16GB enough for gamer?

Associate
Anything more than 16GB is downright overkill. Hell, even "top spec" RAM is overkill in most systems, it's so much faster than most other architecture.

Associate
If you're mostly just gaming then you should be fine with 16GB... the only time where 16GB may not be enough is if a game has a terrible memory leak issue (most games get that issue patched out) or if you're playing Skyrim/Fallout 4 and running an insane amount of resource hungry mods.

Associate
Only game I have seen that recommends 32Gb for it's ideal spec is DCS World. Apparently with 16Gb on some maps on multiplayer you can actually run out of texture recache RAM, causing disk access stutters.

Associate
How long do you think 16GB is future proof with the next generation of VR headsets, and if buying todays 32Gb sets will be a lot slower than the next few years of versions. I ask this as a VR enthusiast, I am in the market for 16gb to use up spare parts for a second rig. Though should i spend 180 odd quid on these, or buy a set of 32 Gb now put that in my current 8700k 1080ti setup rather than be that £180 out of pocket a couple of years down the line when i might need 32Gb, and I could have just ported my 16 GB current sticks to the second rig?

Associate
Just want to double check something I think I already know the answer to?
16GB is plenty for a gamer and web user? I don't stream and very rarely any more edit videos.
8GB is probably ample for gaming at the moment , 16gb is just an upgrade that you might as well do if your already running 8gb and have some cash to splash! :) well that’s my opinion and what other people have said to me when I built my first computer a couple of years back , I don’t think many games have become that demanding since then.

Soldato
The only game that I can think of which eats up my PC's memory is Cities Skylines. But that only happens when I use a stack of custom assets from the workshop.
If you were addicted to the Steam workshop in that game you would use beyond 16GB, I have read of people upgrading to 32GB for that reason.

It does help having 11GB of memory on my 1080Ti as that seems to fill up when using those assets.

Last edited:
Just moved to 16GB as it saves me closing multiple chrome tabs and other programs if I fancy a quick game of BF.

To be honest I went second hand which is taking a chance but came away with gskill Flare X 3200c14 for £156 (thanks in part to ebay promotional sale). It was at least a bit more reasonable. AMD branded but same as their other 3200c14 RAM so plug in, set XMP and enjoy (z170).

Nothing comes close to 16GB that I do and I would guess the system as a whole will be replaced before the RAM is added to.

Back
Top Bottom