• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 64-bit CPUs

Associate
Hi,

My (fairly old) self-built PC seems to be getting slower, I think because when web-browsing with many tabs, its 4gb RAM is too little. I am running Win 7 32-bit, so am wondering about upgrading to Win 7 64-bit and increasing RAM. I have an Asus M5A78L mobo, which I think will run 64-bit CPUs. I currently have an AMD FX-4170, which I think is a 32-bit CPU. Can anyone explain which AMD FX- or other suitable CPUs are 64-bit capable, so I can upgrade? The mobo socket handles up to AM3+.

Thanks.

Soldato
All of their processors can run 64bit including the FX-4170. Without overhauling the whole system to newer stuff, your best bet would be a FX-8350. But I'd imagine the RAM and OS change should do the trick.

Associate
OP
All of their processors can run 64bit including the FX-4170. Without overhauling the whole system to newer stuff, your best bet would be a FX-8350. But I'd imagine the RAM and OS change should do the trick.
Thanks, I Googled the subject, and people said to check Windows Start menu/System Info, and if it said the CPU was x86 (instead of x64), it means 32-bit, which mine did. Were they wrong?

Soldato
and if it said the CPU was x86 (instead of x64), it means 32-bit, which mine did. Were they wrong?
Yes. That check only means it is reporting in 32bit currently....but that's because you have a 32bit OS installed so it wouldn't be reporting in 64bit.

When you install your new OS, your current AMD processor will say x86-64, which is how AMD process 64bit applications.

Associate
OP
youll be limited to 3gb addressable anyway with a 32bit system , another gb from an os upgrade should help a wee bitty
Actually, I've already upgraded to 8GB in preparation, but of course Win 7 32-bit can only see 3.2GB - I can see from Task Manager that when RAM usage gets much over 2GB the system slows down..

Associate
An ssd will make your system nice and snappy ,also a clean install of Windows will help.

4gb ram is more than enough for web browsing with multiple tabs

Associate
OP
I've just installed an FX-8350. It runs at 4.0ghz and has a turbo setting up to 4.2, but I'd like to overclock it further. I have dabbled with altering clock ratios before and could do that again. But this is a Black edition, and has the CPU-VID unlocked too. (AMD Overdrive shows it at a default of 1.35v, but the slider goes up to 1.41v). Is it best just to up the clock ratio, or up the voltage as well? If so, do I up the voltage by one step per 100mhz clock speed, or is there a safer way of jointly increasing them?

Associate
Easiest thing to do is up the multiplier and give it some move volts. Somewhere around 4.8GHz or 4.7GHz should be comfortably possible with volts around 1.38v I think. 1.35v is actually plenty, you could easily undervolt and keep it at the same speed, about 1.3-1.25v should be fine at stock.

Back
Top Bottom