confirmed he able to playback 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray from HDMI 1.4 port on Gigabyte Z370N-WIFI motherboard.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=287599&page=41

Accorded to triffid post that Cyberlink added Gigabyte Z370N-WIFI and Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray motherboards compatibility list.

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=19860

Hmmm my Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 is on the list, the board only have HDMI 1.4 port, interesting!

Triffid compiled full list of HDMI 2.0 motherboards.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13271422&postcount=108

The cheapest Z370 HDMI 2.0 motherboard I found is Gigabyte Z370N-WIFI for £141.95

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...1151-ddr4-mini-itx-motherboard-mb-562-gi.html

Soldato
Never touching media pc systems again ... Had it back in hd-dvd days Software that lasts forfabout 2 years of updates then you havehto pay again or your players a brick. No thanks Dedicated all day long.

What a load of rubbish nonsense, Cyberlink never bricked PowerDVD software when it reached EOL! My Dell laptop had PowerDVD 13 bundle able to playback Rogue One: A Star Wars Story released in 2017 just fine. It also playback fine on Leawo Blu-ray player you can download it for free.

http://leawo.net/blu-ray-player/

Actually from PowerDVD 10 and above, the software last much longer than 2 years with updates.

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdvd-ultra/patches_en_GB.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerDVD#Version_history

PowerDVD 10 launched in 2010 lasted 4 years, PowerDVD 11 launched in 2011 lasted 5 years and PowerDVD 12-17 still support future updates.

And they've made it even worse these days with the crazy specs needed.

Kaby Lake Core i3 7100 and Coffee Lake Core i3 8100 are not that crazy specs, these 2 CPUs not that expensive at less than £100.

Last edited:
Soldato

No it not pointless, you really don't need HDMI 2.0 motherboard to watch 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray movies WITHOUT HDR so if you want to watch 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray HDR movies then you will need HDMI 2.0 motherboard.

PS4 do not have a Ultra HD Blu-ray drive, actually I can build cheapest 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray playback PC solution for around £600 OR less than £400 by upgrade PC. Still a lot cheaper than Oppo UDP-205 4K Ultra HD Blu Ray Player that cost at insanely £1399 price.

Soldato
I'd be getting a blu ray drive anyway for my region locked discs. But may as well put the extra between a standard and 4K PC drive towards a standalone player with HDR. As I'm pretty sure no console has this capability for 4K films.

EDIT: Meant to say consoles don’t support Dolby Vision, not HDR.

I read months ago on Cyberlink forum, a rep confirmed development team are currently working on add Dolby Vision support in future PowerDVD update.

Soldato
No it not pointless, you really don't need HDMI 2.0 motherboard to watch 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray movies WITHOUT HDR so if you want to watch 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray HDR movies then you will need HDMI 2.0 motherboard.

PS4 do not have a Ultra HD Blu-ray drive, actually I can build cheapest 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray playback PC solution for around £600 OR less than £400 by upgrade PC. Still a lot cheaper than Oppo UDP-205 4K Ultra HD Blu Ray Player that cost at insanely £1399 price.
How many 4K UHD Discs (RIPS do not count) do you actually own as HDR IS the main reason for the format most movies look little different to BD as they are 2k upscales (unless a recent movie or expensive restoration conversion) the main differences are HDR & WCG so as I said its a pointless exercise on PC when discs now cost about £12-15 each (when you buy 2 at once) why bother ripping 66-100GB of HD space per movie when discs are so cheap. I know all about certain programs which do this but cannot fathom why anyone is interested when the HD space to store them is way more than the disc you own forever!

You can also buy a decent UHD player for only £170-190 now which also has Region B BD playback. No 4K UHD is region locked either. PC hardware pricing for UHD playback from scratch is utterly ridiculous its obvious they want to put every single roadblock obstruction in place to limit it from the mainstream.

Associate
I just hope graphics cards are supported sooner rather than later. About to get a new pc and the motherboard doesn’t have 2.0. Seems crazy to have to own one of very few motherboards to enjoy all the benefits of 4K. The whole hdr, Dolby vision etc compatibility in general is a bit of a mess right now.

Soldato
How many 4K UHD Discs (RIPS do not count) do you actually own as HDR IS the main reason for the format most movies look little different to BD as they are 2k upscales (unless a recent movie or expensive restoration conversion) the main differences are HDR & WCG so as I said its a pointless exercise on PC when discs now cost about £12-15 each (when you buy 2 at once) why bother ripping 66-100GB of HD space per movie when discs are so cheap. I know all about certain programs which do this but cannot fathom why anyone is interested when the HD space to store them is way more than the disc you own forever!

You can also buy a decent UHD player for only £170-190 now which also has Region B BD playback. No 4K UHD is region locked either. PC hardware pricing for UHD playback from scratch is utterly ridiculous its obvious they want to put every single roadblock obstruction in place to limit it from the mainstream.

I wont bothered about ripping Ultra HD Blu-ray because prices of hard drives are utterly ridiculous high price, it really not worth it. Gladly PowerDVD has a killer feature that let you to streaming media library, DVD, Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray movies to mobile phones running iOS or Android, PCs, laptops, tablets and HDTVs. None of all DVD, Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray players has a feature that let you streaming DVD, Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray movies to mobile phones, PCs, laptops and HDTVs in other rooms. PowerDVD will have Digital Bridge feature in future update that will let people to download Ultra HD Blu-ray movies and possible both DVD and Blu-ray movies to mobile phones, PCs, laptops, NAS, hard drives and SD cards to watch movies offline instead of streaming from PowerDVD and save some money rather than buy same movies at either Apple store, Google store or Rakuten TV.

No you wont find a decent or perfect UHD player for £170-£190 that don't have all features like Panasonic DMP-UB300EB launched back in March 2017 for about £299 but the price plummet to £149 just this month, I found retailers outlets are now selling refurnished Panasonic DMP-UB300EB stock at £99 each and also found used Panasonic DMP-UB300EB was sold at as low as £79. It seemed Panasonic DMP-UB300EB is not very good at 1080p Blu-ray playback but suffered very badly at DVD playback accorded to some reviews, no wonder why so many customers returned it cos of so many issues and it look like Panasonic DMP-UB300EB is probably now closer to EOL. You will not able to find a £170-£190 UHD player that have Dolby Vision feature, it is confirmed Star Wars: The Last Jedi 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray has a release date 27 March 2018 next month will have Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision support.

http://www.nextgenhometheater.com/2...-confirmed-in-dolby-atmos-vision-on-march-27/

Blu-ray Assocation announced just last month that Ultra HD Blu-ray spec are now upgraded to v3.2 to added optional support for HDR10+ and Philips/Technicolor’s SL-HDR2.

http://fromvinyltoplastic.com/ces-2018-hdr10-update/

So this mean all 2016 and 2017 Ultra HD Blu-ray players are all now obsoleted as manufacturers are prepare to launch new 2018 high end models that supported new features like Dolby Vision, HDR10+, Philips/Technicolor’s SL-HDR2, Amazon Alexa Google Assistant and others.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/panas...-player-supports-dolby-vision-hdr10-and-alexa

I know there are many naïve people who spend fortunes to upgraded Blu-ray players and HDTVs every year for new features and lost value for money all the time, it just massive waste of money as Blu-ray probably now upgraded to Profile 6.1 or 7 support HDR10+ and Philips/Technicolor’s SL-HDR2.

PC is still cheaper and best way to watch DVD, Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray with PowerDVD and Leawo, hopefully Leawo will have Ultra HD Blu-ray support soon. I wont buy players ever again after I had bad experience with my Liteon DVD recorder bought back around 2005 for £239 bundled with 50 DVD+R blank discs free bundle which I thought it was a bargain but later discovered that my Liteon DVD recorder was discontinued just a few months after I bought then Liteon stopped firmware support rendered my Liteon DVD recorder obsoleted and garbage that it cannot playback newer DVD titles, it was absolutely shamble so I was really very relieved that my PC with very old DVDRW drive and PowerDVD was able to playback newer DVD titles perfect that the embarrassed expensive Liteon DVD recorder cant do it. My late dad had the same issue with LG DVD-VHS Combo player with newer DVD titles in living room, my nephew had same issue with £599 Panasonic Blu-ray profile 1.0 player and my sister's boyfriend had same issue with £150 Samsung Blu-ray profile 5.0 player bought just 3 years ago cannot playback newer Blu-ray titles when there was no new firmwares then I lend him my 5 years old USB Blu-ray drive and he connected it to his Acer laptop ran PowerDVD 15 free bundle able to playback newer Blu-ray titles perfect. He cannot afford to kept upgrade Blu-ray players every year as he have low income job, it no point to sell his Samung player and lose probably £75 or more which is a massive loss of value. It just not worth it.

PC FTW is much better, cheaper, better resale value and more future proof.

Associate
I just hope graphics cards are supported sooner rather than later. About to get a new pc and the motherboard doesn’t have 2.0. Seems crazy to have to own one of very few motherboards to enjoy all the benefits of 4K. The whole hdr, Dolby vision etc compatibility in general is a bit of a mess right now.

The crazy world we live in.
It was said that with New Pioneer UHD player for the PC if you want to watch 4k UHD movies you Must need HDMI 2.0a (For HDR) & HDCP 2.2 on both UHD player & TV/Monitor to enjoy 4K UHD & HDR playback if you don't have this your playback is in HD, I also read that on many manufactures websites this year It is also said that 4K UHD players also need the above to work !

But HDMI 1.4 was released on May 28, 2009 & HDMI 1.4a was released on March 4, 2010 so it took them just one year? but to reach HDMI 2.0a was released on April 8, 2015 so it took 5 years? also HDMI 2.1 was officially announced by the HDMI Forum on January 4, 2017 only year! so to my point why did all the computer companies place orders for HDMI1.4 in computers TV/Monitors & MB that was sold just two years ago when is 2015 HDMI2.0a was ready out?:mad::mad:

Another Lie IMO the manufactures are releasing the HDMI2.0a has something new but in fact HDMI2.1 is new came out last year with the doubles the signaling rate of the data with Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable (48G Cable) – 4K, 5K, 8K and 10K at 120 Hz is enough for 8K resolution at approximately 50 Hz over and we have been told the HDMI2.0a just came to the market this year 2018?

The first HDCP 1.0 as a "Digital Output Protection Technology" was release on Feb 17, 2000 for DVI, 1.1 took 3 years in the making and was release on Jun 9, 2003 DVI,HDMI, and 1.2 took another three years and but only one year for 1.3 Dec 21, 2006, HDMI, DP, and so on. On August 4, 2004 it was not until Oct 16, 2012 HDCP 2.2 came out and we are to are today been told in the reviews online in 2018 that it's new HDCP 2.2?:eek:When connecting a HDCP 2.2 source device through compatible distribution to a video wall made of multiple legacy displays the ability to display an image can not be guaranteed. Your computer is not yours anymore because of HDCP is meant to avoid direct copying of content, and such devices could conceivably do exactly that.

I am been lied to many time what is the real truth? of 4K Because a 4K player can play 4k movies on a TV/monitor with the old HDMI1.4 but only @24/30fps with no HDR, and we all know and have been told HDCP 2.2 is not backward compatible to HDCP 1.4 most TV/Monitors today don't have the HDMI2.0a/HDCP2.2 also some motherboards don't have them yet? manufactures been lazy

But here is a question if you look at the Aorus GTX 1080 TI it has HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2, also 1.4DP@60hz if you look in your NVidia settings it stats your graphic card and monitor is HDCP compatible but don't give you the version number 1.4/2.2. So how do a Pioneer UHD player that is contacted to a Sata port in your computer know your monitor is not HDCP 2.2? or HDMI 2.0a?? when your graphic card is contacted with the Monitor DP only!! and not with HDMI do you still loose out?

But I found there is way around the HDMI 2.0a & HDCP 2.2 Madness a few online companies have made a Converter HDCP 2.2 to HDCP 1.4 that tricks the Monitor/TV in believing it's a HDCP 2.2 and still play 4K UHD movies with a UHD player @24/30fps and who cares it's not (HDR);)@50/60fps is it worth the extra £/$?:) when 6k, 7k, is coming out next or are they going to slow down the market again?

And wait another 5 years in making:D:)

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry but there are ways around the HDMI 2.0a & HDCP 2.2 Madness that will save allots of pennies just buy a Converter HDCP 2.2 to HDCP 1.4 online that tricks the Monitor/TV in believing it's a HDCP 2.2 and still play 4K UHD movies with a UHD player @24/30fps and who cares it's not (HDR);)@50/60fps
If like me you bought an expensive standalone 4K UHD Player & 4K UHD HDTV you would know that HDR is the main reason to invest in 4K to begin with. This is why PC 4K playback is so far behind & way too expensive its clear they do not want 4K on PC anytime soon unless your prepared to spend silly money. Unless you have a full HDR compatible system (display, 18Gbps cables & playback chain) 4K UHD is not really even worth investing in as the only difference you will see over BD is the WCG & that is only if your display can show that for many they will see slightly better transfers with less colour banding but that is about it!

Associate
If like me you bought an expensive standalone 4K UHD Player & 4K UHD HDTV you would know that HDR is the main reason to invest in 4K to begin with. This is why PC 4K playback is so far behind & way too expensive its clear they do not want 4K on PC anytime soon unless your prepared to spend silly money. Unless you have a full HDR compatible system (display, 18Gbps cables & playback chain) 4K UHD is not really even worth investing in as the only difference you will see over BD is the WCG & that is only if your display can show that for many they will see slightly better transfers with less colour banding but that is about it!

I was just shocked that the lazy manufactures knew too well that HDMI2.0a was already out in 2015 and they kept it back for another three years to only then release it in 2018 as a new HDMI, so in the past two years they sold the HDMI1.4 in all Computer MB, also 4k TV's & Monitors I have the acer Predator XB321HK with HDMI 1.4 so to cut down on the price they installed a 1.4 I wouldn't say paying £750. is cheap would you? at that price I could have brought a LG 42" 4K UHD with HDR and HDMI 2.0 but I didn't know that the at the time, I read that you can only watch 4k movies on a 1.4 but only at 24/30fps not 50/60 because it needs HDMI 2.0/2.0a

I was going to buy a Samsung 4k UHD player and use the Converter HDCP 2.2 to HDCP 1.4 on my Acer 4K HDCP monitor so I can get a much better picture with my Blu-ray disks collection then a 1080p but now I know this I might be wasting more money what do you think?

Most reviews on the Acer XB321HK states there is no HDCP on this monitor and some say it only 1.4 but on my computer NVidia control panel it say "This display supports HDCP" now I am confuse! I know my GTX 1080 ti card is HDCP 2.2 also have HDMI2.0 & DP1.4@60hz but I am using a DP1.2 on the monitor because there is no 1.4

But here is madness part my GTX is HDCP2.2 and is not backward compatible to HDCP 1.4 so if my monitor is only a HDCP1.4 that can be right? so why do they say it not HDCP/HDCP 1.4? do they know is not backward compatible.!!!:confused: so if my monitor is 2.2 I don't need the Converter right? in the HDMI 1.4

Last edited:
Soldato

Yes very few Z170, Z270 and Z370 motherboards had HDMI 2.0, Intel will launch new budget H370, B360 and H310 motherboards soon in Q1 probably by end of Feb or March so it possible some of these cheap budget motherboards may will have HDMI 2.0 support, I cant find motherboards spec so we will have to wait and see.

Yes the whole HDR compatibility is a massive headache for me too, now there are 6 HDR standards: HDR10, Dolby Vision, HLG, SL-HDR1, HDR10+ and SL-HDR2.

I had spend hours looked around shops online to find HDTVs from Sony, Samsung, Sharp, Panasonic, Philips, Hisense, Loewe and LG to find what HDR standards they have and decide what my next 4K HDR HDTV could be. Years ago my first preference was Samsung but I was not impressed that they now only supported HDR10 and now HDR10+ via firmware update but not HLG. BBC may will have Doctor Who series 11 in 4K HLG HDR, Samsung made a massive mistake not supported both Dolby Vision and HLG. Sony HDTVs supported HDR10 and HLG, some Sony HDTVs have upcoming firmware that will add Dolby Vision support but will not supported HDR10+. I am write this post on my Sharp Aquos 32 inch LC32LE600E, it amazing HDTV still going strong for 8 years since bought back in 2010 so don't know what HDR standards Sharp supported as their UK website do not have HDTVs, all shops no longer stock Sharp HDTVs. Panasonic supported HDR10 and HLG, some models will have upcoming firmware add HDR10+ support. Philips only supported HDR10 but may consider under review to add HDR10+ and Dolby Vision support to new 2018 models. Hisense supported HDR10 and HLG. Very expensive brand I never heard Loewe supported HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision.

I think I am really very impressed with LG supported HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision and SL-HDR1, LG probably will have firmware soon to add HDR10+ and possible SL-HDR2 support so LG can have all 6 HDR standards.

https://www.technicolor.com/news/technicolors-sl-hdr1-and-what-it-means-proposed-standard-atsc

Managed to find cheapest LG 43 inch 2017 model LG 43UJ750V that support HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision and SL-HDR1 can be found for just £499 at Currys that is sound really very temping bargain price plus you can get 2.5% cashback if you get one at Hughes. :D

Think I made up my decision that my next 4K HDR HDTV will be LG so I wont worry about HDR standards. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
This is why PC 4K playback is so far behind & way too expensive its clear they do not want 4K on PC anytime soon unless your prepared to spend silly money.

What a load of nonsense, you are absolutely clueless.

No, PC 4K playback is not far behind, they are not too expensive, it is very clearest that quite many people like me are already running old, current and new PC games at 4K on Nvidia DSR and AMD VSR on 1080p monitors and HDTVs will want to buy 4K monitors and HDTVs to watch 4K streaming and 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray soon. It does not cost much silly money compared to 1997 when I spend about £500 to build my first PC.

http://www.in2013dollars.com/1997-GBP-in-2018?amount=500

Adjusted inflation to today price is £882 so build 2018 bare minimum PC hardware solution included Pioneer BDR-211EBK drive cost £600 or £555 if you included £60 LG/HL BU50N slim drive and £20 5.25 inch bay adapter for optical slim drive are actually much cheaper than my first PC build with Gigabyte GA-5AX motherboard, AMD K6-2 3DNow! 300MHz CPU and Pioneer 104S DVD drive. PowerDVD 17 system requirement for 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray playback to use SGX extensions is no different to the very first PowerDVD version 1.5 in 1997 system requirement for DVD playback to use AMD K6, K6-2 3DNow CPUs and above or Intel Pentium MMX CPUs while AMD K5, Intel 486, Intel Pentium, Cyrix 4x86, Cyrix 5x86, Cyrix 6x86/MII was not supported because these CPUs did not have MMX extensions set.

Soldato
I was just shocked that the lazy manufactures knew too well that HDMI2.0a was already out in 2015 and they kept it back for another three years to only then release it in 2018 as a new HDMI, so in the past two years they sold the HDMI1.4 in all Computer MB, also 4k TV's & Monitors I have the acer Predator XB321HK with HDMI 1.4 so to cut down on the price they installed a 1.4 I wouldn't say paying £750. is cheap would you? at that price I could have brought a LG 42" 4K UHD with HDR and HDMI 2.0 but I didn't know that the at the time, I read that you can only watch 4k movies on a 1.4 but only at 24/30fps not 50/60 because it needs HDMI 2.0/2.0a

I was going to buy a Samsung 4k UHD player and use the Converter HDCP 2.2 to HDCP 1.4 on my Acer 4K HDCP monitor so I can get a much better picture with my Blu-ray disks collection then a 1080p but now I know this I might be wasting more money what do you think?

Most reviews on the Acer XB321HK states there is no HDCP on this monitor and some say it only 1.4 but on my computer NVidia control panel it say "This display supports HDCP" now I am confuse! I know my GTX 1080 ti card is HDCP 2.2 also have HDMI2.0 & DP1.4@60hz but I am using a DP1.2 on the monitor because there is no 1.4

But here is madness part my GTX is HDCP2.2 and is not backward compatible to HDCP 1.4 so if my monitor is only a HDCP1.4 that can be right? so why do they say it not HDCP/HDCP 1.4? do they know is not backward compatible.!!!:confused: so if my monitor is 2.2 I don't need the Converter right? in the HDMI 1.4

Hmmm I looked at your posts then had done research and googled for around 30 mins tried to find solution that many people like you were stumped had tried HDCP 2.2 to HDCP 1.4 converter or HDCP 2.2 to HDCP 1.4 splitters or DisplayPort to HDMI adapter or HDMI 1.4 cable all not worked with Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, PS4, PS4 Pro, Blu-ray or Ultra HD Blu-ray players.

So look like I probably finally found a solution on OP last post he managed to got it worked with Xbox One.

Just a quick update, I just tried setting everything up using a HDMI 2.0 cable and everything works fine. The monitor must not be backwards compatible with 1.4 then I guess. Thanks for the help anyway.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/744941-hdmi-isnt-working-on-my-new-monitor/

Guess you need HDMI 2.0a only cable or HDMI 2.0b only cable that must not have backwards compatible with HDMI 1.4.

I suppose XB321HK really have a HDMI 2.0a port.

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/336a702

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not in a great rush to buy a new pc but I also don't want to wait and wait to see what might be released in the way of good quality HDMI 2.0 motherboards. I'll just get the pioneer blu ray drive to watch upscaled region locked blu rays for when I replace my ageing plasma this year. I'll be getting a dedicated 4k player to make the most of discs with an LG OLED.

Associate
Guess you need HDMI 2.0a only cable or HDMI 2.0b only cable that must not have backwards compatible with HDMI 1.4.

I suppose XB321HK really have a HDMI 2.0a port. https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/336a702

Thanks for the help and link.

I find this interesting that this monitor have a 2x HDMI 2.0? But I have only one DP1.2 port & HDMI 1.4 port also two USB 3.0 ports at the back So having a HDMI 1.4 can only run @24/30fps on 4K UHD Blu-ray disk but great for just Blu-ray. a HDMI 2.0 cable is backwards compatible to 1.4

But

My Aorus GTX 1080 TI is HDCP2.2 and if my monitor was not HDCP 2.2 by the reviews and only 1.4 it would not say "your graphics card and display is HDCP compatible" in the NVidia control panel on the computer because HDCP 2.2 is not backwards compatible to 1.4?

To run a 4k UHD movies you need a HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 with HDR but if you don't want HDR or your TV/monitor don't support it you still can run 4k on a HDMI 1.4 but only at 30fps because as you would know 2.0a is only for HDR @50/60fps movies.

A Samsung 4k UHD player states in the manual book if your TV/Monitor is not HDCP 2.2 & HDMI 2.0a your 4k movies would only play in HD.

Associate
Acer G-sync
But this is not the only problem with the monitor it has a nasty RGB strip running down one side of the monitor it flickers for few sec it hard to take an image of it but you can see it in G-sync when it on or off and I have been on the Acer forums to report it but I am not the only one Acer blame the panel manufacture now members of the public have report it, and there was a panel problem at the time but Acer didn't say anything at the release date in 2016 Benq also uses the same panel some members have sent back the monitors to Acer for a replacement but got the same problem again the fight continual my monitor is only 9 month old maybe that's why acer only gave it a two warranty.

You have only two options with Acer live with it or get a replacement and live with it again out of warranty.

On the Acer forum by another member it reads
The reason that 22 threads went poof is due to the fact that an ACER rep came on and explicitly admitted that ACER was in fact aware of the issue the entire time, however the fact that it was part of a defect w/ the original panel mfc, and it was to expensive for them to fix, meaning that there was no insurance with the panel mfc to fix their own issue, ACER ultimately dropped it and removed the evidence, but its still up on the internet archives and those that took screenshots.

Due to the sheer amount of returns at amazon/newegg they removed it so that it would not be linked to, luckily I was able to show newegg on mine prior to them taking it down to which I got a full refund.

What does this mean? Acer does not care about you 1 bit, it is simply in the business to make money, and while that is the goal of any business, there is 0 as far as customer support.

FYI for those that were curious, Acer tried to hide a LOT of information after it blew up

This is what I mean
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFDtw8jh-Cw

Last edited:
Soldato

Can't you buy an external 4k player and simply hdmi it to your monitor for cheapness and simplicity?

Back
Top Bottom