BT vs. Vodafone Broadband

Associate
Hi all,

Just looking at getting broadband from one of the above. With offers Vodafone works out slightly cheaper.

There's a BT line installed, but as I can't fill in the telephone number (New house and sellers are taking the number with them), Vodafone website says I have to add a £60 line install fee (don't with BT) Therefore, price works out quite similar.

What I'm asking is... Any recommendations? Is it just a case of picking one and hoping for the best?

Thanks

Soldato
Only thing I can input is that having worked for Vodafone in various roles over 3 yrs until 2016, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole as their customer service is beyond awful.

Soldato
Next to no difference, they are all utter garbage if anything goes wrong. At all other times they are fine.

BT is an order of magnitude more expensive than Talk Talk, Plusnet, Vodaphone etc.

Associate
I switched to Vodafone from Sky.

Well, I say I did, I tried to anyway. The migration failed for whatever reason (can blame BT openreach for that I guess). What followed was 3+ weeks of dealing with Vodafone's utterly inept customer service. In the end I migrated away out of sheer frustration. They never did provide me with broadband. Didn't stop them trying to bill me though. I will never ever consider them for any service ever again.

As soon as I migrated away again I have had absolutely no issues.

Caporegime
That £60 fee is if they need to install a line to the property I believe, it shouldn’t matter about phone numbers being migrated. I’ve signed up before a house move and only needed the postcode and address, you can order without a phone number in place.

Caporegime
Vodafone don't offer IPv6 and don't have it roadmapped, neither do Plusnet or TalkTalk. Sky and BT both do.

Soldato
My Vodafone connection has been fine. However my go-live was a shambles.
I'm out of contract now - just seeing what Sky will offer me on moving to Q if I also take my broadband with me, otherwise I may well just re-contract with Vodafone.

Soldato
I'm on vodafone, the service is fine all be it slightly slower than what we had with sky. As above said customer service is woeful and their router is terrible, I use my own as a WAP but setting that up was a pain with the supplied router. Even with the above issues though it's so much cheaper than the other options that it is worth it.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies everyone! And also for directing me to the right area of the forum - spent enough time lurking to have known :D

I think my perfectionism was trying to get me to have a clear 'right' choice. This has helped me to see that is not possible! Which has actually been very useful and makes me less stressed about it haha

Soldato
Bringing up an old thread here.

I am in my renewal period for BT and considering moving elsewhere. However, BT has always been good to me in terms of speed (good 45mb down), good ping, no packet loss, etc. Being a fps gamer, these things matter :)

How does Vodafone perform in these areas? Or even Plusnet / Sky?

Many thanks in advance for any insight :)

Soldato
Having rung isps 100s of times over the last decade bt are the easiest to get issues sorted if you have them.. Personnly I'd go with the best deal.. Unless it's virgin cable it's the same line running to your house.. As long as you are fairly tech savvy support does not matter..

Soldato
Having rung isps 100s of times over the last decade bt are the easiest to get issues sorted if you have them.. Personnly I'd go with the best deal.. Unless it's virgin cable it's the same line running to your house.. As long as you are fairly tech savvy support does not matter..

Was that on reply to me? :)

If so, thanks - I'm just trying to learn more about the general network performance being the same, I'm not anticipating any phone calls.

Ps. Staying clear of Virgin and their poor performance

Soldato
Yes - they are all pretty much the same and none of the main ones are prone to congestion issues in peek times in their own network.

Just go with what ever the cheapest is between BT/Sky/Plusnet/Talk Talk/EE/Vodafone after Quidco cash back and any sign up bonuses.

Had most of the above and there is no real difference between them. Currently on Talk Talk but contract is up soon and I’ll be evaluating options.

Back
Top Bottom